Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 16132 times)

Offline aspenbubba

Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #350: June 15, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
This is the most gratiating thread on this forum ever. I am surprised that some of our most thoughtful , balanced and reasonable , knowledgable and  erudite posters not only read portions of this thread but even bothered to reply. I , of course , do not include myself  as one of those  posters.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #351: June 15, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
It's the only trait people assign to Rizzo that bothers me, out field defense is nothing special, in field is, but Zimmermann predates Rizzo and, if you believe rumors, they tried pretty hard to replace LaRoche this offseason with a defensive down grade. Desmond is good but nothing special, Espinosa is great, but the imply a GM's philosophy based on Espi seems like a stretch

It's a process.  Look at what they were a few years ago.  It definitely looks to me like the defense has improved.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #352: June 15, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
I thought we established that Rizzo cared more about beefcake than defense.

Offline PC

« Reply #353: June 15, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
First Pitch: Bryce Harper, future Yankee?

By November, 2018, The Decision could be in the hands of Bryce Aron Max Harper. At that time, Harper will just have turned 26 ... and he may be the undisputed king of baseball.

The Yankees will no longer have the contracts of Alex Rodriguez or Derek Jeter or Mark Teixeira. There will likely be new big names with big deals that take their place, but surely they will find enough money to pay Harper, if he wants to come.

And he might want to come. Just the other day, the 19-year-old got caught on Twitter rooting for the Yankees. Still rooting for the Yankees, that is.

He grew up -- is growing up? -- a Yankees fan and still considers them his second favorite team. At least, publicly, he has them behind the Nationals.

Recently on Twitter, Harper caused a little ruckus by saying, "Really CC getting in this game right now!? Yankees (let's) go, get some runs for ya boy CC!"

After getting flack from some of his followers, he deleted the tweet before clarifying, “I love my Nationals, but if I’m going to root for a team in the postseason it's going to be the Yanks!”

So if Harper is the LeBron James of baseball, the drumbeat is just going to grow. After all, he wears 34 because it adds up to Mickey Mantle's 7. Eventually, Harper may just take his talents to the Bronx.

It might even be inevitable.

UP NOW: My column on the Yankees and the Nats and how Harper and Stephen Strasburg are like Darryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden in 1984. Oh, and this weekend might be a late October preview. Plus, my other column that asks the question if A-Rod is a table-setter and if Derek Jeter will hit .300? Plus, reasons why the Yankees may get better.

ON DECK: I have a Bombers Beat coming up. Plus, the must-read What2Watch4 from Mark Simon.

IN THE HOLE: Live from D.C., it's Wallace Matthews. Wally will guide you through the weekend. The pitching matchups: Tonight, Phil Hughes (6-5, 4.76) vs. Gio Gonzalez (8-2, 2.35); Saturday, Andy Pettitte (3-2, 2.81) vs. Jordan Zimmerman (3-5, 2.91); Sunday, Ivan Nova (8-2, 4.64) vs. Edwin Jackson (3-3, 3.02).

QUESTION OF THE DAY: Will Bryce Harper one day be a Yankee?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/37375/first-pitch-bryce-harper-future-yankee

Harper's future has already been decided, apparently.  :roll:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #354: June 15, 2012, 09:33:15 AM »
I got the feeling Harper values winning more than pinstripes and I am not so convinced the Yankees will be able to keep up business as usual.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #355: June 15, 2012, 09:40:40 AM »
freak!  For good?

No idea. MDS said he was taking a break.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #356: June 15, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
I got the feeling Harper values winning more than pinstripes and I am not so convinced the Yankees will be able to keep up business as usual.

I get the feeling he values money too and will go to the team with the best combo of cash and a shot to win

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #357: June 15, 2012, 09:49:48 AM »

One reason for the Yankees success is their core of players that were homegrown. I've been wondering how they'll reload once all those players retire.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #358: June 15, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
I'm surprised it wasn't locked a long time ago.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #359: June 15, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »
Harper's future has already been decided, apparently.  :roll:

...according to a NYC-based writer...this one is right up there with those idiots who wear Strasburg T-shirts in Red Sox-font lettering.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #360: June 15, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »
I'm surprised it wasn't locked a long time ago.

I'm convinced Chief and Nathan are letting it continue on to torture me.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #361: June 15, 2012, 10:12:53 AM »
If Harper keeps playing and progressing the way we hope he does, his first free agent contract will be the richest in baseball history.  Boras and several of his assistants will be able to retire and send their kids and grandkids to college with the commission (if they can't already!).

I don't see a scenario where Harper signs an extension before then, but I could be wrong. Who knows what the economics of baseball will look like in 6 years. Or the national economy. Or the Yankees willingness/ability to price everyone else out of the market. I've read rumors that the Steinbrenners are considering selling the team. That could be the biggest wildcard of all.  Or another rich team wanting to make a big splash - like the Angels with Pujols.

Best case scenario is the Nats keep winning, selling tickets, selling gear, getting better MASN rights, and building the value of the franchise. So when Stras and Harper hit the market they can compete financially with the big boys.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #362: June 15, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
I don't like giving big, long contracts to pitchers. They are much more fragile and their success is much more variable.

Harper vs. Strasburg, I give the big contract to Harper every time.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #363: June 15, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
One reason for the Yankees success is their core of players that were homegrown. I've been wondering how they'll reload once all those players retire.

they have a history of big splashes doing well too starting with babe ruth, through reggie jackson into their currect mercenary crop

Offline Wheat

« Reply #364: June 15, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
Hopefully with different leadership in NY, by the time Harper is up for a payday, that team has faded away. The Lerners can afford to pay him if they want. Question is....will they? We'll see what kind of player and person he is then.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #365: June 15, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
Hopefully with different leadership in NY, by the time Harper is up for a payday, that team has faded away. The Lerners can afford to pay him if they want. Question is....will they? We'll see what kind of player and person he is then.

Sure, and let's try not to start or bump multiple threads postulating that until then.   That isn't directed at you, per se, just in general.  People should spend less time worrying about the future and more time enjoying the present.  Maybe Blue had the right idea after all.

Offline 24 Nats

« Reply #366: June 15, 2012, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline Strasburger

« Reply #367: June 15, 2012, 10:56:12 AM »

Offline Kevrock

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #369: June 15, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #370: June 15, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
Harper, Trout, and Strasburg. freak yeah. :mg:

AMERICA!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #371: June 15, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
Is it too soon to start a thread about a second extension to the first extension circa 2028? Or maybe a thread about drafting his son?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #372: June 15, 2012, 11:59:47 AM »
Is it too soon to start a thread about a second extension to the first extension circa 2028? Or maybe a thread about drafting his son?

I saw we sign him to a generational contract TODAY!  Somebody call the Cochrane Law Firm™ and make this happen.  1-800-UHAVEALAWYER.

Offline BH34Natural

Re: Future of big name Nats (merged)
« Reply #373: June 15, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
This is such a dumb topic that...... ESPN ran a lead story about it

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/37375/first-pitch-bryce-harper-future-yankee#comments

MarquisDeShade looking like a fool ftw.

Offline Kevrock

Re: Future of big name Nats (merged)
« Reply #374: June 15, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
That's the ESPN Yankees blog.