Author Topic: I LOVE this team but really bummed we didn't sign Cespedes  (Read 2784 times)

Offline 114D

That guy looks like the free agent bargain of the decade and he would have been an absolute perfect fit for the Nats.  And we were allegedly interested at one point.  Total bummer. 

Offline NatsDad14

Remember at one point, Jeff Franceour looked like a ROY and future HOF.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

He's a HOF in my heart

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Doesn't mean Cespedes wouldn't have been the best OF'er on the team this year.

Offline madj55

How has he been in the field? But he would be a huge difference maker in our offense

Offline HalfSmokes

he signed for 4 years $36 million with no track record- there was no way we were in on him that seriously

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I want him at the deadline so badly

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
How has he been in the field? But he would be a huge difference maker in our offense

Well, it's very early, and small sample size means next to nothing when it comes to fielding... but since you asked... he has a UZR/150 of 9.7, so slightly above average in the field.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
He has a good arm, but he takes bad routes or overplays a ball. He'll get better with more time

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I want him at the deadline so badly

That would be grand. It wouldn't surprise me if Beane moves him since he's rebuilding.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
I doubt we have what they would want after the last trade.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

taylor, purke, meyer, goodwin, perez, hood, marrero, moore, ray, lombo, and rosenbaum.  I'm pretty sure we could put together a package

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

taylor, purke, meyer, goodwin, perez, hood, marrero, moore, ray, lombo, and rosenbaum.  I'm pretty sure we could put together a package

Or we could have spent money on him in the first place and signed him when he came to the market... and saved all the prospects.

But what do I know?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Or we could have spent money on him in the first place and signed him when he came to the market... and saved all the prospects.

But what do I know?

LAC

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
He has a good arm, but he takes bad routes or overplays a ball. He'll get better with more time

How will he "get better with more time?"  Hadn't he been playing CF in Cuba?

Offline blue911

How will he "get better with more time?"  Hadn't he been playing CF in Cuba?

They could hit the ball slower

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Given our outfield issues, it's pretty obvious we'd love to have him.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Cespedes has accounted for 40% of all runs scored by the A's this year (Runs + RBI).

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Must be nice

Though, I do have a question: If we were to trade for Cespedes, where would we play Morse and Werth?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Must be nice

Though, I do have a question: If we were to trade for Cespedes, where would we play Morse and Werth?

That's my problem with this. I wouldn't have minded Cespedes at all. I just think the problem was that they expected Harper to be up here soon which would ultimately give us a crowded outfield of Morse - Harper - Werth. It was unfortunate that we lost Morse the way we did, which creates this problem we have now.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I'm hoping werth does well enough this year that he becomes tradable also that we will have room for a real offensive outfielder

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I'm hoping werth does well enough this year that he becomes tradable also that we will have room for a real offensive outfielder

In what world do you think someone would take Werth with such an outlandish contract?

Offline nobleisthyname

Unless he starts hitting like Hamilton nobody is going to want an outfielder on the wrong side of 30 with a bloated contract.

Offline HalfSmokes

Unless he starts hitting like Hamilton nobody is going to want an outfielder on the wrong side of 30 with a bloated contract.

even then, we'd probably have to chip in for most of his contract