Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 204252 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
tbh, I have not had provolone on burgers all that much to opine.  But seriously, Kraft singles on a burger?  Does it add flavor?  I'd rather taste the burger.  Blue kicks it up.  Cheddar doesn't melt right on meat. 

Even the late Anthony Bourdain was a huge fan of American on burgers.

And the right kind of cheddar can be incredible.  The best burger I've ever had only needed three toppings: caramelized onions, pink sauce, and smoked cheddar.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Velveeta singles on a grilled burger  :az:

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Provolone goes well with steak sandwiches. I'm not sure if it works with hamburger, but that's a matter of individual taste. One of the best burgers I've ever had used Emmental cheese, but when I tried to replicate it, the results were terrible. My preference is cheddar.

Is the reason for accounting for O's fans in NVa any different than to account for the number of Pirate fans in NVa ?  Or Red Sox or Yankee fans ?  How many of these O's fans go to a game in Baltimore anymore ?
I think so. The Senators/Rangers left in 1971 and the Expos arrived in 2005. That is more than three decades where the Orioles were the closest to a home team that home-grown DC area baseball fans had (as opposed to the area's many transients and transplants who brought with them loyalty to teams elsewhere, like the Pirates, Sox or Yankees). I grew up in West Palm Beach, Florida, where the closest to a "home" team were an Expos minor league affiliate and Braves spring training, but did not really become a strong baseball fan until I was in college in DC in the late 1980s. And that meant the Orioles. There was an Orioles store in McPherson Square (IIRC), and "home games" were a trip to Memorial Stadium and then Camden Yards. And then we spent the late 1990s watching Angelos destroy Baltimore baseball, first by acting like a wannabe Steinbrenner, and then by pretty much giving up on producing much more than a mediocre product. I can't speak to stadium attendance since my health doesn't really allow me to go to games, but I still watch both Nats and Orioles games on MASN.

Online hotshot

I supported the original and expansion Senators. In baseball's hiatus from DC, I took my kids to Memorial Stadium a handful of times. Never could get into supporting the O's though. Always rooted for their opponent. It's a Baltimore-DC thing.

Offline Five Banners

I supported the original and expansion Senators. In baseball's hiatus from DC, I took my kids to Memorial Stadium a handful of times. Never could get into supporting the O's though. Always rooted for their opponent. It's a Baltimore-DC thing.

I'm watching a replay of the mid-Atlantic sports report the day after the World Series win.  As I'm watching the highlights, a scroll persists about about the opportunity to order Orioles tickets. The meat and cheese separation analogy currently in vogue springs to mind.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Gorgonzola on a burger is fantastic. So is Gouda.  But American is really good because it’s a cheese designed for melting. Hell, I think it was created for use on a cheeseburger.

Offline HalfSmokes

Gorgonzola on a burger is fantastic. So is Gouda.  But American is really good because it’s a cheese designed for melting. Hell, I think it was created for use on a cheeseburger.

I thought it was designed to be cheaply mass produced :shrug:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
A lot of you are simply bad people

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
A lot of you are simply bad people

When comrade Sanders takes over we will eat you first :popcorn:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Depends on which cheese they use. For slate I'm guessing gorgonzola?  :crackup:

Offline Natsinpwc

If I have cheese on a burger it’s usually American. Swiss is good with mushrooms though.  If the meat is really good there is no need for cheese or too many other toppings.

Online Slateman

Fools, I will be the ones sending all you rich and unworkable people to the death camps.

Also, cheese will be banned in the new regime because of climate change.

Offline Natsinpwc

Fools, I will be the ones sending all you rich and unworkable people to the death camps.

Also, cheese will be banned in the new regime because of climate change.
I picture the death camp as soldiers reading your inane posts to us over and over and over....

Offline aspenbubba

I like my burger " Pittsburgh" and with crumbled bleu cheese . I also add bacon and if feeling really decadent will have grilled onions and mushrooms. If available have it on a toasted English muffin. Clydes does it this way upon request. Happy Thanksgiving all!!

