Author Topic: Anyone play OOTP?  (Read 16399 times)

Offline whytev

Re: Anyone play OOTP?
« Reply #25: April 11, 2015, 01:00:06 AM »
Great improvement for the new version is the relief pitcher warmup. Used to be you could just get them hot and the leave them throwing. Now they get tired. I pinch hit for my pitcher and warmed up two guys, but ended up having a rally. By the time I went to get one they were both exhausted. Oops.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #26: April 21, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »
Wow I was just looking for this thread...I forgot I started it.

OOTP 16 is absolutely awesome.

1st year I went 108-54 with dominant pitching. Stras won the Cy Young but we got killed in the NLCS by the Cardinals (go figure). Max was on his way to having an MVP season but got injured in August and was done for the year. It killed us in the playoffs.

During the off-season, I thought I resigned Fister to a reasonable 14 mil a year contract but he never signed it and then got 20 mil on the open market...I couldn't pay him or Jordan so I lost 2 of my aces for nothing. Coincidentally...they are 30-36 so far this season.

Offline whytev

« Reply #27: April 21, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
Wow I was just looking for this thread...I forgot I started it.

OOTP 16 is absolutely awesome.

1st year I went 108-54 with dominant pitching. Stras won the Cy Young but we got killed in the NLCS by the Cardinals (go figure). Max was on his way to having an MVP season but got injured in August and was done for the year. It killed us in the playoffs.

During the off-season, I thought I resigned Fister to a reasonable 14 mil a year contract but he never signed it and then got 20 mil on the open market...I couldn't pay him or Jordan so I lost 2 of my aces for nothing. Coincidentally...they are 30-36 so far this season.

Have they introduced qualifying offer draft picks yet?  That was missing last year.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #28: April 21, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
a great new feature in the mobile app is the ability to shop players around and get trade offers.

Offline whytev

« Reply #29: April 21, 2015, 09:42:18 PM »
a great new feature in the mobile app is the ability to shop players around and get trade offers.

The desktop version has had that for a while.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #30: April 21, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
All fictional leagues all the time.

Offline whytev

« Reply #31: April 21, 2015, 09:56:26 PM »

Fictional leagues, real players?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #32: April 21, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
Fictional leagues, fictional players.

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #33: April 21, 2015, 11:17:18 PM »

I like historical league with players from all eras.

My playthrough with the Nats I was so close to drafting Babe Ruth. Was taken 1 player ahead of me. Freaking Dodgers.

I ended up with Ty Cobb tho...

Offline imref

« Reply #34: April 30, 2015, 11:31:02 PM »
i just downloaded the latest MLB Manager (the mobile OOTP) update for iPhone.  According to the update, it provides updated opening day rosters.  It has Mark Minicozzi, Derrick Robinson, and Dan Butler making the squad.  Reed Johnson, Dan Uggla, and Jose Lobaton are all in the minors.

the computer generated lineup has Desmond leading off, and den Decker starting over Taylor in CF, with Clinton Robinson starting in left (Werth is injured).  Yunel is at 3rd and batting 2nd, so that's good.   But it has Strasburg as the #1 starter

Offline whytev

« Reply #35: May 01, 2015, 12:11:46 AM »
i just downloaded the latest MLB Manager (the mobile OOTP) update for iPhone.  According to the update, it provides updated opening day rosters.  It has Mark Minicozzi, Derrick Robinson, and Dan Butler making the squad.  Reed Johnson, Dan Uggla, and Jose Lobaton are all in the minors.

the computer generated lineup has Desmond leading off, and den Decker starting over Taylor in CF, with Clinton Robinson starting in left (Werth is injured).  Yunel is at 3rd and batting 2nd, so that's good.   But it has Strasburg as the #1 starter

Okay, my computer version has den Dekker and Blevins not traded yet. I haven't started that season; I just went in and looked. Maybe I should load it again?

Offline whytev

« Reply #36: May 01, 2015, 12:12:18 AM »
I did notice Turner was in our system...

Offline whytev

« Reply #37: May 01, 2015, 12:26:01 AM »
That worked.  The only thing weird is Mark Minicozzi is on the opening day roster rather than Robinson.

Offline imref

« Reply #38: May 01, 2015, 12:39:57 AM »
I had to lookup minicozzi. Never heard of him.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #39: May 01, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
Anyone have any online league strategies they feel like sharing?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #40: June 22, 2015, 11:06:07 PM »
Or draft strategies?

Currently trying high risk / high reward with a nod towards high school players. Historically I've had a bias toward college guys but that isn't working with the draft system overhaul a couple years ago.

Offline whytev

« Reply #41: June 23, 2015, 12:25:21 AM »
Or draft strategies?

Currently trying high risk / high reward with a nod towards high school players. Historically I've had a bias toward college guys but that isn't working with the draft system overhaul a couple years ago.

