Author Topic: The Fairgrounds (formerly The Bullpen/Das Bullpen)  (Read 3988 times)

Offline e44green

I was just wondering if anyone got the chance to check this place out before the Red Sox exhibition game on 4/3:

http://foodtruckfiesta.com/fairgrounds-dc-site-photos/

Seems like a much better concept then "Das Bullpen." My pregame spot of choice will always be Justin's Cafe but just was just wondering a few things:

Has Bo Blair expanded the beer selection? I know they have Stella and Boddingtons cans at The Bullpen but was wondering if they may try for a little more variety among import beers.

How were the food trucks? Are prices in line with what they regularly charge or do they jack them up because of their proximity to the stadium?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'll be riding past there tomorrow morning and afternoon, but right now it looks like some dump in New Jersey.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I was there on 4/3 and it shows real potential. Much more wide open and will have more diverse food offerings with all the food trucks and all. Didn't stick around to see their beer offerings because I had young son in tow.

But it was a work in progress on 4/3. They are still expanding it, you can tell.

But don't get attached to it. I think it's only for this year before development begins on that lot by the end of the year.

Offline Baseball is Life

And the food prices on the trucks seemed in line with what they usually offer.

Offline e44green

I was there on 4/3 and it shows real potential. Much more wide open and will have more diverse food offerings with all the food trucks and all. Didn't stick around to see their beer offerings because I had young son in tow.

But it was a work in progress on 4/3. They are still expanding it, you can tell.

But don't get attached to it. I think it's only for this year before development begins on that lot by the end of the year.

Thanks for the response, yeah the Food Trucks seem like they will be a real plus.

The whole area was certainly a very saavy investment for Bo Blair. He will never have to work again once he sells that land.

Offline Baseball is Life

Thanks for the response, yeah the Food Trucks seem like they will be a real plus.

The whole area was certainly a very saavy investment for Bo Blair. He will never have to work again once he sells that land.

Who is Bo Blair. I thought the land was owned by Ackridge.

Offline e44green

Who is Bo Blair. I thought the land was owned by Ackridge.

Bo Blair: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/16/AR2009051600058.html

My mistake, according to this article from 2009 he is leasing the land.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
So is this run by the same clowns that ran the bullpen or no? I'll never support those assclowns after they had a Phillies band a couple years ago.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
So is this run by the same clowns that ran the bullpen or no? I'll never support those assclowns after they had a Phillies band a couple years ago.

Not sure but it looks like total crap.  I'll take some pictures tomorrow since I'll be over at that office.  It looks like something out of the shipyards of New Jersey.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Same owners.  I'd boycott them too if I ever went there to begin with.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Akridge owns the property but I think they rented it out to the guy that ran the Bullpen.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Akridge owns the property but I think they rented it out to the guy that ran the Bullpen.

Okay, well head over there if you guys are Phillies fans.

Same owners.  I'd boycott them too if I ever went there to begin with.

lol, pretty much this. They'll really miss my $10 a year I may have spent there.

Offline hammondsnats

I'll be riding past there tomorrow morning and afternoon, but right now it looks like some dump in New Jersey.

hahahahahaha awesome

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Maybe I'm high on baseball, but I kind of like the looks of it from JD's pictures.  I think it's a cool nod to the neighborhood. 

http://www.jdland.com/dc/quickgallery.cfm?qd=120403

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'll post some pictures on the ride home today, but when I rode past it this morning it looked like they were installing glass in some of the empty shipping containers. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

I'll post the others once I get home but that just shouts poverty tourism/Welcome to New Jersey to me.

Offline hammondsnats

i never made it over to the other bullpen, but i did make it over to the one right on the corner when you get out of the stadium (original bullpen ... i liked that place).  so they are making both bullpens into the fairgrounds ... interesting.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Maerskland, USA! 

• babble on
The other one (biergarten) was for grown ups...but any port in a storm, I'd pop in the pop-collar bullpen for a Becks or two while the metro cleared out if the former was closed.

i never made it over to the other bullpen, but i did make it over to the one right on the corner when you get out of the stadium (original bullpen ... i liked that place).  so they are making both bullpens into the fairgrounds ... interesting.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'm sure the yuppies will eat it up.  Red blooded Americans not so much.  Like the Nats, the home opener snuck up on whoever is putting this abortion together. 

• babble on
So...WTF is it?! Vegetable or mineral?  Food?  Booze?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'll post the other pics once I get home but it currently looks like a giant flea market made of shipping containers, except without anything finished.

Offline Baseball is Life

The place actually looks kind of funky and original in real life. You will like it when all the food trucks and people roll in.

Don't listen to MDS. He doesn't like anything except Giant Giancarlo Stanton.