Author Topic: Anyone play OOTP?  (Read 16560 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: Anyone play OOTP?
« Reply #175: April 01, 2017, 06:12:56 PM »

Didn't expect that email.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #176: April 02, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
MLBM 2017 has zimm starting the year in the minors.  Murphy at 1st, Drew at 2nd and Lind in a platoon with Heisey in left.  Difo is on the bench.  Severino is the backup catcher.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #177: April 03, 2017, 11:41:52 AM »
You should join my online league with Houston and GuyfromCO.
It's addicting! Even though my team has never won more than 72 games.

I'm gunning for a playoff spot next season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #178: April 03, 2017, 01:24:20 PM »
I probably will pass on OOTP18 - I loved 17 but with The Show and some other PS4 games I only have so much free time to sink into games. I'm looking at the mobile game because I am on my phone in my apartment a lot and need a game for the toilet/laying in bed. I got it a few years ago. Who else has played the mobile one for this year? The one from a few years ago was really barren and it turned me off to it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #179: April 03, 2017, 01:38:07 PM »
need a game for the toilet
Or as I call it, "checking the waiver wire"

Offline imref

« Reply #180: April 03, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
I probably will pass on OOTP18 - I loved 17 but with The Show and some other PS4 games I only have so much free time to sink into games. I'm looking at the mobile game because I am on my phone in my apartment a lot and need a game for the toilet/laying in bed. I got it a few years ago. Who else has played the mobile one for this year? The one from a few years ago was really barren and it turned me off to it.

they fixed the font issues with the 3/31 iOS release.  No complaints so far.  It doesn't seem to be killing my battery like previous versions.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #181: April 03, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
So I uh gave OOTP a shot today for the first time. Didn't understand how to get bullpen pitchers to warm up. Pinch hit for Max in the bottom of the 6th in a 1 - 0 game vs Miami. Clint Robinson. After the inning, I couldn't replace Robinson with Solis.

That's when I figured out how to get Sammy to warm up, and also how Clint Robinson ended up facing Stanton, Bour, Dietrich and Realmuto.  He got the first two guys, walked Dietrich, Balked, and got a popup to end the inning.

So bizarre.

Offline imref

« Reply #182: April 03, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
So I uh gave OOTP a shot today for the first time. Didn't understand how to get bullpen pitchers to warm up. Pinch hit for Max in the bottom of the 6th in a 1 - 0 game vs Miami. Clint Robinson. After the inning, I couldn't replace Robinson with Solis.

That's when I figured out how to get Sammy to warm up, and also how Clint Robinson ended up facing Stanton, Bour, Dietrich and Realmuto.  He got the first two guys, walked Dietrich, Balked, and got a popup to end the inning.

So bizarre.

so basically what you are saying is that the Nats could have a closer in Robinson?

Offline dracnal

« Reply #183: April 03, 2017, 05:30:51 PM »
so basically what you are saying is that the Nats could have a closer in Robinson?

2nd game just as bizarre. Kelley made it through top of 9th in a 2-2 game on 7 pitches. Had 0 outs, men on 1st and 2nd when he came up. Decided to let him bat so I could pitch the 10th if needed.  He singled, Murphy scored, Kelley gets the win and the walk off RBI.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #184: April 03, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »
The league where whytev, GuyfromCO, and I play is in the year 2070. To relate to your issue having Clint Robinson pitch, here's the worst pitching performance of 2070.

Colorado catcher Alberto Ortiz pitched in a 33-5 wipeout loss. His game log: single to load the bases, walk, walk, walk, K, walk with TWO run-scoring wild pitches, walk, walk. The poor bastard. Then another position player came in and gave up a grand salami

Offline dracnal

« Reply #185: April 03, 2017, 06:07:53 PM »
The league where whytev, GuyfromCO, and I play is in the year 2070. To relate to your issue having Clint Robinson pitch, here's the worst pitching performance of 2070.

Colorado catcher Alberto Ortiz pitched in a 33-5 wipeout loss. His game log: single to load the bases, walk, walk, walk, K, walk with TWO run-scoring wild pitches, walk, walk. The poor bastard. Then another position player came in and gave up a grand salami

33-5?!

Ouch!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #186: April 03, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
they fixed the font issues with the 3/31 iOS release.  No complaints so far.  It doesn't seem to be killing my battery like previous versions.

what was the font issue? I'm on android. im more interested in what features there are and stuff.

Offline imref

« Reply #187: April 03, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
what was the font issue? I'm on android. im more interested in what features there are and stuff.

