Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 148737 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread
« Reply #225: February 13, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
Made it up here.  Was a weird flight due to the winds, I think.  Normal route is kind of up  Long Island sound to either New Bedford or Providence then to Logan either from aLynn / Salem / Revere or across Marshfield and over the outer harbor Islands and straight in.  This time, the pilot went North a bit east of New Haven, like around Guilford or Branford, then towards Providence over the reservoir west of the city. He then did a banking turn south towards Newport.  When he said "we are 60 miles from Boston and starting our descent, the bridges at Goat Island were visible off the left wing.  He then did another banking turn, bringing us pretty much astride Kingston and the Providence airport.  We continued north, east of providence, but instead of heading towards Marshfield / Plymouth, we headed direct to Quincy.  He banked at least a couple of more times, then we made a low approach from the east onto one of the less used runways (barely cleared of snow).  There was some bobbing in the wind, but we put down.  T was pretty good, and I was plenty warm enough.

Late this afternoon, I went for a walk to Peets, about a mile, just to see how things looked.  Most snow banks were about shoulder height for me, which is around 5 feet or so.  Nothing too apocalyptic, but there were some very large snow dumps filling traffic circles near the Fens.  Most side streets that are normally 2 lanes are now one.