Author Topic: Stop - New Usher Policy  (Read 6623 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Stop - New Usher Policy
« Reply #25: July 22, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
:shrug: I find it fairly amusing since I always waited anyway. Granted the user in my area has the sense to check the tickets prior to a break in play or I am already walking past the people left digging in their pockets because my ticket is already out.

Our usher was checking tickets of the other patrons but as he checked one group I shot by him with family in tow, I never looked back to see if he even noticed.

I wonder what kind of feedback the team is getting from the ushers, this has to be a miserable policy to enforce, with guys like me raising a fuss.

Offline RL04

« Reply #26: July 22, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
I only leave my seat between innings but I can't say I can plan exactly when to return.

I guess I'm in the minority - I have no problem with people coming back to their seats during an at-bat.   It takes two seconds for a person to walk past.    Not a big deal at all.

The usher today checked our tickets when we first arrived but I noticed - each time back - that if I looked like I knew what I was doing she left me alone.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #27: July 22, 2012, 09:03:29 PM »
Didn't we do that at the Yankees game?   Some assclown tried during the July 4th game and got pissed when I told him to wait.

Maybe because you have no authority over what other people do?

I think I can survive a few precious seconds of being hassled.

Not like someone pissed in my soda or anything. If I got to go to the bathroom I am not waiting for some dickweed who feels the need to comment on getting up during the inning.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #28: July 22, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
Sort of like paying the Mafia for protection

I met an usher who works the lower sections who finds seats for us just before 1st pitch. Pretty good gig....pay for the $15. seats and sit in the $50. seats!
The practice of only letting people down at innings end is a good one though. With all of the good sight lines at Nats Park it's no problem to see all of the action while waiting to head back to your seat.
There are a few ushers I have encountered that have attitudes but most of them are great.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #29: July 22, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
Personally, I don't leave till a half inning is over and I don't return until the current half inning is over.  Just plain respect for those around me.

same here.  I was really pissed when I had an aisle seat behind the Nats dugout and just about every at-bat was interrupted by someone heading up/down the aisle.  I'm absolutely fine with holding people at the top until there's a break in an inning (half-inning, pitching change, etc.).

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #30: July 22, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
The Caps do the same thing.  You cant go to your seat while the puck is in play.  I have no pro lem with this.  As a person who enjoys keeping score, as well as someone who putting pressure on my knee; I appreciate some help so Its not a constant up down up down.

Now Im well aware.  'NATURE CALLS' and cant be helped (or your kid has a nature call).  Coming back, you can wait.

The only time tickets are checked in my section is if 2 or more people claim the same seats!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #31: July 22, 2012, 09:38:57 PM »
same here.  I was really pissed when I had an aisle seat behind the Nats dugout and just about every at-bat was interrupted by someone heading up/down the aisle.  I'm absolutely fine with holding people at the top until there's a break in an inning (half-inning, pitching change, etc.).

They don't wait for the half inning, they wait for an at-bat to end, part of why this is useless.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #32: July 22, 2012, 09:41:38 PM »
The Caps do the same thing.  You cant go to your seat while the puck is in play.  I have no pro lem with this.  As a person who enjoys keeping score, as well as someone who putting pressure on my knee; I appreciate some help so Its not a constant up down up down.

Now Im well aware.  'NATURE CALLS' and cant be helped (or your kid has a nature call).  Coming back, you can wait.

The only time tickets are checked in my section is if 2 or more people claim the same seats!

That's true, but they don't have the same problems with their execution of the policy, any thoughts on why this works better for the Caps?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #33: July 22, 2012, 09:44:43 PM »
Maybe because stoppages in play are more often in Hockey.  MAYBE because its announced at every game and people cooperate and wait against the wall entering the section.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #34: July 22, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »
I wonder what kind of feedback the team is getting from the ushers, this has to be a miserable policy to enforce, with guys like me raising a fuss.

Only self-important jerks have an issue with being asked to wait. Most people are very cool about it. I have yet to see anyone give an usher a hard time about it.

Two things...they should wait between innings or pitching changes, not ABs. Also, this is the beginning of an educational process. People will start to police themselves and maybe even not getting up until a stoppage in play!

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #35: July 22, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
People dont police themselves on Escalators (stand on right, climb on left).  But thats a whole other thread that maybe should be in uncensored because of possible fellow people being upset!

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #36: July 22, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
People dont police themselves on Escalators (stand on right, climb on left).  But thats a whole other thread that maybe should be in uncensored because of possible fellow people being upset!

That's a metro thing...doesn't seem to apply eslewhere!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #37: July 22, 2012, 10:01:26 PM »

Actually most people do police themselves on Metro escalators. Yes, you get the occasional clueless newb or tourist but that whole thing works fairly well.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #38: July 22, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
Living in a hotel district, I run into the standees pretty often.  I usually try not to mind, especially on a short escalator. 

As for getting up from my seat, if you've seen some of the avodart commercials, let's just say I can relate, especially last Tuesday night's game when I've been trying to stay hydrated.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #39: July 22, 2012, 10:51:45 PM »
Just don't give attitude when people don't hop up when you come limbering by to get more canned piss (beer) or more artery clogging garbage.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40: July 22, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »
Just don't give attitude when people don't hop up when you come limbering by to get more canned piss (beer) or more artery clogging garbage.

:rofl:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: July 22, 2012, 11:22:58 PM »
A dude tried that on the fourth and I told him to wait. Dude just stood there pouting until the AB was done.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #42: July 22, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »

I refuse to allow that crap. I push on ahead with an "excuse me" - or if it's aggregious I might yell "stand right, walk left"

Offline MrsMorse

« Reply #43: July 22, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »
A dude tried that on the fourth and I told him to wait. Dude just stood there pouting until the AB was done.

cool story, bro

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: July 22, 2012, 11:27:27 PM »
Actually, my seats are mid-row, so I do wait until mid-inning or a pitching change, and use my long legs to climb over seats to emptier rows rather than make people get up.  But I did get up in before the bottom of the 9th for a quick run.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #46: July 23, 2012, 01:37:47 AM »
That's true, but they don't have the same problems with their execution of the policy, any thoughts on why this works better for the Caps?

They have been doing it longer and a whole section will come down on anyone who blocks the view of the game. At least in the sections I have been sitting. The prices these days might have something to do with it too.

Offline Jski

« Reply #47: July 23, 2012, 02:22:57 AM »
I think the problem is actually worse here than other places.   Not judging by the number of people returning to seats, but the number of idiots who get up in the middle of an at bat or even while the pitcher is in his windup.  I do agree the new usher policy just seems to make it worse.

Another thing that drives me nuts is the number of people who don't show up until the 3rd inning and then come down the aisle in the middle of an at bat...if you don't care about the game enough to show up until it's a third over, why the rush to get to the seat???!!!

But overall, it is great to see attendance up.  We'll eventually build baseball fans here who know how to behave during a game!

Oh yeah, and enough with the wave.

It's the price of success in this area. When the Caps started getting popular you had the same thing happen there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #48: July 23, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
I'd like to see them doing scoreboard videos on etiquette. If everyone gets to see these then no one has to feel like the @sshole that doesn't know baseball etiquette.

Personally, I don't get upset at the well prepared person that wants to rush by between at bats, or when someone visits the mound, or after a fly ball, or whatever. But you get the occasional moron who waits until he's got you standing up, is now standing in front of you and hasn't settled with the wife and kids exactly what he's going to get. The only time during the game he hasn't been texting with someone, he's standing in front of me shouting across five seats to his wife.

It took several years to quash the "O". This will take time, too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #49: July 23, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »
On Friday in the 300's, I noticed the new policy.   I appreciate that they hold folks back during the action.   Unfortunately, there are a lot of new "fans" that don't understand the etiquette of going/coming to your seat.   We'll get it right eventually.    I was in the 125 section on Sunday and it is a CF.    I found myself peaking around fans mulling around in the aisle, business people turned 180 in their seats from the action to BS, the wait staff and any number of folks just plain "lost".