Author Topic: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan  (Read 21328 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Nats Aggressively Shopping Lannan
« Reply #175: February 02, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Wang.  I love the story, I love the way he pitches, his fortitude and his stuff.  But he hasn't pitched 100 innings since 2007.  Since then, it's been 95,42,0, and 62.

I forgot about Gorzelanny, thanks.  Love the depth, we're going to need it.

Lannan
Gorzelanny
Detwiler
Stammen
Maya

We've had worse major league rotations.

:clap:
That looks a lot like the '09 rotation....

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #176: February 02, 2012, 09:50:46 PM »
How many lefties will we carry in the pen?  Burnett or Gorzo get traded now?  Detwiler is the easiest to slide back to the pen now. 

Figure 4 righties are locks for the bullpen - Storen, Clippard, Lidge, and HRod.  Perry, Matheus, and Stammen are the inventory in Syracuse.   

I have problems seeing Wang in the bullpen with his shoulder.  If he could do it, then the last few slots could be Lannan #5 in the rotation and 3 out of Burnett, Gorzo, Det, and Wang in the pen.  If Wang is #5, then that leaves 4 lefties for 3 bullpen slots and the odd one traded.

This still does not look like Davey's favorite set up of a lefty and a righty multi-inning reliever. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #177: February 02, 2012, 09:57:28 PM »
We can't have Wang and Gorzo and Lannan in the pen, that's crazy talk.

Lannan isn't going to the minors.  He'll be shipped out before he would get sent down.  Not that hard to understand.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #178: February 02, 2012, 10:07:44 PM »

Gorzelanny
Detwiler
Stammen
Maya

our next best 5 guys are better than whole rotations we've had in previous years.  wow were we pathetic.  wow is our rotation good.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #179: February 02, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

We can't have Wang and Gorzo and Lannan in the pen, that's crazy talk.

Strass
Zimmermann
Gio
Jackson
Wang

So all three wont be in the pen. Rizzo was on sports reporters tonight and didn't seem confident Wang could go the whole season and it seems like Zimmermann has a cap (he gave Stras, Wang, plus Zimmermann being limited as a reason for depth). I think someone gets dealt, but if not I could see Lannan starting in the minors. Throw in the fact that Wang and Jackson are on one year deals and you can easily see both dealt at the deadline if we're not in it, so depth may be needed

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #180: February 02, 2012, 10:09:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Wang.  I love the story, I love the way he pitches, his fortitude and his stuff.  But he hasn't pitched 100 innings since 2007.  Since then, it's been 95,42,0, and 62.

We agree. I'm not saying he's not an injury risk - just that there's no particular reason to know for sure he won't be healthy and bounce back, unlike stras, who you know is gone after 160 or so (presuming its not sooner).

We've had worse major league rotations.

Lannan-Gorzo-Detwiler-Stammen-Maya, hmmm. Off the top of my head, Znn probably makes 2009 better, but it's close (a lot of these guys were the 09 rotation, come to think of it).  I'll take that 5 over 08 and 07 in a heartbeat, though. 

P.S. good for you for saying you love Wang.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.m ;)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #181: February 02, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
You mean like the Pharcyde music video of Drop? You know, the one where they are all walking backwards but then the video is shown backwards so it looks like they're moving forward? It works in this scenario because then Wang would be going backwards towards his Yankee days while his career moves forwards.

great jam too

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #182: February 02, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »
anyone remember when the team considered atilano, mock and martin MLB starters, and Lannan our ace?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #183: February 02, 2012, 10:32:19 PM »
Lannan isn't going to the minors.  He'll be shipped out before he would get sent down.  Not that hard to understand.

Team control. Rizzos favorite words.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #184: February 02, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
Team control. Rizzos favorite words.

They'd stick him in the pen over him spending time in Cuse.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #185: February 02, 2012, 10:39:34 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Wang. 

AZ has returned and has hacked a mod.  :shock:

Online imref

« Reply #186: February 02, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
sorry if this got posted earlier, still trying to catch up.  Here's ESPN's Dave Schoenfeld on who we could get for Lannan:

Blue Jays: Toronto currently has Brett Cecil, Henderson Alvarez and Dustin McGowan in its rotation. The Jays have an Eric Thames/Ben Francisco platoon in left. The Nats could go after Thames (a left-handed bat they could use) or maybe former top prospect Travis Snider.