Most of the HS players are next to impossible to sign.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #42: June 23, 2015, 12:34:14 AM »
Umm... there aren't many "Impossible" in the draft pool in any of my games.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #43: June 23, 2015, 09:43:37 AM »
I've been playing in an OOTP league since 2006. We have our own board, website, we have multiple drafts. Fake teams, real players. Its awesome.

Ryan Zimmerman is my 3B and he is a top 20 player in the game in terms of WAR. Storen's the best closer in the league. Espinosa is a top 5 player overall for me until I traded him. I had J-Zimm but traded him. Stras/Harper are the best two players in our league.

Offline imref

« Reply #44: November 03, 2015, 05:16:47 PM »
i replayed the 2015 season as the Nats, and blew up the team in July after being about 12 games out of first (behind Atlanta of all teams).  One frustration is that the iOOTP roster doesn't include Turner, he's still on San Diego and they want Harper for him.

I traded away Scherzer, Gio, Werth, Escobar, and Span.  At the end of the season I let Desmond and Fister walk but extended JZ on a 4/$80 million deal.  I signed Cueto, and O'Day in the 2015-16 off-season.  Payroll is about $132 million of a $200 million budget.

I'm going into 2016 with a rotation of Strasburg, JZ, Cueto, Trienan, and Cole.  Bullpen is largely unchanged, with Storen, Stammen, Roark, Janssen, Thornton, Jordan, and O'Day.

My starting lineup:
Manuel Margot - a 21 year old CF acquired from Boston for Span, Barrett and Drew Ward
Juan Segura - SS - acquired from Milwaukee for Scherzer - basically a salary dump
Harper - RF
Rendon - 3B
Zimmerman - 1B
Taylor - LF
Ramos - C
DJ LeMahieu - 2B (acquired from CO for Gio)

So far 2-1 in the 2016 season.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #45: November 03, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
Obsessed with OOTP. Draft pick trading in online leagues is the most fun.

Offline whytev

« Reply #46: November 03, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Obsessed with OOTP. Draft pick trading in online leagues is the most fun.

Whoa I wanna do an online league. How do they work?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #47: November 03, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »
Whoa I wanna do an online league. How do they work?

Well, a league establishes rules and a sim schedule. So say they sim one week at a time, and sim M-T-W-TH-F. Basically you log in every weekday, download your new file, make your changes, and hit export.

Drafts are done using a web portal generally. Trading is hard, compared to offline OOTP.

I prefer the fastest sim schedules I can get. So I'm in a fast sim league and another league that sims 7 days a week.

I cannot get back into offline games. Online OOTP is the best game I've maybe ever played. It's hyper competitive if you are in an active league. Plus, legit moneyball strategies can be done. You can get groupthink in an online league, and then try to take advantage of it. One owner in our league tried the Royals strategy (high contact, avoid Ks) and made the championship this year. He assembled this roster a little before the Royals strategy was widely known. Another guy won it seasons ago with high movement pitchers and stellar defense, while the league was obsessed with strikeout arms.

There's a signup forum on the OOTP forums in the Online section. I recommend established leagues, of course. My personal preference is fast moving leagues.

Online leagues don't get amazing support from the Devs but it's surprisingly smooth for the most part -- the game translates incredibly to online. 

If you have any questions, holler.

Offline whytev

« Reply #48: November 04, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »
Well, a league establishes rules and a sim schedule. So say they sim one week at a time, and sim M-T-W-TH-F. Basically you log in every weekday, download your new file, make your changes, and hit export.

Drafts are done using a web portal generally. Trading is hard, compared to offline OOTP.

I prefer the fastest sim schedules I can get. So I'm in a fast sim league and another league that sims 7 days a week.

I cannot get back into offline games. Online OOTP is the best game I've maybe ever played. It's hyper competitive if you are in an active league. Plus, legit moneyball strategies can be done. You can get groupthink in an online league, and then try to take advantage of it. One owner in our league tried the Royals strategy (high contact, avoid Ks) and made the championship this year. He assembled this roster a little before the Royals strategy was widely known. Another guy won it seasons ago with high movement pitchers and stellar defense, while the league was obsessed with strikeout arms.

There's a signup forum on the OOTP forums in the Online section. I recommend established leagues, of course. My personal preference is fast moving leagues.

Online leagues don't get amazing support from the Devs but it's surprisingly smooth for the most part -- the game translates incredibly to online. 

If you have any questions, holler.

Just one question:

Does anyone want to start a WNFF OOTP online league?  I figure if we can get like 16 people it could be really fun.  If people are interested, I will start a new thread.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #49: November 04, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
Just one question:

Does anyone want to start a WNFF OOTP online league?  I figure if we can get like 16 people it could be really fun.  If people are interested, I will start a new thread.

Is there a sale on OOTP soon?