Author Topic: WNFF Fantasy Baseball AUTOMATIC Draft League Thread  (Read 13224 times)

MoochieDC_86

Re: WNFF Fantasy League Formed For Auto Draft
« Reply #75: February 16, 2007, 10:14:58 AM »
So its automated, have to change the stragety a bit, but I have done automated before and its fun...more trades come out of it I think :D

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #76: February 16, 2007, 10:17:40 AM »
I'll send it again...did you check your spam folder on AOL mail?

MoochieDC_86

« Reply #77: February 16, 2007, 10:21:57 AM »
i got it and i'm in the league...i just looked over it, thats all

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #78: February 16, 2007, 10:24:57 AM »
i got it and i'm in the league...i just looked over it, thats all
Excellant - now all we need is AirZimmerman to join up and we're ready to go.

MoochieDC_86

« Reply #79: February 16, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »
so when is the draft?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #80: February 16, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »
so when is the draft?
The automated draft is March 29, 2007.  If you click on Fantasy at the top of CBS Sportsline  http://www.sportsline.com/mlb
it will bring up the names of any fantasy teams you have.  Click on our league and it shows the draft date in the Summary.  You can now rank your players; note that the last position, "Rounds" lets you rearrange the order in which your positions are drafted.

If you click on League Details, it shows the names of the participants and their team names.  I assume your team is Pure Columbian.  You must love good coffee... 

I was shocked to see names and team names that differed from the screen names used on this forum.  We have one more slot to fill in the 10-team automated draft league.  Air Zimmerman?

I can set up a free live draft league as soon as this one is filled.
Does anyone have a preference for a date and time for a live draft?
With six weeks to go, we can keep creating and filling leagues as long as we have Forum members who want to join them.

MoochieDC_86

« Reply #81: February 16, 2007, 12:53:51 PM »
"Pure Columbian".........just a spin on our city's name...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #82: February 16, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »
"Pure Columbian".........just a spin on our city's name...
Are you in Columbus?  Hey if you have any Clippers news we need somebody to keep tabs on them this season!   8)

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #83: February 17, 2007, 12:35:36 AM »
Since it's MoochieDC_86, I think "Columbian" is a play on "District of Columbia."

I see our automated draft rotisserie-scoring league to be held March 29 is now filled with all 10 players.

I can now set up a free live draft rotisserie-scoring league (unless Senators2005 wants to do it), but a date and time needs to be set.  The NCAA Men's Final Four basketball teams play on Saturday March 31, so I was thinking of 1 PM that day, so the draft is done before the games begin.  But if anyone is interested in a live draft, just post a date and time that's good or bad and we'll figure out what works.  You have a maximum of 90 seconds to make each pick. 
EDIT: The LIVE draft league is now set for Sunday, March 25, 2007 at 8:30 pm.  See the separate thread.

If Zimmerman, Patterson, Ryan Church, Shawn Hill, etc. is picked #1 in one of our draft leagues, it's going to mess up the Sportsline statistics that show the high/low/average draft number of each player.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #84: February 17, 2007, 12:49:48 AM »
The live draft league is all yours Nats2playoffs...make a seperate thread though.

ALL PLAYERS THAT ARE CURRENTLY IN THE AUTOMATED DRAFT - and you don't plan on playing in the live draft league - do absolutely nothing.  Our draft will take place on March 29th as scheduled.

If you intend to play in the LIVE DRAFT league, DO NOT drop out of the current automated one unless you have a replacement.  Thanks.

Sens2k5

MoochieDC_86

« Reply #85: February 17, 2007, 03:52:14 PM »
can't u do both?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #86: February 17, 2007, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #87: March 18, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
I'll play in the automated draft league, if someone drops out. but it's no big deal, so don't go out of your way to leave a spot for me.

AirZimmerman just dropped out yesterday, leaving 9 of 10 teams in the Automated Draft league.  So now's your chance.  The Chief was only going to join to keep it from being cancelled.  I'm betting someone else will come forward, though.  The Forum's Head-to_Head just filled Friday.  A lot of the fantasy players in both leagues are new to the Forum, which is what I thought might happen.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #88: March 18, 2007, 08:23:10 PM »
I'm not monkeying around with the auto league any more - as long as nobody ELSE drops out without a replacement we will go forward with no problem.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #89: March 22, 2007, 12:03:43 AM »
I thought I saw something about what the draft order is.  Was I dreaming or is that out there?  I need to know how to set up my priorities for my draft order. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #90: March 22, 2007, 12:50:15 AM »
Go to the league site at http://freemeeting.1.baseball.sportsline.com/
In the upper right corner it says MESSAGE CENTER.  Click on rank your players.
The Java Rank list works fine for me.  Click on it.  Note that box where you pick the position to rank.  You just drag the names that you want from their current position up or down to where YOU want them.  Then click on SAVE or nothing will be changed. 

Note the last position is called Rounds.  This is an automated draft, so you select the order of each round's picks by position.  I'm not sure if we will be given ANY advance notice of the order of which manager will be picking.  If you KNOW you will pick first, and you want Zimmerman, make 3B the first position you choose, and you'll get him.  Note that Felipe Lopez MUST be selected as a SS, and you won't be able to use him at 2B until he's played 5 games there.  But you CAN activate him at SS and his stats at 2B will be counted.  Lots of people used Soriano at 2B in 2006, a fantasy dream of an extra outfielder in the lineup.  All allowed by rule.

That is exactly why people love the absolute thrill of a LIVE draft.  You see who someone else picks and use your judgment on who is the best player next.  But it all happens VERY fast, so you need to have players ranked and probably a printed list of your draft order. 