The first release for iOS was unreadable. Gray on black.  I assume the iOS and android versions are the same.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #188: April 03, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »

Online leagues really are great for this. If I've got a min while dropping a #2, I can pop up the draft/rosters/standings/stats/etc..., and only have to sit down for about 10 mins at the computer to export. I'm loving it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #189: April 04, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »
Online leagues really are great for this. If I've got a min while dropping a #2, I can pop up the draft/rosters/standings/stats/etc..., and only have to sit down for about 10 mins at the computer to export. I'm loving it.
Downloading the new file takes the longest time. You click "Download," go do something, come back later, and then set your roster and poke around for a few minutes. Until you become addicted and then you spend 30 minutes sketching down potential rosters on a postit note.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #190: April 04, 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
You should join my online league with Houston and GuyfromCO.
whytev and GuyfromCO are the World Series matchup.

Offline whytev

« Reply #191: April 04, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
It's addicting! Even though my team has never won more than 72 games.

I'm gunning for a playoff spot next season.

Addictive!

Offline whytev

« Reply #192: April 04, 2017, 07:49:29 PM »
33-5?!

Ouch!

Coors though. Gotta park adjust. 

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #193: April 05, 2017, 12:33:47 AM »

WOO!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #194: April 05, 2017, 01:36:47 PM »
GuyfromCO 4, whytev 2

Offline dracnal

« Reply #195: April 05, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
So I decided to dip my toe in the OOTP pool before jumping in. Put it in Manage Only mode and let the PC handle all GM duties.
Strasburg went day to day for 12 days straight. On April 17th. Rizzo didn't bring anyone up and the schedule called for 13 straight games. It was not a good time to be a starter if you liked rest.

On the plus side, we continued a 16 game win streak through that period. The lowest regular on the club is batting .307 (Lind). Apparently OOTP -really- likes the Nats this year or I'm just having the best luck ever.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #196: April 05, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »

Offline whytev

« Reply #197: April 05, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
So I decided to dip my toe in the OOTP pool before jumping in. Put it in Manage Only mode and let the PC handle all GM duties.
Strasburg went day to day for 12 days straight. On April 17th. Rizzo didn't bring anyone up and the schedule called for 13 straight games. It was not a good time to be a starter if you liked rest.

On the plus side, we continued a 16 game win streak through that period. The lowest regular on the club is batting .307 (Lind). Apparently OOTP -really- likes the Nats this year or I'm just having the best luck ever.

It's a better game to GM and not manage than the other way around.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #198: April 06, 2017, 12:12:38 PM »
It's a better game to GM and not manage than the other way around.

The GM end of things looks complex as hell. Any pointers on where to get started/tips/guides on how to be effective and not just rely on auto-pilot?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #199: April 06, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
The GM end of things looks complex as hell. Any pointers on where to get started/tips/guides on how to be effective and not just rely on auto-pilot?
Basically, imagine WNFF sitting on your shoulder criticizing your every decision.

I had a steep learning curve since I jumped into the game after a 3 year hiatus, right into the multiplayer league vs. whytev and GuyfromCO. And my team's roster was total garbage. The first thing probably is to just go through as many screens as you can and learn as much as you can. Spend an hour or two if you're serious, just looking around at stuff and seeing what you can do. Check out the transaction/waiver page, the minor league page. Find how to set all your minor league lineups and rotations - I had a prospect almost derail because the game was automatically playing him at CF instead of 3B, and I didn't notice for a whole season. Learn how to sign minor league free agents and stuff like that.

The reports screen is your friend. There are lots of great reports - development showing you how your prospects are improving (or not), minor league system report showing you if AI thinks a guy is ready to move up, your financials & salaries in upcoming years, all sorts of stuff.

In my first week, I had two AAA OFs with the same last name (Paul & Tom Lund), one a top prospect and one a scrub. I accidentally waived the wrong one.

You can use shortlist features to designate, for instance, other teams' prospects you are interested in, if you are selling, or upcoming free agents you want to make offers on.

With leagues of fictional players, it will take some time to see how the game ratings translate into game stats, and what the league environment is. Pay more attention to stats than ratings, I would say, probably. Don't forget to look at players' intelligence and work ethic, and if they are a free agent, how greedy they are. My team sucks but we have a bona fide ace because he has "very low desire for winning".

In multiplayer, it also takes some time to figure out what trading prices & frequencies are, and what the going rate for FAs is, etc.