Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 205741 times)

Offline NJ Ave

It's mostly background stuff we all know with little prospective analysis of what will happen. "Other clubs are watching the decision closely..." and all that.

You know it's not a great article because he doesn't even get into the most interesting conflict: the fear the other owners have of Peter Angelos against the fact that a higher figure for the Nats helps them all drive their future deals with their own RSNs.

Will the other owners cowtow to Angelos even when giving the Nats a low figure likely hurts them financially down the road?

Online HalfSmokes

there is also mets fear of having another large market team in the division

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
The article does have 1 detail that I hadn't seen before, that the Nats were asking for $100M and that MASN was thinking more along the lines of $64M (a $35M increase).

Offline NJ Ave

That's a mistake that comes from the same Sports Business Journal article that hack Maury Brown poached the rest of the article from. Quote: "MASN said the fee should average about $35 million a year, citing the team’s low TV ratings and tepid fan base."

Not a $35 million increase, as Maury Brown wrote, but $35 million TOTAL. This is what Maury Brown plagiarized: "Fine, the Nationals want a bump, but the increase should be more like $35 million based on how ratings have been in the past and their low attendance. "

Again, never believe a friggin' hack who can't even plagiarize correctly from an article that came out two weeks ago.

The REAL article: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/06/11/Media/MASN-Nationals.aspx

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
TV ratings for Nationals broadcasts on MASN, MASN2 and WDCW are up 53 percent year-to-year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/nats-tv-ratings-on-masn-up-53-percent/2012/06/26/gJQAbuhv4V_blog.html

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline blue911

Has anybody stopped to think about what will happen if the the arbitration panel rules against the Lerners?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Has anybody stopped to think about what will happen if the the arbitration panel rules against the Lerners?

Epic board meltdown.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Epic board meltdown.

A massive sell off of all the team's high priced contracts.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

I mentioned it a couple of pages ago and was told "no chance." 

Offline blue911

Epic board meltdown.

If a top 10 market is only worth $35M per, what is the market for KC worth? The LA market is up for grabs, does anybody expect any ruling that will diminish that payday?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
If a top 10 market is only worth $35M per, what is the market for KC worth? The LA market is up for grabs, does anybody expect any ruling that will diminish that payday?

Define "Top 10 Market".  :stir:

Offline blue911

I mentioned it a couple of pages ago and was told "no chance." 

The ruling won't be about Lerner v MASN, but about MLB v RSN. We will protect our brand, anything else is beyond lunacy.

Offline blue911

Define "Top 10 Market".  :stir:

You know, what ever the FCC/TV guys say is a top ten market. As far as I can tell,DC falls in that category- just axe Hammonds.  :D

Online HalfSmokes

we better like Zimmerman and Werth a lot because everyone else making big money is gone and we're not bringing any white whale in either

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.

Legal challenges by the Lerners against Angelos, MASN and MLB would be my guess.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
The ruling won't be about Lerner v MASN, but about MLB v RSN. We will protect our brand, anything else is beyond lunacy.

That wasn't really my intent. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun

Need Hoagie to come back and tell us that the future is bleak and the end is nigh. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
You know, what ever the FCC/TV guys say is a top ten market. As far as I can tell,DC falls in that category- just axe Hammonds.  :D

Not sure what criteria they use, but here is the Nielsen ratings people's assessment based on 'number of TV homes' in 2010:

1 New York 7,493,530
2 Los Angeles 5,659,170
3 Chicago 3,501,010
4 Philadelphia 2,955,190
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,544,410
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,503,400
7 Boston 2,410,180
8 Atlanta 2,387,520
9 Washington, DC 2,335,040
10 Houston 2,123,460

Largest non-MLB market was 19th-ranked Orlando/Daytona/Melbourne at 1,455,620; Baltiless came in 27th at 1,093,170.

Offline blue911

That wasn't really my intent. 

I know, but I was on this soapbox and decided I'd rant on, bro.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I know, but I was on this soapbox and decided I'd rant on, bro.

Keep preaching.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Not sure what criteria they use, but here is the Nielsen ratings people's assessment based on 'number of TV homes' in 2010:

1 New York 7,493,530
2 Los Angeles 5,659,170
3 Chicago 3,501,010
4 Philadelphia 2,955,190
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth 2,544,410
6 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose 2,503,400
7 Boston 2,410,180
8 Atlanta 2,387,520
9 Washington, DC 2,335,040
10 Houston 2,123,460

Largest non-MLB market was 19th-ranked Orlando/Daytona/Melbourne at 1,455,620; Baltiless came in 27th at 1,093,170.

Orlando and Daytona are one media market?  They're further apart than DC and Baltimore.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Orlando and Daytona are one media market?  They're further apart than DC and Baltimore.

That does look rather strange indeed, but I think it may be because Nielsen has historically used VHF telly service areas (how retro!) as the principal definition of a television market, and Daytona may not have any (until the 1960's it wasn't that big a town), and they may have historically gotten Orlando over-the-air telly in pre-cable days (I think Jacksonville is even farther away than Orlando).

Offline RobDibblesGhost

June 1 came and went, and now July 1 has come and gone.  Anyone know anything?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
June 1 came and went, and now July 1 has come and gone.  Anyone know anything?

I stand by my statement that this won't ever be released.  Can you imagine the asspounding (i.e. penalty and fines) MLB would dish out to any dipcrap that leaks the results of this deal?  I still think Blue is right - this is going to end up being MLB vs. RSNs (i.e. house of cards) and MLB isn't going to lose.