Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 85644 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #2750: November 12, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »
A cousin in Vesterålen sent a picture he took at midnight on summer solstice...his kids were playing in the yard and there were shadows like one would see in late afternoon here.  I guess you wear shades to bed like Roy Orbison.   

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2751: November 13, 2020, 08:08:14 AM »
A cousin in Vesterålen sent a picture he took at midnight on summer solstice...his kids were playing in the yard and there were shadows like one would see in late afternoon here.  I guess you wear shades to bed like Roy Orbison.   

My only experience with something like this came in St. Petersburg, Russia in August, where they don't quite have sunshine at midnight but they have this weird dawn-like glow in the sky all night. My hotel room came equipped with thick dark curtains, which I definitely needed in order to sleep.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2752: November 13, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »
Ha yes I got Global Entry in late December 2019...what an epic waste of money that turned out to be. My global entry interview was the last time I was inside of an airport. At least I got a REAL ID out of it, I believe.

I wasn't flying all that often anymore even prior to the pandemic, but I enrolled in Pre-Check last January, primarily because I was at Penn Station in New York and they had a walk-in location that didn't require an advance appointment. American Express reimbursed me for the enrollment fee, so in the end it doesn't matter much that I haven't had any reason to use it yet.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #2753: November 19, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
COME SEE WHERE IT ALL BEGAN! City of Wuhan launches tourism promotion campaign: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/13240633/wuhan-tourist-travel-china-holiday-coronavirus/

Wonder if their deluxe vacation package includes dinner at the Huanan Seafood Wholesale Market....

(China Southern Airlines, until recently a member of the Skyteam alliance, at least used to have direct flights to Wuhan from JFK and San Francisco.)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2754: November 19, 2020, 12:23:58 PM »
Hey, why not.  Everyone has been to Pripyat already.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2755: November 19, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
Hey, why not.  Everyone has been to Pripyat already.

Ah, Pripyat... where you don't need to be pregnant for people to comment, 'You're just glowing!'

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2756: November 20, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »
I had to cancel my trip to Pripyat because of coronavirus...too soon for these jokes :(

Offline OldChelsea

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2758: November 23, 2020, 09:07:22 AM »
Canadian border closure extended to 21st December: https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/11/20/us-canada-border-closure-covid/?itid=hp_travel
The Toronto Raptors are going to start their season in Tampa due to this issue.  Not sure what will happen with the NHL. I believe they are considering a new division alignment and would perhaps have an all Canadian division that would only play each other at the start of the season.

Offline OldChelsea

Offline imref

• Redemption

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #2761: November 23, 2020, 01:08:13 PM »
that's not a good thing right now

Not really, when one considers that some airlines are already selling their aircraft to capacity.

Offline MonsterUSMC

• GO NATS! GO TAR HEELS!!!
« Reply #2762: November 23, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
We just cancelled our Thanksgiving plans due to a COVID scare.  Looks like we will be staying in VA this year.