Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 81490 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am the liquor.
I wouldn't describe Rock Island as anything other than a shiitehole. 

Offline Count Walewski

I wouldn't describe Rock Island as anything other than a shiitehole. 

I've never been to the Quad Cities, except for being driven through them once as a kid on a family roadtrip. Excited to see all the tourist attractions there: John Deere HQ, the Colonel Davenport House (in Rock Island, not Davenport), the Vander Veer Botanical Garden, the Fryxell Geology Museum (if Augustana University is open in Sep), and that Lincoln statue located in front of a railroad bridge whose construction was allowed by a lawsuit where Lincoln represented the railroad company against entrenched ferry interests, etc.

Can't find anything to do in Bettendorf, though I will surely enter it just to I can say I've been to all 4 quad cities.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am the liquor.
Spent two days in Rock Island and I'd rather be sent to LA County jail as a dirty cop than ever step foot there again.  Just a real boring town that's depressing even in the summer time. 

That said, the Quad Cities pizza is actually really good for what it is.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
Think travel to London is coming back soon? Not so fast: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551 - coming 8th June, mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers with random spot checks to assure compliance; policy to be reviewed every three weeks thereafter.

I think this is often known as 'locking the stable door after the horse is gone'.

Online Natsinpwc

Think travel to London is coming back soon? Not so fast: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-how-the-uks-14-day-travel-quarantine-will-work-11992551 - coming 8th June, mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers with random spot checks to assure compliance; policy to be reviewed every three weeks thereafter.

I think this is often known as 'locking the stable door after the horse is gone'.
Sounds like lots of fun. Fly to another country and then stay locked in the hotel room for two weeks or more.

Online HalfSmokes

Sounds like lots of fun. Fly to another country and then stay locked in the hotel room for two weeks or more.

the Hawaii plan- no refunds, we're open- you just have to spend your honeymoon in quarantine

Offline OldChelsea

Hopefully this will be over when I take my annual London three-weeker in November/December - although at least I could salvage one week out of that if the rule is still on (but it would do nothing for two trips to the Continent I have booked for October, both transiting London. The British thus far have not clarified the rights of passengers transiting beyond a UK airport to the Continent or beyond (unlike the Netherlands, who have said it is OK to transit to a point beyond Amsterdam if your ultimate destination isn't laying any restrictions on you).

Reading various London papers though, this move is generating fierce opposition (not surprisingly from the airlines themselves) - stay tuned.

Online Natsinpwc

Hopefully this will be over when I take my annual London three-weeker in November/December - although at least I could salvage one week out of that if the rule is still on (but it would do nothing for two trips to the Continent I have booked for October, both transiting London. The British thus far have not clarified the rights of passengers transiting beyond a UK airport to the Continent or beyond (unlike the Netherlands, who have said it is OK to transit to a point beyond Amsterdam if your ultimate destination isn't laying any restrictions on you).

Reading various London papers though, this move is generating fierce opposition (not surprisingly from the airlines themselves) - stay tuned.
Good luck. Keep an eye on that second wave.

We were very lucky to have our Asian trip last year before this all happened. Missed out on Hong King due to the protests. Had tentatively discussed a trip to Europe in 2021 but not so sure now.

Offline OldChelsea

On the other hand: British health secretary says July foreign holidays for Britons may still be possible - https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/matt-hancock-possible-holidays-abroad-july-a4453136.html