Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 141503 times)

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
After the 1-1 pitch, did the batter take a practice swing right handed then step back in and hit left handed? That was weird.

Was going to mention that. He's probably a switch hitter, but not sure why you'd want to take a cut from the oppo side (he did it each time haha)?

Offline aspenbubba

After the 1-1 pitch, did the batter take a practice swing right handed then step back in and hit left handed? That was weird.

I don't think that is legal. Once you step into the box and a pitch is thrown that is where you have to bat for the remainder of the PA.

Offline Mr Clean

I don't think that is legal. Once you step into the box and a pitch is thrown that is where you have to bat for the remainder of the PA.
Wait. Suppose the  team brings in a lefty after one pitch? Does the lefty batter have to stay left? 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

It was a practice swing before stepping into the box. You're allowed to do whatever floats your boat between pitches. It just looked funny.

Wait. Suppose the  team brings in a lefty after one pitch? Does the lefty batter have to stay left? 

I'm pretty sure that if I substitute pitcher comes into the game, you're allowed to declare a different side (or have a pinch hitter). The rule was changed when Venditte, the guy that switch pitches, that you can declare your handness before the AB (with only one switch per AB). I'm guessing this would start over with a new pitcher.

Offline aspenbubba

It was a practice swing before stepping into the box. You're allowed to do whatever floats your boat between pitches. It just looked funny.

The poster said it was a 1-1 count

Offline DPMOmaha

The poster said it was a 1-1 count

What I actually said was:

Offline aspenbubba

Well a lawyer would ask did he step in the box initially as a left handed batter or was he initially batting right handed and took a practice swing right handed out of the box and then switched over to bat lefty?

I stand by my statement that you can't switch handedness during a PA even if the pitcher changes during the AB or a new pitcher comes in. 

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Well a lawyer would ask did he step in the box initially as a left handed batter or was he initially batting right handed and took a practice swing right handed out of the box and then switched over to bat lefty?

I stand by my statement that you can't switch handedness during a PA even if the pitcher changes during the AB or a new pitcher comes in. 

Yes you can. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/3051858/

Offline DPMOmaha

He didn't switch handedness in the box. He was LH the whole time. His practice swings out of the box were RH. Never seen that before. That's all.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Just a crazy thought:  Longoria signed his first long term contract (one of the great team-favorable deals ever) before he played his first game in the majors.  You wonder with Giolito whether the Nats would go up to Boras and offer the same thing?  Giolito is coming off TJ a few years ago, so that 6 -7 year clock is ticking.  If that is right, there's a pretty good chance that Giolito never hits FA with a healthy arm.  I wonder if it would be in Giolito and the team's interest to strike a deal before his call up that cover the 7 years of team control, has some options for another year or two that Giolito could void, maybe with a bonus attached if he does not opt out.   Giolito gets locked in payments regardless of his arm blowing up.  Team gets a bargain because, if he opts out, then he probably did great his time here and would have gotten more in arb, and if he's not worth the option, they don't have to offer to exercise the option.

Offline whytev

That move smacks of desperation by an underachieving overpaid team.

No it doesn't.  Their rotation is their biggest weakness.

Offline whytev

I'm pretty sure that if I substitute pitcher comes into the game, you're allowed to declare a different side (or have a pinch hitter). The rule was changed when Venditte, the guy that switch pitches, that you can declare your handness before the AB (with only one switch per AB). I'm guessing this would start over with a new pitcher.

The rule is that the pitcher has to declare, not the batter.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
6 IP, W, 3H, 4 BB, 6Ks 1ER today

All his walks came in the first two innings.

Offline whytev

Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #1263: June 04, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »
Giolito pitching right now. Puts him on the same rest as Strasburg. Just saying.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #1264: June 04, 2016, 06:44:05 PM »
Giolito pitching right now. Puts him on the same rest as Strasburg. Just saying.

I'd call on Voth instead

Offline whytev

« Reply #1265: June 04, 2016, 06:47:39 PM »
I'd call on Voth instead

Voth is due to go Monday. You'd probably have to start Petit once to shuffle it up.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1266: June 04, 2016, 08:31:06 PM »
Call Giolito now. Only reason he's dowbn in the minors is to work on that change. freak it. bring him up now.

Offline Matugi

« Reply #1267: June 04, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
Voth is due to go Monday. You'd probably have to start Petit once to shuffle it up.

Cool, skip his start.  The Nats are off Monday anyway

EDIT: I guess Giolito is ready anyway: 6 IP 7H 1 ER 1BB 8K guess he solved the change

Offline whytev

« Reply #1268: June 05, 2016, 12:18:47 AM »
Cool, skip his start.  The Nats are off Monday anyway

EDIT: I guess Giolito is ready anyway: 6 IP 7H 1 ER 1BB 8K guess he solved the change

The walk actually loaded the bases.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1269: June 05, 2016, 09:30:16 AM »
Just a crazy thought:  Longoria signed his first long term contract (one of the great team-favorable deals ever) before he played his first game in the majors.  You wonder with Giolito whether the Nats would go up to Boras and offer the same thing?  Giolito is coming off TJ a few years ago, so that 6 -7 year clock is ticking.  If that is right, there's a pretty good chance that Giolito never hits FA with a healthy arm.  I wonder if it would be in Giolito and the team's interest to strike a deal before his call up that cover the 7 years of team control, has some options for another year or two that Giolito could void, maybe with a bonus attached if he does not opt out.   Giolito gets locked in payments regardless of his arm blowing up.  Team gets a bargain because, if he opts out, then he probably did great his time here and would have gotten more in arb, and if he's not worth the option, they don't have to offer to exercise the option.

Seems like a big ask from the team for just one extra year of control

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #1270: June 10, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Dealing like a mug today: 5 IP 2 hits 2 runs 0 ER  1 bb  10 K

Will he go to AAA or directly to the Nats ?

Offline Matugi

« Reply #1271: June 10, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »
Dealing like a mug today: 5 IP 2 hits 2 runs 0 ER  1 bb  10 K

Will he go to AAA or directly to the Nats ?

AAA by the ASB.  There is no need to rush until Ross starts to approach his innings limit.  But I think Voth gets the call first.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1272: June 11, 2016, 07:40:51 AM »
AAA by the ASB.  There is no need to rush until Ross starts to approach his innings limit.  But I think Voth gets the call first.

Ross pitched over 150 innings last year.  Giolito pitched under 120. Giolito will hit an innings limit before Ross does

Offline Matugi

« Reply #1274: June 11, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
Ross pitched over 150 innings last year.  Giolito pitched under 120. Giolito will hit an innings limit before Ross does

Yeah you're probably right.  Giolito probably hits 150 or so by the end of August and is shut down.  Ross is probably sent to the pen at the same time and Voth gets called up to take his starts in September.  Ross probably gets 180 innings this year.