Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203555 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
You do realize that without Strasburg and Harper they would still be in first or second place in the NL East this year, don't you?

On the other point, every single instance of the "Lerners being cheap" to my memory, was proved to be correct in retrospect.

First it was "OMG U CANT LET SORIANO LEAVE!!!!!"

Then, "DUNN LEAVING! CHEAP AZZ LERNERZ!"

Then, "CHEAP LERNERS TRADE OUR CLOSER FOR STUPID CATCHING PROSPECT"

Then, "LERNERZ WONT PONY UP FOR CARL CRAWFORD WTFFFF!"

Then, "WHY LERNERZ LET DESMOND KEEP PLAYING; SIGN REYEZZZZZZ!" (2.7 WAR to 1.4 WAR)

Then, "CHEAP LERNERZ RATHER PAY EDWIN JACKSON ONE YEAR THAN AWEZOME MARK BUERHLE 5 YEARS!" (1.3 to 1.3)

They've resigned the right players, made insightful trades, given the right guys long leashes, etc.
:lmao:

:worship:

I'll admit that is an over simplified argument, but great post

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'll admit that is an over simplified argument, but great post

I didn't realize the season had ended and Desmond had won the GG and SS for NL SS.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I didn't realize the season had ended and Desmond had won the GG and SS for NL SS.

Perhaps, but Jose Reyes sure as crap ain't either.  And I was one who wanted them to sign Reyes.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
OK - but can we please stop bellyaching over what occurred before 2010.  That's so old news that the whiners are coming accross like they have a ax to grind.

I'll stop bringing it up when the LANC crowd stop acting like it never happened or was irrelevant...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Maybe JZ is unwilling to give the team a couple of options on the back end, who knows? If he was willing to sign a 5/$35 that turned into a 7/$60 or something like that with a couple team options on the backend, the Nats would be fools to turn it down. But we don't know that's the case.

Sure, but Occam's Razor says they haven't made an offer.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Perhaps, but Jose Reyes sure as crap ain't either.  And I was one who wanted them to sign Reyes.

Let's revisit this in late September.

Offline hammondsnats

I'll stop bringing it up when the LANC crowd stop acting like it never happened or was irrelevant...

+1,0000000000000000000000000

Offline HalfSmokes

Nope team sprung into existence in 2010- everything else was just dileberately laying the ground work- Bowden is the greatest GM ever because he designed a team specifically to ensure we drafted Strasburg and Harper

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Wow, 3 new pages. Figured there was some news.

Sweet argument, doe.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Wow, 3 new pages. Figured there was some news.

Sweet argument, doe.

freak no, just a couple of needledicks arguing against each other over a bunch of crap that doesn't matter.

Offline hammondsnats

freak no, just a couple of needledicks arguing against each other over a bunch of crap that doesn't matter.

needledick you were part of it.

Offline 24 Nats

.....the GMship of Rizzo correlates far more strongly to performance than the ownership of Lerner.....

this is the correct answer.

along with the extraction of snake-oil stan kasten....exposed as an incompetent fraud without cox/schuerholz.....in spite of his/the spin by his toadys' in the fawning local media.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
needledick you were part of it.

No crap bro, you of all people should know I always include myself in any knocks or derogatory comments.  8)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
along with the extraction of snake-oil stan kasten....exposed as an incompetent fraud without cox/schuerholz.....in spite of his/the spin by his toadys' in the fawning local media.

Sanity.

:clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
did a little thread clean up.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
did a little thread clean up.

Unfortunately there are about 3+ pages that need to go to the moribund LAC thread.

Thread is dead because who cares now?    :shrug:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Actually,  I thought it was one of the better "time to give up on the LAC stuff" defenses I've seen in a while.  Not that I'm sold, but less rehashing and more forceful responses, before the ad hominem stuff.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Actually,  I thought it was one of the better "time to give up on the LAC stuff" defenses I've seen in a while.  Not that I'm sold, but less rehashing and more forceful responses, before the ad hominem stuff.

Now the arguement is "well, they USED to be cheap".

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
There's no amount of wallet opening that will give those teams pitchers like Stras, Gio or Zimnn for the next 4-5 years.

They (the Braves, Mets and Phillies) will just carry on in the tried-and-true fashion...at the trade deadline, approach some lower-revenue club that's about to lose a star player to FA, round up a train-load of bench-warmers and minor-leaguers and trade.

It's not a matter of the Lerners being cheap...it's a matter of the other clubs having bigger revenue streams. While, for instance, the Braves can count on their nationwide legion of pathetic tube-addict fans with no connection to Atlanta who used to watch Super Station TBS all the time, and the Phillies are still selling out CBP nightly, Angelos is still stealing the Nats' telly revenue. Going up against such clubs is somewhat like the old saying about 'bringing a knife to a gun-fight'.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
According to Loverro the Nats are bidding to get the ASG in 2015 and the Os are in the running for 2016, since MLB won't likely award the game to the two cities in consecutive years it's likely an either/or situation with the loser waiting several more years.

Offline OldChelsea

According to Loverro the Nats are bidding to get the ASG in 2015 and the Os are in the running for 2016, since MLB won't likely award the game to the two cities in consecutive years it's likely an either/or situation with the loser waiting several more years.

I tend to lean more toward 2017 for the earliest possible Nats Park ASG - I recall reading somewhere (can't remember where exactly) that the Marlins had been all but promised the 2015 ASG if their new ground was finished on time, which it of course is. And 2019 may be a more realistic year since there could be carping from the Central and Western division clubs about the ASG going to an East club three consecutive times (Petco Park, for instance, hasn't gotten one yet, and neither has Great American Ballpark*; there also is some movement for Wrigley getting the 2014 ASG to celebrate its  centennial, and oddly Dodger Stadium hasn't hosted it since 1980).

Baltimore last hosted the ASG in 1993, so they're about due - maybe as a consolation prize for Angelos if he is ultimately divested of the DC part of MASN?

*and they won't get it either as long as one Peter Edward Rose remains alive (or at least continues to be officially proscribed)

Offline HalfSmokes

Quote from: OldChelsea

Baltimore last hosted the ASG in 1993, so they're about due - maybe as a consolation prize for Angelos if he is ultimately divested of the DC part of MASN?

wouldn't they be 'due' in 2023?

Offline OldChelsea

wouldn't they be 'due' in 2023?

In hard theory, yes, but the ASG's aren't awarded in strict rotation (see earlier item about Dodger Stadium last hosting it in 1980 - and the Mets next year will host it for the first time since 1964).

Offline HalfSmokes

It doesn't seem like a post industrial crap hole like charm city should be in heavy rotation- maybe 2043?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Quote from: dcrtv.com
MASN Talks Snag On Nats & Orioles TV Rights Fee Hike - 7/9 - The latest July 1 deadline has come and gone and still no official word about negotiations between the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network and a big TV rights payment hike for the Washington Nationals. Tim Richardson at pressboxonline.com tells us that a hurdle in the talks remains a parity clause in MASN's contract stating that the Baltimore Orioles must receive the same amount in rights fees as the Nationals. Therefore, if the Nationals are awarded a new deal worth $100 million per year, the Orioles also would receive $100 million annually. Baltimore-based MASN was not in a position to support such figures, because of its economic limits based on its total revenue, Richardson adds. A decision from the specially-appointed Major League Baseball committee is expected within the next week. Industry sources say it's unclear as to which direction the committee is leaning, but agree that the fees paid for increasing media rights deals will eventually find their way to the bills of cable and satellite subscribers, according to Richardson.....