An automated CBS draft in the NFL lets you rank players regardless of position.  That software will ignore your choices if you've already maxed out at a position.  But CBS Sportsline for some reason is forcing you to rank the rounds by position for baseball.  This may PREVENT you from actually getting players you want most, even if they are available on your turn.  If you wanted Pujols but assumed someone else would get him, and specified a pitcher, you're out of luck.  You will automatically draft a pitcher.  I also noticed that a lot of players' names are not listed in the lists available.  You can pick them up off waivers after the draft ends.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #91: March 22, 2007, 02:58:16 AM »
I'm not sure if we will be given ANY advance notice of the order of which manager will be picking.  If you KNOW you will pick first, and you want Zimmerman, make 3B the first position you choose, and you'll get him.
No advance notice is given.  The auto draft is hands-off and completed by itself without any user input (except for your player rankings you set before the draft is run).  The draft order is determined by computer and random for the first round, then it distributes order by pattern.  Whoever goes first in the first round will go last in the second...so on and so forth - everyone gets a chance at going first in a round and the order is shuffled equally until all roster positions on all teams have been filled.  Once the draft has been completed and the team rosters have been determined, managers are given their teams to do with what they wish: fill-in, trade, add/drop players as needed by rules for the rest of the seaon.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #92: March 22, 2007, 03:00:18 AM »
If I knew anything about fantasy baseball i'd join, but I dont. :P

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #93: March 22, 2007, 10:22:04 AM »
So, I guess what I was trying to say, is there any way of knowing which team is which in this draft order?  Is it by order of when you joined the league?  Or is it completely random?  I've got my players ranked already.

This is the draft order from the information page of the league.
Draft Order for a 10-team League
Picks   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10
Round 1   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10
Round 2   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3
Round 3   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6
Round 4   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9
Round 5   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2
Round 6   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5
Round 7   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8
Round 8   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1
Round 9   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4
Round 10   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7
Round 11   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10
Round 12   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3
Round 13   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6
Round 14   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9
Round 15   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2
Round 16   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5
Round 17   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8
Round 18   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1
Round 19   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4
Round 20   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7
Round 21   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10
Round 22   Tm4   Tm5   Tm6   Tm7   Tm8   Tm9   Tm10   Tm1   Tm2   Tm3

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #94: March 22, 2007, 11:08:21 AM »
The draft order is determined by computer and random for the first round, then it distributes order by pattern.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #95: March 22, 2007, 01:52:34 PM »
Ok then, I'll go with what I've got and hope it works out for the best.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #96: March 22, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
...Once the draft has been completed and the team rosters have been determined, managers are given their teams to do with what they wish: fill-in, trade, add/drop players as needed by rules for the rest of the season.

The active roster must be set just before the first MLB game on Sunday night April 1.  With the Automated Draft on Thursday we will all need to make roster changes fairly fast.  Just as in Fantasy NFL, the first day's selection from waivers must go through a managers' ranking first (to give the losing managers a better chance to improve their teams.)  We should be able to grab anyone we want off waivers on Sat March 31 with no delays for a screening process.  Any trades will require a 24 hour opportunity for other players to vote to block them (usually because the trade may be unfair.)  So for Week One (the only Sunday first game), if you wait until Saturday afternoon to post a trade for review, you wouldn't be able to make the trade in time, since the transfer occurs between midnight and 6 AM AFTER clearing the 24-hour approval process.

The active lineup in both the Automated Draft AND the Head-to-Head league are set WEEKLY.  (So you can't waste your life away, trying to form the perfect lineup, every day, for 162 games.  You have to anticipate who will pitch or hit, and you could just be plain wrong.)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #97: March 22, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
Sens, did you just........quote yourself?

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #98: March 22, 2007, 02:50:06 PM »
...Whoever goes first in the first round will go last in the second...so on and so forth...

I think Sens quoted himself because he contradicted himself.  For NFL fantasy, CBS Sportsline DOES do this.  Sens' had also quoted the CBS Fantasy BASEBALL rule that DEPARTS from that practice, using a specific pattern instead of First-Last, etc.  DPMOmaha made it obvious by posting the specific pattern used, above.  The managers in the middle of the NFL picking tend to wait a while to get a #1 pick in a round in football.  I don't know why they did this otherwise.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #99: March 22, 2007, 03:57:35 PM »
I think Sens quoted himself because he contradicted himself.  For NFL fantasy, CBS Sportsline DOES do this.  Sens' had also quoted the CBS Fantasy BASEBALL rule that DEPARTS from that practice, using a specific pattern instead of First-Last, etc.  DPMOmaha made it obvious by posting the specific pattern used, above.  The managers in the middle of the NFL picking tend to wait a while to get a #1 pick in a round in football.  I don't know why they did this otherwise.
(Image removed from quote.)    
No Nats2playoffs I didn't quote myself because I contradicted myself...you really love this statistics, numbers stuff don't you?  You're going fantasy baseball crazy man.  All your instructions are even confusing ME and I've played the darn game for the last 5 years.

No I quoted myself because DPMOmaha asked whether the first draft order was determined in any way or whether it was random.  If he had looked at my post immediately before his question, he would see that I said it was RANDOM...and then followed a specific pattern.  Then DPMOmaha proceded in posting the pattern that is shown in the instructions which is not exactly the same as I posted - "first guy goes last next round and so on and so forth"...but I'm just not as obsessed about remembering the exact system like nats2playoffs is.   :lol: