Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 199076 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #1025: July 02, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
They should just legalize steroids and get it over with.

I see you've recently read "Juiced".

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1026: July 02, 2012, 10:10:41 PM »
It could also be argued that despite the fact that Trout has an incredibly high BABIP, he still has trouble putting balls in play that are pitched in the strike zone because he gets a lot more of them than Bryce yet he strikes out more...which adds to the evidence of his eye being inferior to Bryce's.
Or maybe he strikes out looking at more borderline pitches but selectively attacks the ones in his happy zone and that's why he has such a high line drive rate, while Bryce just swings at anything close.  We can do this all day... :stir:

Offline DPMOmaha

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1028: July 02, 2012, 11:06:10 PM »
Pettite used it to heal, ARod used it to heal, and they were one time events

I don't think A-Rod said it was to heal.  Boli from his cousin.  A supplement.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1029: July 03, 2012, 07:33:53 AM »
I see you've recently read "Juiced".

No.  It just seems retarded to have this proven method of injury recovery shelved because Barry Bonds* broke Hank Aaron's record.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1030: July 03, 2012, 08:02:18 AM »
No.  It just seems retarded to have this proven method of injury recovery shelved because Barry Bonds* broke Hank Aaron's record.

You realize HGH increases growth in bad cells (ie cancer cells)  too, right?  When I had to take them they made it very clear to me that HGH, while great at helping recover from injury, was still opening Pandora's Box.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1031: July 03, 2012, 08:15:31 AM »
You realize HGH increases growth in bad cells (ie cancer cells)  too, right?  When I had to take them they made it very clear to me that HGH, while great at helping recover from injury, was still opening Pandora's Box.

As long as the players understand that, it's a personal choice.  What's wrong with an informed choice?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1032: July 03, 2012, 08:19:22 AM »
As long as the players understand that, it's a personal choice.  What's wrong with an informed choice?

It's not a particularly good choice, though.  "Either you put your body at risk for cancer or you have a disadvantage in your career."  I understand MLB not wanting players to have to make that choice.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1033: July 03, 2012, 08:22:15 AM »

It sets a really bad example and could be consider malpractice for the prescribing physician.  HGH isn't a performance enhancer.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1034: July 03, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
It's my understanding that limited usage of anabolic steroids and/or HGH puts you at no greater risk of cancer than smoking cigarettes which are perfectly legal and have no health benefits attached to them.  Under a doctor's care, how is that bad for a professional athlete?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1035: July 03, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
Do No Harm tends to be a fundamental tenant of medicine, proscribing something with side effects when there is no underlying condition seems to violate this- then again so do Botox weilding plastic surgeons

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1036: July 03, 2012, 08:33:29 AM »
Any prescription you can possibly take comes with side effects - yet medical doctors hand them out lollipops at a bank drive-thru window.

Offline Sharp

« Reply #1037: July 03, 2012, 08:36:37 AM »
Yeah, to treat actual medical ailments.  HGH for healthy baseball players isn't really an example of that.  A doctor isn't going to prescribe you a cigarette either, even if it could help you lose weight.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1038: July 03, 2012, 08:42:12 AM »
Anyway, back to Harper.  I was talking with my teammates about the Nats and I was surprised at all of the hate for Harper.  With the exception of my manager (A Yankee fan who has adopted the Nats as his NL team since he goes down to Ocean City to visit family and takes in a few games every year since 2007), everyone on my team thought he was a "punk kid" and doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star discussion.  Some even went so far as to say that he's a douche that disrespects the game.

I thought it was an interesting conversation since most everyone up here is a Yankee fan and it's assumed that he'll be at least courted by the Yankees after his contract in DC is up. 

