Author Topic: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan  (Read 21667 times)

Offline 24 Nats

Re: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan
« Reply #250: February 04, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
Who didn't other than the Nats and Orioles?

Boston.

Offline zoom

« Reply #251: February 04, 2012, 03:42:36 PM »
Edwin Jackson + Corey Brown for Brett Gardner. Yankees need a good pitcher after Sabathia and maybe Ivan Nova. Hughes, and Burnett are not much. If the Nats have Jackson, and he's basically an extra pitcher on an already-good rotation, use him for someone really valuable. (And please get someone to remove C Brown)

(Assumption: Lannan does not bring much in trade.)

The Yankees have Pineda.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #252: February 04, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
he'd rather have lannan than penny.  and i'm not saying lannan would be the centerpiece.  no chance that would happen.

sure, but not at the cost of Jones unless Lannan was a throw in and the real prizes were two of our top remaining arms in the minors.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #253: February 04, 2012, 04:38:02 PM »
The Yankees have Pineda.

and Kuroda and Garcia and Banuelos and Betances and . . .

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #254: February 04, 2012, 04:46:15 PM »
The Yankees have Pineda.

Yup. and Nova

Sabathia
Nova
Pineda
Burnett
Whatever they want.

Rotation is strong. And its not like they won't score runs.

Lannan's value will go up as the trade deadline approaches. Someone always wants  another pitcher to try and make the playoffs.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #255: February 04, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
I'd like picking up a guy like Thames from Toronto.  Sure his D is suspect, but the bat is there.  CF would still be patrolled by Werth though, but I was already ok with that.  Worst case the three way idea of Selig sending Byrd to Boston and then Boston trading Byrd for Lannan seems fair.

I'd rather take Thames who has speed and power, and maybe could break out with better D, as he is still young.  Plus he is a lefty!

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #256: February 04, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
I'd do Lannan + someone else for Charlie Blackmon in an instant, just put that kid in CF and see what he can do. He can play center, he isn't great at it but adequate, and he's hit .297 or better and got on base at .360 or better at every level in the minors, inlcuding a .390 mark at AAA. He makes contact, bats lefty, and takes a few walks. I mean I love Lannan but even if Blackmon doesn't work out well, I wouldn't regret it.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/blackch02.shtml

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #257: February 04, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
sure, but not at the cost of Jones unless Lannan was a throw in and the real prizes were two of our top remaining arms in the minors.

that's why someone mentioned solis.  maybe lannan, detwiler, lombo and a prospect.  who knows ... the o's need a lot of pitching. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #258: February 04, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
i like it

I loved it, then the last two seasons sucked and I wanted to junkpunch JJ Abrams.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #259: February 04, 2012, 07:53:54 PM »
After a certain point, Jones' value will start to decline if the O's hang on to him.  The Astros didn't really get a ton for Bourn after waiting until he had 1.5 years of team control left. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #260: February 04, 2012, 08:44:00 PM »
The Yankees already basically passed on Jackson

If the Yankees passed on Jackson, and, yes, I don't remember anything in the NY press about him, then why are we so excited to have him? The Nats can't hit, so Rizzo signs Lidge. Lidge adds no offense (sure), so the Nats sign Jackson. What is the logic?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #261: February 04, 2012, 08:51:03 PM »
The logic is that Jackson is better than Lannan and Wang so we spent the money to upgrade.

It's not like there's any offensive guys in FA left out there that really can improve the team as much as Jackson can.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #262: February 04, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »
If the Yankees passed on Jackson, and, yes, I don't remember anything in the NY press about him, then why are we so excited to have him? The Nats can't hit, so Rizzo signs Lidge. Lidge adds no offense (sure), so the Nats sign Jackson. What is the logic?

Gonna be the first team in history with a team era under 1. Score 2 and win.  Of course, we'll end 83-79 while setting a record for "games lost 1-0."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #263: February 04, 2012, 08:51:43 PM »
If the Yankees passed on Jackson, and, yes, I don't remember anything in the NY press about him, then why are we so excited to have him?

wow really?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #264: February 04, 2012, 09:07:27 PM »
Tigers have a bunch of right handed pitchers and could use Lannan.

Don Kelly is a decent utility player - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kellydo01.shtml
Andy Dirks would be a pretty good player here - maybe similar in some ways to Bernadina but a bit better - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dirksan01.shtml

There could be a trade there.  The two teams already made one trade together this year with Balester and Perry.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #265: February 04, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
Tigers have a bunch of right handed pitchers and could use Lannan.

Don Kelly is a decent utility player - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/k/kellydo01.shtml
Andy Dirks would be a pretty good player here - maybe similar in some ways to Bernadina but a bit better - http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dirksan01.shtml

There could be a trade there.  The two teams already made one trade together this year with Balester and Perry.

I guess there's no chance they move Austin Jackson?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #266: February 04, 2012, 09:17:16 PM »

We already have Ean Desmond, Roger Bernadina, and Mark DeRosa.  A 31 year-old with a sub-700 OPS == no way.

Much in the same way a blowout at 60mph is better than a blowout at 70mph.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #267: February 04, 2012, 09:21:08 PM »
I guess there's no chance they move Austin Jackson?

they could be frustrated with him due to his 181 strikeouts last year leading off so i guess it's possible.  he has good defense, speed, and a decent OBP

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #268: February 04, 2012, 09:50:31 PM »
I thought the Orioles traded Jones to the Braves... or did I mindfact that?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #269: February 04, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
I thought the Orioles traded Jones to the Braves... or did I mindfact that?

:crazy:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #270: February 04, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
Gonna be the first team in history with a team era under 1. Score 2 and win.  Of course, we'll end 83-79 while setting a record for "games lost 1-0."

I don't see why people are bent on saying the offense will be putrid. It may not be what it should be if the owners weren't so freaking cheap but I don't see it being as bad as some people seem to think it will be.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #271: February 04, 2012, 10:25:46 PM »
I don't see why people are bent on saying the offense will be putrid. It may not be what it should be if the owners weren't so freaking cheap but I don't see it being as bad as some people seem to think it will be.

i just think if they are going to go with a questionable leadoff hitter, it would've been nice to have a guy like fielder who really would've made our middle of the line-up full of guys who have pop (werth/zimmerman/fielder/morse/harper/etc).

and on the other side, if we had gotten a guy like reyes, we would've had a top of the order presence we haven't had.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #272: February 04, 2012, 10:25:47 PM »

A tad below average I think, assuming Z-man is healthy.  Could be above average if we could get our 1-2 slots up to snuff.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #273: February 04, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »
and who knows maybe zimmerman stays healthy and posts his career norms, morse continues to progress or stay at his level, werth has a bounce back year, ramos improves, laroche is healthy, harper can shine under the bright lights, espinosa and desmond take the next step ...

but at the same time look at the flip side.  could be a collective crap storm.  we'll see.  i'm tired of saying it and i know everyone's tired of hearing it, but this is a playoff team with one extra bat. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #274: February 04, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »
A tad below average I think, assuming Z-man is healthy.  Could be above average if we could get our 1-2 slots up to snuff.

But not the type of offense that will set a record for 1-0 losses! If that happens Stephen Strasburg will be Walter Johnson reincarnated.  :lol: