Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141506 times)

Offline Nats113437

Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #150: July 11, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
Talent refers to physical ability, not accomplishments.  I have never seen nor heard of a 17-year old with his physical talent and size.  He is better than both Strasburg and Verlander were at the same age.  Comparing him to other top HS pitchers isn't appropriate.  It's like comparing Bryce Harper to other top players his age from previous drafts.  Giolito is a freak, much like Harper (Not on that level, but close).  Those don't come along very often.

This doesn't mean he will be a star, or even make the majors but anytime you have a chance to draft someone with historic talent (as in no one has ever had his gifts at his age) you do what you can to sign him.  He may be a bust, but he has the gifts from God to be the best ever at his position.  You don't let guys like that get away if you can help it.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #151: July 11, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
...tons of people were better than 18 year old Strasburg.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #152: July 11, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

Yeah. Strasburg at his age was literally in scouts' eyes undraftable.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #153: July 11, 2012, 05:31:10 PM »
Talent refers to physical ability, not accomplishments.  I have never seen nor heard of a 17-year old with his physical talent and size.  He is better than both Strasburg and Verlander were at the same age.  Comparing him to other top HS pitchers isn't appropriate.  It's like comparing Bryce Harper to other top players his age from previous drafts.  Giolito is a freak, much like Harper (Not on that level, but close).  Those don't come along very often.

This doesn't mean he will be a star, or even make the majors but anytime you have a chance to draft someone with historic talent (as in no one has ever had his gifts at his age) you do what you can to sign him.  He may be a bust, but he has the gifts from God to be the best ever at his position.  You don't let guys like that get away if you can help it.

:lmao: best pitching prospect slipped out of the top ten because he may need surge try with a 90% success rate? Tons of pitchers were better than Stras and Verlander when they were Giolato's age- they aren't anymore, that why high school pitchers are such a crap shoot

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #154: July 11, 2012, 05:34:53 PM »

It's true.  Verlander developed later as well. 

My main point is that Giolito has a chance to be the best ever at his position.  Is it likely?  No.  Even the remote chance of it, or anything close to that makes him worth signing to me.

A kid barely 17-years old(last summer) at 6'6" 230 and still growing touching 100 MPH, with a hammer curve, and that body type is special.  He also has other secondary pitches that have flashed well.  His work ethic is supposed to be off the charts.  He does the long toss like Bauer and apparently is even more vigorous with it.

This kid might be the next Daniel Cabrera, but he might be the next generation as well.  I wouldn't let him get away if it were me.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #155: July 11, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
:lmao: best pitching prospect slipped out of the top ten because he may need surge try with a 90% success rate? Tons of pitchers were better than Stras and Verlander when they were Giolato's age- they aren't anymore, that why high school pitchers are such a crap shoot

Name one high school pitcher in the history of the draft with Giolito's talent and body type. 

Offline blue911

« Reply #156: July 11, 2012, 05:43:21 PM »
Name one high school pitcher in the history of the draft with Giolito's talent and body type. 

Roy Halladay the guy they keep using as a comparison.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #157: July 11, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
Roy Halladay the guy they keep using as a comparison.

I've seen that comp, and the body type is almost the same, but he throws way, way harder than Halladay already. He throws a curve where Halladay has that wicked slider.  I would love it if he even turned out to be close to that good.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #158: July 11, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »

Can you point to any scouting report that actually has Giolito as some transcendent prospect rather than just another good highschool arm?

Offline blue911

« Reply #159: July 11, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
I don't think anybody believes he is as good as Bundy

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #160: July 11, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
No.  I'm giving you my scouting report.  Google him and I am sure you will find a lot of reports talking about him as being the first HS right-hander taken #1 in the draft (pre-injury) and about his size and talent. 

Find me another high school pitcher that has shown this kind of physical talent at this age.  I can't remember one.  Bundy was not as good, Strasburg, Gerrit Cole, Porcello, and Verlander were not as good.  Josh Beckett was a beast, but I didn't see him.  He was also 19 his draft year whereas Giolito was 17 at these showcases where hit hit 100. 

If you find any that calls him "just another good high school arm", I'd ignore that. lol.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #161: July 11, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
I don't think anybody believes he is as good as Bundy

He's not yet, but remember he is 2-years younger than Bundy.  He already throws harder and has a much better body type for a pitcher.  I'm not talking about being a better pitcher, I'm talking about his pure talent.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #162: July 11, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
I have seen things saying potential top high school pitcher who fell because of injury- nothing putting him in the category you have him in, maybe your list of not as goods means good pitchers take longer to show themselves and drafting out of college is the better route?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #163: July 11, 2012, 06:01:31 PM »
He's not yet, but remember he is 2-years younger than Bundy.  He already throws harder and has a much better body type for a pitcher.  I'm not talking about being a better pitcher, I'm talking about his pure talent.

Did Bundy get held back a grade?

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #164: July 11, 2012, 06:05:54 PM »
Did Bundy get held back a grade?

Bundy was one of the older players in his draft year, Giolito is one of the youngest in his.  It's actually around 1 year and 8 months difference if memory serves.

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #165: July 11, 2012, 06:09:00 PM »
I have seen things saying potential top high school pitcher who fell because of injury- nothing putting him in the category you have him in, maybe your list of not as goods means good pitchers take longer to show themselves and drafting out of college is the better route?

It certainly could.  I think Rizzo and many others prefer college pitchers. I do too, on the whole.

I'm not saying Giolito will be as good as any of those guys.  All I am saying is he has been given the gifts to be better than any of them.  He has to stay healthy and work hard.  My main point is that when you have a chance to get a guy like this, especially when it looks like you'll be picking at the bottom of the draft for awhile, you have to go for it.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #166: July 11, 2012, 08:21:23 PM »
Wasn't Clayton Kershaw a high school draft pick?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #167: July 11, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »

Brien Taylor

(who??? See http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=taylor002bri)

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #168: July 11, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
Also note that I am in no way shape or form trying to compare Lucas Giolito to Clayton Kershaw (a Cy Young winner).

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #169: July 11, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
Kershaw wasn't and still isn't this purely talented.  He does not throw 100 MPH, he does have an awesome curveball, but was not ever in consideration for #1 overall that I remember. 

Yeah, Giolito would have to work really hard to be as good a pitcher as Kershaw, but he is more gifted than Kershaw.

Taylor was drafted at 19, and I don't think he had this kind of talent.  Giolito is already 3 inches taller at 17 than Taylor was full grown.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #170: July 11, 2012, 10:16:31 PM »
Kershaw wasn't and still isn't this purely talented.  He does not throw 100 MPH, he does have an awesome curveball, but was not ever in consideration for #1 overall that I remember. 

Yeah, Giolito would have to work really hard to be as good a pitcher as Kershaw, but he is more gifted than Kershaw.

Taylor was drafted at 19, and I don't think he had this kind of talent.  Giolito is already 3 inches taller at 17 than Taylor was full grown.

The problem with Taylor was that he got himself hurt. Foolish kid.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #171: July 11, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
High school pitchers are not to be trusted. Go to school kid.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #172: July 12, 2012, 01:04:29 AM »

Well Kershaw is a lefty, so I think it's tough to make that comparison. He's a lefty who throws 95+ which is pretty rare. But I get what you're saying in respect to Kershaw never being in consideration for the number 1 pick.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #173: July 12, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »
 :panic: :panic: :panic:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #174: July 12, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »

A kid barely 17-years old(last summer) at 6'6" 230 and still growing

What if he keeps growing, putting on more weight?  I see this more as a risk than an opportunity.  He's plenty big enough already, not too many 6'9" 275's out there succeeding.