Author Topic: Nationals vs Astros, Game 4  (Read 16111 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Nationals vs Astros, Game 4
« Reply #575: April 20, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »
I don't mind him letting Gorzo burn but as others have pointed out he could have let EJax go back out and the game wasn't hopeless UNTIL he sent Gorzo out.

A high pitch count per inning, particularly in the first, will often tip the scales towards removing a pitcher an inning earlier.

The decision could have gone either way. Davey has been pretty darn conservative with pitch counts this spring.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #576: April 20, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »
A high pitch count per inning, particularly in the first, will often tip the scales towards removing a pitcher an inning earlier.

The decision could have gone either way. Davey has been pretty darn conservative with pitch counts this spring.

As he was last year.

I don't like how he babies the pitching staff.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #577: April 20, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »

But this ignores other factors like his overall reaosnable pitch count and the fact that he'd been cruising since the 2nd inning.

Definitely.  I didn't like it with Detwiler either, but I at least understood in that case.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #578: April 20, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »

I get this, but his pitch counts after the first inning were 13, 20, 11, and 12.  It seems he was pulled two innings early instead of one.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #579: April 20, 2012, 10:45:03 AM »
I get this, but his pitch counts after the first inning were 13, 20, 11, and 12.  It seems he was pulled two innings early instead of one.

What site did you use to pull the inning-by-inning pitch counts? I was looking for that while typing my post.

To clarify, I'm not saying I would have pulled Jackson.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #580: April 20, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
What site did you use to pull the inning-by-inning pitch counts? I was looking for that while typing my post.

To clarify, I'm not saying I would have pulled Jackson.

Brooks (they still post the pitchfx data after the game, just not during).

I do get what you are saying though, that there is some type of logic behind pulling him.  But like you, I don't know if I myself would have used that logic.  Of course the only thing I manage in real life is the order in which the icons on my desktop are arranged....

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #581: April 20, 2012, 10:51:41 AM »
Brooks (they still post the pitchfx data after the game, just not during).

I do get what you are saying though, that there is some type of logic behind pulling him.  But like you, I don't know if I myself would have used that logic.  Of course the only I manage in real life is the order in which the icons on my desktop are arranged....

Thanks. If I had seen the specific inning by inning pitch counts, I probably wouldn't have typed my post, or would have worded it differently.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #582: April 20, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »
Thanks. If I had seen the specific inning by inning pitch counts, I probably wouldn't have typed my post, or would have worded it differently.

Why should you be the only one to have logic filter what you type?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #583: April 20, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
I think that Davey was looking at what EJax' pitch count would be after one more inning.  89 + average of 14 = 103.  Davey didn't want EJax to get into more trouble as he got that high, and be forced to bring in a RP, with the stress and pressure of guys on base.  So he brought in Gorz, who has been good, with nobody on, nobody out. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #584: April 20, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
I think that Davey was looking at what EJax' pitch count would be after one more inning.  89 + average of 14 = 103.  Davey didn't want EJax to get into more trouble as he got that high, and be forced to bring in a RP, with the stress and pressure of guys on base.  So he brought in Gorz, who has been good, with nobody on, nobody out. 

(Image removed from quote.) 

But Jackson hadn't had a hint of trouble outside of the first inning and was cruising. The damage had been done, and Jackson was still the best option, with a very reasonable pitch count.

As pointed out, Jackson is our designated innings eater on the staff. If Davey won't let him go six when he's under 100 pitches, we've got a problem.