Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141636 times)

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #50: June 05, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
I posted to Brian's blog a comment about the possibility of the Nats being willing to exceed the cap and forfeit a #1 next year.  With EJ likely to qualify as a compensation guy and looking for a multi-year contract, he may be the type of guy you can safely offer qualifying arbitration to, hope will walk, and get a compensation pick or two.  You give up one pick in the 2d half of the first round if you did blow the cap, but with a supplemental and possibly another pick coming back, the damage might not be so great.

That's interesting - I hadn't thought of that.  I kind of doubt that Rizzo would be willing to give up a draft pick, but if push comes to shove, that's an interesting thought.  Though I think there's an argument that they might resign EJ to a longer-term deal too.

But, the other point is even if they don't get one back, you're probably talking about a pick in the 20-25 range.  It's not like giving up a top-10.

But whatevs - get him signed.  I love the pick - "The Nats - We Gotz More Armz than Our Walter Johnson Statue"