It seems odd how many people have a negative opinion of Harper.  Doesn't seem there's any factual basis for the negativity.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1039: July 03, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
He made the cover of SI as a high-schooler. his first big exposure was holding out until the last minute for an enormous bonus (I know it's standard- but non-causal fans don't), he has the faux-hawk- I can understand the hate if you don't actually follow the team, but it will fade with time

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1040: July 03, 2012, 09:08:08 AM »
I thought it interesting that, this weekend, when he was running full tilt trying to score, his helmet bobbled loosely on his head but he did not flip it off.  If the kid has a fault, it is that he wants to be the best and maybe takes the image critcism too seriously.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #1041: July 03, 2012, 09:12:12 AM »
One guy actually said that stretching the single to right in the Atlanta game where Heyward was napping was actually showing up Heyward and not hustle.

I was at a loss for words...

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1042: July 03, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
I thought it interesting that, this weekend, when he was running full tilt trying to score, his helmet bobbled loosely on his head but he did not flip it off.  If the kid has a fault, it is that he wants to be the best and maybe takes the image critcism too seriously.

I was calling for him to flip that thang.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1043: July 03, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
One guy actually said that stretching the single to right in the Atlanta game where Heyward was napping was actually showing up Heyward and not hustle.

Well they are union employees...

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #1044: July 03, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »

People remember the history and it taints their veiw of who he has actually become.
WaPo had a link to this article yesterday....maybe folks will start coming around.

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/6/29/3124652/bryce-harper-stats-washington-nationals

Offline madj55

« Reply #1045: July 03, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
Anyway, back to Harper.  I was talking with my teammates about the Nats and I was surprised at all of the hate for Harper.  With the exception of my manager (A Yankee fan who has adopted the Nats as his NL team since he goes down to Ocean City to visit family and takes in a few games every year since 2007), everyone on my team thought he was a "punk kid" and doesn't deserve to be in the All-Star discussion.  Some even went so far as to say that he's a douche that disrespects the game.

I thought it was an interesting conversation since most everyone up here is a Yankee fan and it's assumed that he'll be at least courted by the Yankees after his contract in DC is up. 

It seems odd how many people have a negative opinion of Harper.  Doesn't seem there's any factual basis for the negativity.

Clearly your teammates haven't watched him play since he was in the minors if they think he disrespects the game.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1046: July 03, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
Gregg Doyle (who I really like) makes a strong case for Harper.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/19463520/all-star-game-is-for-the-fans-not-players-which-is-why-harper-should-be-in-it

Liked the article especially this part - "Harper has a sixth tool - a motor that never stops running."

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1047: July 03, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »

People are funny that way. When it comes down to it very little is known about Harper's character but people will read the tea leaves and proclaim him a hero or a villain anyway. The most you can really say is he plays the game hard and with hustle. For me, that is enough.

I am hoping they can make D.C. a home for Harper so he wants to stay here.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #1048: July 03, 2012, 10:30:32 AM »
Yeah, Harp doesn't have a chance.

Steve Repsher ‏@SteveRep44
First #FinalVote results are out. Bryce is third behind Chipper and David Freese. #nats

MLB ‏@MLB
#FinalVote 1st round standings - AL: 1. Darvish 2. Peavy 3. Hammel 4. Frieri 5. Broxton. NL: 1. Chipper 2. Freese 3. Bryce 4. Hill 5. Bourn

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #1049: July 03, 2012, 10:35:17 AM »

Welcome to the era of insta-analysis and interwebz-fueled snap judgments.  It's not enough to not have an opinion on someone immediately or give them a chance to see what they're like - you're either Team Coco or you're not.  Every opinion you take immediately becomes a key part of your identity and so must be defended in the face of countervailing facts because otherwise you are being invalidated as a human being.  It's awesome!  It sucks!

Harper wears lots of eyeblack, flips his helmet and blows kisses at minor league pitchers = coddled pampered d-bag who doesn't respect the game.  Never mind the fact that he's been pitch-perfect in every interview he's done, including especially the "I'm for Chipper," quote and that he's been the sparkplug that's kept the Nats in first through slumps and injuries.  He's a 19-year-old kid who sometimes lets his enthusiasm get the best of him but in the main is an incredibly humble (given his talent), respectful, immensely talented kid.  A throwback with a Twitter account.  In three years, when he's in the running for MVP, people will love him - this is just part of the dues paying.