Poll

Should Detwiler (1.59 era) keep his rotation spot when Wang returns

Yes, he earned it
59 (93.7%)
No, Wang was really good in 2007
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Should Detwiler (1.59 era) keep his rotation spot when Wang returns  (Read 3265 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

So you have someone to pitch Strasburg's innings when he gets shut down.

Lannan, Rosenbaum, Wang - there are other options

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
You think Rizzo is going to send Jackson down or put him in the pen?

no i think wang should go to the pen.  det has been too good to move him there.

Offline GOON

Detwiler has been great this year.  If you take anyone out of the rotation, it has to be Edwin Jackson, who has been the closest thing to a weak link in the rotation. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
- Strassburg will sit by the beginning of September.

- Go with a six-man rotation.

- Keep Detwiler, no matter what. He's better than Jackson.

- Why am I thinking about this?? The Nats need a hitter!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
no i think wang should go to the pen.  det has been too good to move him there.

Wang can't work out of the pen.  He can't warm up fast enough, apparently.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

what a baby

Offline Bloo

He should just rub his hands together first then. Then he'll slowly get faster.

Offline DPMOmaha

Detwiler has been great this year.  If you take anyone out of the rotation, it has to be Edwin Jackson, who has been the closest thing to a weak link in the rotation. 

This would be my preference.  Won't happen though, plus, I'm not convinced Wang will be better than EJ. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Hello, Brian?  This is Mike.  Really sorry about Pineda.  At least you have Garcia.

What's that about Garcia? 

sorry to hear that.  we used to have beers together.

So, who are you using now,  Betances? 

Phelps?  I have not read much about Phelps.  how many no hitters has he thrown in the majors?   

Believe it or not, we a spare part that has thrown one.  He's improved since then, too.  And, he's not tied to a long term contract.

Yes, he costs more than Phelps, but since when has that made a difference to you?  You could even offer him arb and he'll turn it down, so you net draft picks out of it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
"Oh, and Bri, we'll do this on 18 June, kthxbye"
Hello, Brian?  This is Mike.  Really sorry about Pineda.  At least you have Garcia.

Phelps?  I have not read much about Phelps.  how many no hitters has he thrown in the majors?   

Believe it or not, we a spare part that has thrown one.  He's improved since then, too.  And, he's not tied to a long term contract.

Yes, he costs more than Phelps, but since when has that made a difference to you?  You could even offer him arb and he'll turn it down, so you net draft picks out of it.

Offline nobleisthyname

Make it happen Rizzo!

Offline NatsDad14

what a baby

Yep. Baby Wang couldn't extend himself enough to go deep in the game.

Offline PC

I read this week that it is unknown whether he will start or relieve.  I don't know if that's true.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
How many of you guys are happy Rizzo didn't trade Detwiler last year.
 :couch:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
How many of you guys are happy Rizzo didn't trade Detwiler last year.
 :couch:

I like the guy but I would've given him up asap if it meant us getting Bourn in return.

Offline PC

I like the guy but I would've given him up asap if it meant us getting Bourn in return.

Are you kidding?  Would you do it now?

Offline DPMOmaha

I would.

Offline aussienatsfan

Let's be honest, set should instantly request a trade if he's sent to the pen, it would be a joke

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline PC

For Michael Bourn?  Are you kidding?

Not only would I not do it now, I wouldn't have done it last year.  I don't give up a quality, young, controllable left handed pitcher for a 29 year old center fielder who's about to become a free agent.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Not only would I not do it now, I wouldn't have done it last year.  I don't give up a quality, young, controllable left handed pitcher for a 29 year old center fielder who's about to become a free agent.

If it meant signing him long term, yes.

The guy is the white whale lead off hitter we need. I'd give Detwiler up instantly for a player who can actually get on base, steal, AND hit. We haven't had a successful leadoff hitter in any of the years here.

Offline DPMOmaha

I would.

I should say, if he were still in Houston or somewhere outside of the division, I'd still do it now.  I wouldn't make a trade like that with Atlanta with how things are shaping up so far this year.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

And like DPM said, I'm basing this off of last year's deadline. I'd think about it now (probably consider doing it).

Offline Sharp

Less because I think Detwiler is good than because I expect nothing at all from Wang.