Royals: Maybe the $5 million is too steep for the Royals, but let's face it: If they want to consider themselves sleeper playoff contenders this year, they need to upgrade the rotation. Jarrod Dyson is an all-speed, no-power center fielder who might be a slight upgrade over Roger Bernadina if he can get on base enough.

Tigers: Detroit might want to keep top prospect Jacob Turner in Triple-A, but it lacks a lefty in the rotation. Lannan for Delmon Young or Andy Dirks?

Red Sox: Boston could certainly use another arm, but not sure there's a good fit here.

Cubs: Marlon Byrd is a free agent after the season and would be a nice one-year fill-in for the Nats in center. Not sure Lannan is Theo Epstein's type of pitcher, however.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #187: February 02, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
anyone remember when the team considered atilano, mock and martin MLB starters, and Lannan our ace?

SF started a thread once about Lannan being a possible "ace".  :lmao:  But yeah I'm glad those days are behind us. The thought of the likes of Mock, Atilano, Martin, Bacsik and Stammen makes me   :spaz:

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #188: February 02, 2012, 10:42:34 PM »
all those guys are crap except for byrd

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #189: February 02, 2012, 10:43:06 PM »
SF started a thread once about Lannan being a possible "ace".  :lmao:  But yeah I'm glad those days are behind us. The thought of the likes of Mock, Atilano, Martin, Bacsik and Stammen makes me   :spaz:

someone needs to bump that so we can laugh at it

Online imref

« Reply #190: February 02, 2012, 10:47:39 PM »
all those guys are crap except for byrd

what are you expecting to get for a #4/5 starter making $5 million with another arbitration year next year?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #191: February 02, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
someone needs to bump that so we can laugh at it

^
||

Who gives a freak about the past.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #192: February 02, 2012, 10:55:52 PM »
what are you expecting to get for a #4/5 starter making $5 million with another arbitration year next year?

This. Too many people on here think we can magically trade crap away for good players.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #193: February 02, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »
Well he's better than crap so I'd expect a little better than crap

Online imref

« Reply #194: February 02, 2012, 11:14:29 PM »
so who is going down to Nats park tomorrow to put up a "Pitcher available, inquire within" sign on the CF gate?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #195: February 02, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »
Luis Atilano, I had almost forgotten about him...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #196: February 02, 2012, 11:57:27 PM »
You mean like the Pharcyde music video of Drop? You know, the one where they are all walking backwards but then the video is shown backwards so it looks like they're moving forward? It works in this scenario because then Wang would be going backwards towards his Yankee days while his career moves forwards.

Great song!

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #197: February 03, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
We could probably afford to give up Lannan, Flores, and a bullpen guy in exchange for an upgrade in the outfield.  Don't know who we match up with.

Alternatively, the Nats could just sign Fukudome to get them into June when they can bring up Harper.  Maybe trade Lannan for a couple of prospects if there is no room for him here.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #198: February 03, 2012, 06:00:12 AM »
sorry if this got posted earlier, still trying to catch up.  Here's ESPN's Dave Schoenfeld on who we could get for Lannan:

Blue Jays: Toronto currently has Brett Cecil, Henderson Alvarez and Dustin McGowan in its rotation. The Jays have an Eric Thames/Ben Francisco platoon in left. The Nats could go after Thames (a left-handed bat they could use) or maybe former top prospect Travis Snider.

Royals: Maybe the $5 million is too steep for the Royals, but let's face it: If they want to consider themselves sleeper playoff contenders this year, they need to upgrade the rotation. Jarrod Dyson is an all-speed, no-power center fielder who might be a slight upgrade over Roger Bernadina if he can get on base enough.

Tigers: Detroit might want to keep top prospect Jacob Turner in Triple-A, but it lacks a lefty in the rotation. Lannan for Delmon Young or Andy Dirks?

Red Sox: Boston could certainly use another arm, but not sure there's a good fit here.

Cubs: Marlon Byrd is a free agent after the season and would be a nice one-year fill-in for the Nats in center. Not sure Lannan is Theo Epstein's type of pitcher, however.

Dirks looks interesting.  Don't know much about Dyson - looks almost like a Nyjer Morgan type player.

« Reply #199: February 03, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »

On the other hand, $5 million for a fairly steady lefty for a rotation is a bargain.
A lot of those guys mentioned in a possible trade don't solve the 15-year CF problem this franchise has. Might have to get a third team involved to do that.