Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148421 times)

Offline HondoKillebrew

Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #2375: September 02, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »
Fredricksburg is worth a couple of days. The Nimitz museum will take most of a day. Lots of German restaurants , wineries, and pubs as well. Also a wonderful park with a fantastic overlook.

The Nimitz Museum, now called the National Museum of the Pacific War, is a large, fantastic, and moving museum.   Extremely high quality exhibits.  Not to be missed. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2376: September 02, 2019, 10:46:49 PM »
The Nimitz Museum, now called the National Museum of the Pacific War, is a large, fantastic, and moving museum.   Extremely high quality exhibits.  Not to be missed. 

yeah, I was on mobile and used shorthand. :)

The overlook I mentioned is called Enchanted Rock.  The LBJ ranch is worth seeing as well.

More here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55863-Activities-Fredericksburg_Texas.html

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2377: September 02, 2019, 10:49:39 PM »
The Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor has been reopened.

Offline imref

« Reply #2378: September 02, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
The Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor has been reopened.

:clap:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2379: September 03, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
I see...

I lack North Dakota, Louisiana, and Alaska...guessing Vancouver this fall may be as close as I ever get to Alaska...

I spent eight weeks in Louisiana.     :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2380: September 03, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
I spent eight weeks in Louisiana.     :)

...and got paid to do it!  :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2381: September 11, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
One highlight of the trip to Tokyo was a Japanese guy on the plane from DFW. He was rocking a Washington Wizards hat. Didn’t get a chance to talk him up. Go Hachimura-San.

On the shuttle bus from Narita to the hotel the American guy across from us kept saying it reminded him of Pittsburgh. LOL. Didn’t ask him why?  Smog?

Despite a lack of sleep yesterday we are up at 3 in the morning with no place to go. Just three hours until the breakfast buffet.

The New Otani is super nice.  We upgraded to a room that includes access to a lounge that has snacks and such all day. And the breakfast buffet. The workers here are so nice. Worth the price if you ever visit.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2382: September 11, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »
Despite a lack of sleep yesterday we are up at 3 in the morning with no place to go. Just three hours until the breakfast buffet.

That's the way I was in Hawaii when we went many years ago. :mg:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2383: September 11, 2019, 03:41:26 PM »
Attention canal heritage lovers: the C&O Canal in Williamsport, MD now has a functional aqueduct that carries the C&O Canal over a river. I have not been there to see it in person but read it in the news.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2384: September 13, 2019, 01:34:30 AM »
Saw some of the Fall Tokyo Sumo Basho yesterday. Interesting and fun. We were too tired to stay for the top flight guys who battle late afternoon. Kokuryu lost his first match in case you are keeping score. Still not time adjusted. While channel surfing caught some of a Yankees Tigers game. With Japanese announcers.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2385: September 13, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »
Saw some of the Fall Tokyo Sumo Basho yesterday. Interesting and fun. We were too tired to stay for the top flight guys who battle late afternoon. Kokuryu lost his first match in case you are keeping score. Still not time adjusted. While channel surfing caught some of a Yankees Tigers game. With Japanese announcers.

I've watched some of the high lights from the Fall matches on NHK Japan here in Seattle.    It's all Japanese all the time.    :shrug:    I saw a Geisha at one of the matches.       I miss Bob and FP.        Wave next time.

Sumo is like being in the Loft pre-game.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2386: September 13, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
The Japan Times has a great baseball section.  And it's in English  :D

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2387: September 13, 2019, 02:04:38 PM »

The worst is the area near one of the famous temples. Where they have foreigners walking around in traditional attire. Really looks dumb.

I saw one European looking guy in one of the matches today. I did wave!  On to Osaka! 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2388: September 13, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
The Japan Times has a great baseball section.  And it's in English  :D
Yes it does. The version at the hotel also has a NY Times version inside it. They must have a partnership.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2389: September 17, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
Thanksgiving is coming soon.    Folks from around the country will be giving thanks for loved ones, friends, health, etc.    I will be thankful that I don't have to deal with the flying public for the foreseeable future.      :)

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2390: September 17, 2019, 10:53:45 AM »
I am flying out of Reagan the day before Thanksgiving, with a toddler no less. I am hopeful that, as they have done in the past on holiday weekends, they will have expedited screening procedures.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2391: September 17, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
I am flying out of Reagan the day before Thanksgiving, with a toddler no less. I am hopeful that, as they have done in the past on holiday weekends, they will have expedited screening procedures.

That would make getting clear worth it

• babble on
« Reply #2392: September 17, 2019, 12:02:01 PM »
I hear that the are rolling this out at some sports venues.  Not sure whether it is just an expedited security line or actual biometric ticketing, which would be pretty cool (except for my privacy geek friends with their Guy Fawkes masks). 

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2393: September 17, 2019, 12:47:19 PM »
Quoted for the level of sublime humor.

Offline imref

« Reply #2394: September 17, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »
Quoted for the level of sublime humor.

Barry Bonds reference in 3....2.....1......

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2395: September 17, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »

Missus is a frequent (few times a year) flyer to Seattle.    I told her  ---  oops I mean suggested  ---  to apply to save the "hassle".

Offline imref

« Reply #2396: September 17, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
Missus is a frequent (few times a year) flyer to Seattle.    I told her  ---  oops I mean suggested  ---  to apply to save the "hassle".

I have a TSA known traveler number, 5 years for $85.  Clear is $179 a year though there are lots of discounts out there through credit cards and frequent flyer programs.  The big advantage to Clear is that you essentially get to cut all the lines, I've never seen any line at a Clear checkpoint.  TSA pre lines usually aren't that bad though, I don't think I've ever waited more than 15 minutes.   I fly 10-15 times a year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2397: September 17, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
I have a TSA known traveler number, 5 years for $85.  Clear is $179 a year though there are lots of discounts out there through credit cards and frequent flyer programs.  The big advantage to Clear is that you essentially get to cut all the lines, I've never seen any line at a Clear checkpoint.  TSA pre lines usually aren't that bad though, I don't think I've ever waited more than 15 minutes.   I fly 10-15 times a year.

TSA pre lines are getting worse. Personally, I think it speaks volumes that you can do the government background pre-check and pay your fee, and still get passed (at government operated checkpoints) by people paying for the private version, but this isn’t uncensored

• babble on
« Reply #2398: September 17, 2019, 03:38:12 PM »
I had a weekday flight from Logan to DCA where the TSA line was longer than the regular line  :lol:

Usually though it makes a huge difference, especially at long-haul hubs like Denver and IAD. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2399: September 17, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
I got into the booth (x-ray) and the agent asked me how old I was.    They put me through the non-invasive scan.    :old: