Author Topic: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan  (Read 21671 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan
« Reply #150: February 02, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
Don't trade anybody.  Go into spring training with a surplus.  Multiple teams will lose pitchers to injury this spring and that's when we strike.

well yeah. I didn't mean trade them right this second.  but eventually. before OD.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #151: February 02, 2012, 05:41:38 PM »
Maya would be happy if Lannan was sent to AAA.

He'd no longer have to buy dinner for everyone.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #152: February 02, 2012, 05:43:25 PM »
Maya would be happy if Lannan was sent to AAA.

He'd no longer have to buy dinner for everyone.

Maya.  Talk about an afterthought now.  What a waste of cash that was.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #153: February 02, 2012, 05:56:19 PM »
Well, Wang  will be done by the All Star break due to injury. That makes it a six man rotation. Or a five man and one guy (Detwiler) doing long relief

I get the skepticism on Wang given that he was out for 2+ years, but the shoulder seemed ok when he was back and seemed to get stronger.  Is there a history of guys with that kind of injury having it not hold together?  I thought it was more that they just never made it back, but now that he's back, he'd be ok.  Maybe never again "19 wins in two years for the Yankees," but ok?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #154: February 02, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »
I imagine they'll let the various pitchers duke it out in Spring Training and gain some value than ship one of them off.

Badda-bing. Or see who is healthy, who looks good, etc. That's why ST is for, after all.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #155: February 02, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
Strasburg for ellsbury? 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #156: February 02, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »
Strasburg for ellsbury? 

BBBBWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #157: February 02, 2012, 07:46:13 PM »
Well at least we know who we will be sending over for Dunn. ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #158: February 02, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
I get the skepticism on Wang given that he was out for 2+ years, but the shoulder seemed ok when he was back and seemed to get stronger.  Is there a history of guys with that kind of injury having it not hold together?  I thought it was more that they just never made it back, but now that he's back, he'd be ok.  Maybe never again "19 wins in two years for the Yankees," but ok?

Nearly uncharted territory.  Shoulder injuries generally are bad.  Still as you observed he gained effectiveness as the year wore on, in fact was pretty damned good late.  I think he's going to be quite effective but can't see any way in hell he pitches 200 innings for us.  If we got 160 out of him that would be awesome. 

My over-under would be 130 or so (mindfact).  There will be a limit on Stras, so there will be quite a few innings to soak up.  Note that over history the Nats have used 10-13 pitchers a season.  Maybe we have enough durable arms to cut that down a bit - say 8.  That leaves innings for Lannan, Detwiler, and Maya or Purke or whoever else steps up. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #159: February 02, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »
why would we put an innings limit on wang?  he's a free agent after this year so we can just work him till he drops, then if he has a good year we can re-sign him and if he gets injured we can let him walk and no harm done (to us)

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #160: February 02, 2012, 09:07:28 PM »
My sources tell me this probably won't happen till after Spring Training.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #161: February 02, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »
why would we put an innings limit on wang?  he's a free agent after this year so we can just work him till he drops, then if he has a good year we can re-sign him and if he gets injured we can let him walk and no harm done (to us)

Who said anything about putting an innings limit on him?

I'm saying, he's going to drop.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #162: February 02, 2012, 09:09:52 PM »
I'm saying, he's going to drop.

You mean like the Pharcyde music video of Drop? You know, the one where they are all walking backwards but then the video is shown backwards so it looks like they're moving forward? It works in this scenario because then Wang would be going backwards towards his Yankee days while his career moves forwards.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #163: February 02, 2012, 09:10:39 PM »
To count on Wang to pitch a whole season is naive and foolish. We must have a backup plan for him and something ready for when Strasburg is done.

Either that or we go with some crazy 7 man rotation in an effort to stretch out Strasburg for the playoffs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #164: February 02, 2012, 09:15:08 PM »
To count on Wang to pitch a whole season is naive and foolish. We must have a backup plan for him and something ready for when Strasburg is done.

Either that or we go with some crazy 7 man rotation in an effort to stretch out Strasburg for the playoffs.

Exactly.  Lannan, Wang, Maya, Purke, Meyer, etc all may factor.  We need depth if we are going to compete. 

If the Nats burned Lannan's last option to start the season - and I concede that at this point I would put a low probability on that happening - it would signal they really mean business for 2012. 

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #165: February 02, 2012, 09:17:56 PM »
Maya is a joke.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #166: February 02, 2012, 09:18:50 PM »
Maya is a joke.

Nah, he's an arm.  A tad better than Bacsik.

Oh, I forgot Stammen.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #167: February 02, 2012, 09:30:34 PM »
Nearly uncharted territory.  Shoulder injuries generally are bad.  Still as you observed he gained effectiveness as the year wore on, in fact was pretty damned good late.  I think he's going to be quite effective but can't see any way in hell he pitches 200 innings for us.  If we got 160 out of him that would be awesome. 

My over-under would be 130 or so (mindfact).  There will be a limit on Stras, so there will be quite a few innings to soak up.  Note that over history the Nats have used 10-13 pitchers a season.  Maybe we have enough durable arms to cut that down a bit - say 8.  That leaves innings for Lannan, Detwiler, and Maya or Purke or whoever else steps up.

To me, that's what Gorzelanny's for. There's no reason to think Wang won't last the season, but you'd be foolish to plan as if thats a done deal. Still, now with Jackson and Gio who should comfortably give you 200 each, Znn who should give you in that neighborhood, and Stras at 160, We're a long way away from relying on Daniel Cabrera to pitch meaningful innings for us.  Even if you only get 130 out of Wang, that's roughly 22-25 starts.  Jackson, Gio and Znn give you around 30 ish and stras does 25.  That's 140, meaning pitchers 5-8 are starting 22 games.  Det gets most of those, so to me, Lannan is utterly expendable now. Even if something catastrophic happens in May - like Gio or jax going down, you've got Detwiler as a piece before you get to the Maya, Stammen, Gorzo, etc.

Damn, now that I write it out, I really like the Jackson signing. We have real pitching depth. Is this what rooting for an actual major league team feels like?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #168: February 02, 2012, 09:36:02 PM »
Lannan has options?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #169: February 02, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #170: February 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
one left

We aren't trading anyone necessarily then.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #171: February 02, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »
To me, that's what Gorzelanny's for. There's no reason to think Wang won't last the season, but you'd be foolish to plan as if thats a done deal.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wang.  I love the story, I love the way he pitches, his fortitude and his stuff.  But he hasn't pitched 100 innings since 2007.  Since then, it's been 95,42,0, and 62.

I forgot about Gorzelanny, thanks.  Love the depth, we're going to need it.

Lannan
Gorzelanny
Detwiler
Stammen
Maya

We've had worse major league rotations.

:clap:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #172: February 02, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »
I say we tell Lannan to do a cycle of 'roids so he gets a 50 game suspension at the start of the year.  By the time he comes back, we can slot him in as a replacement for whoever is shaky and can stick on the DL for "anxiety" issues.   We can give Strasburg a week or two off so he can go to Europe, saving bullets for the end of the year.  Rotate leave during the year.  Poof - our problem goes away!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #173: February 02, 2012, 09:45:01 PM »

We aren't trading anyone necessarily then.

he's not going to the minors.  rizzo said the same thing today.  either lannan gets traded or somehow he works from the pen. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #174: February 02, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »
he's not going to the minors.  rizzo said the same thing today.  either lannan gets traded or somehow he works from the pen. 

We can't have Wang and Gorzo and Lannan in the pen, that's crazy talk.