Online Slateman

I picture the death camp as soldiers reading your inane posts to us over and over and over....

No, those will be in the Mayor Pete/Lizzy Warren camps.

In the Bernie camps, you are forced to listen to his ramblings about millionaires while you're served plant based, alternative burgers.

Offline Natsinpwc

In the Bernie camps, you are forced to listen to his ramblings about millionaires while you're served plant based, alternative burgers.
Much better than reading your posts.  :hysterical:

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...

I thought soylent green was people :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
the Colonel?  What kind of cheese does KFC use in its bowls?

And don't bring chicken into this.  This is a red meat and cheese discussion because 'Murika

Offline Dave in Fairfax

Your experience does seem typical for a lot of Senators fans. As I noted, though, there were whole generations of fans who grew up with no memories of the Senators.

It might have been different if the DC area had another baseball team in the interim. There's a discussion here (O's fan forum) on whom Baltimore fans rooted for before 1954. The consensus seems to be the local AAA team rather than any MLB team, including the Senators, although much of that has to do with lack of a TV market, so Baltimoreans didn't have much exposure to the Senators anyway.

Someone in that thread looked at old issues of the Baltimore Sun to see what baseball coverage there was, and it was mostly the AAA team with MLB coverage relegated to AP box scores. I suspect if you looked at 1980s-1990s issues of the Washington Post, you'd find rather more dedicated coverage of the Orioles, though still drowned out by coverage of the Redskins and Bullets/Wizards (and maybe Hoyas for a little while).

Online hotshot

You're right in that pre-1954 Baltimore, the fans up there strongly supported its International League team. If you put a guyn to their collective head, they'd never support Washington.

When I moved to DC in 1966, both Baltimore teams (the NFL Colts and the AL Orioles) were terrific. The Redskins and Senators were the polar opposite (both last place teams). That factor played no small part in my rooting harder against the Baltimore teams. My first Redskins game in the Summer of 1966 was HC Otto Graham's first one as well. Colts beat us at RFK 30-0. That was typical.

Angelos helping keep baseball out of DC for decades is a more recent factor. Why I hope that franchise implodes even more.

Offline stanleycaps98

• I root for the laundry
I suspect if you looked at 1980s-1990s issues of the Washington Post, you'd find rather more dedicated coverage of the Orioles, though still drowned out by coverage of the Redskins and Bullets/Wizards (and maybe Hoyas for a little while).

I am one of those who grew up in DC as an O's fan for lack of DC alternative. The '79 and '83 World series are part of my core, and absolutely, it was a conscious decision by the Washington Post to have regular staff coverage of the O's at that time. Jack Kent Cooke and Edward Bennett Williams owned the Skins, and then EBW, sold out and bought the O's. As a prominent DC attorney, it was a foregone conclusion. Even the relocation of the team from Memorial Stadium to Camden Yards was done to better attract DC patrons. Thanks to Angelos, I haven't been to a game in Baltimore since around 1996 and will never give him a dime. Adopted the Nats when they came and haven't looked back.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
But society was very different then.  The idea of driving between Balt & DC was considered a chore - not just something to do for fun.

You're right in that pre-1954 Baltimore, the fans up there strongly supported its International League team. If you put a guyn to their collective head, they'd never support Washington.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
But society was very different then.  The idea of driving between Balt & DC was considered a chore - not just something to do for fun.

Route 1. I95 wasn't built yet. That would have been a terrible drive.

Offline HalfSmokes

Do people do that drive for fun now? Traffic is still miserable on either the BW parkway or 95

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
If I have cheese on a burger it’s usually American. Swiss is good with mushrooms though.  If the meat is really good there is no need for cheese or too many other toppings.
I love Swiss cheese on a GOOD Burger. If the burger is just eh then I don't think any cheese can help it. Been a long time since I had a real good Swiss Cheeseburger.

If I recall correctly back when White Flint Mall was in it's heyday and the food court was at it's peak. They had a burger place (Kensington Feed Co.) that had terrific Swiss Burgers.