Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203539 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Route 1. I95 wasn't built yet. That would have been a terrible drive.

The BW Parkway was opened in 1954

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
allowing you to take the Gladys Spellman up to Thurgood Marshall for a flight? The folks at Alleghany must have been really happy.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
allowing you to take the Gladys Spellman up to Thurgood Marshall for a flight? The folks at Alleghany must have been really happy.

The construction method used to build that parkway was a huge fail. They laid slabs of poured concrete instead of pouring it as they built it as is the traditional way. So the result years later was a buckled highway with each slab a different height than the previous. It was a painful journey as the car slammed into the next slab.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Interesting. I wasn't in the area until 1979.

Offline Senatorswin

I was a huge Senators fan as a kid. When they left in "71" I eventually became a big time Orioles fan. Then when Angelos kept trying to block a team coming to  DC I came to despise the O's. I wish I could root for both so I'd have a national league team and American league team but I just can't do it.

Offline Five Banners

I was a huge Senators fan as a kid. When they left in "71" I eventually became a big time Orioles fan. Then when Angelos kept trying to block a team coming to  DC I came to despise the O's. I wish I could root for both so I'd have a national league team and American league team but I just can't do it.

His active working against a team -- to the point where it seemed he spent more focus on that than his own team -- turned indifference to revulsion.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
The construction method used to build that parkway was a huge fail. They laid slabs of poured concrete instead of pouring it as they built it as is the traditional way. So the result years later was a buckled highway with each slab a different height than the previous. It was a painful journey as the car slammed into the next slab.

It was a bumpy, noisy ride for sure. 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Offline Count Walewski

This is a great example of how you don't have to win a lawsuit to "win" a lawsuit.

Offline Five Banners

This is a great example of how you don't have to win a lawsuit to "win" a lawsuit.

It helps when one of the parties had a hand in creating looks like a massively inequitable situation from the start

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
So, the MLB just approved the change in ownership control of the Orioles from Peter Angelos to John Angelos.

That would have been a good time to resolve this dispute.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-angelos-named-control-person-20201103-hc24jajfrrcxvefk2jqdopfeoi-story.html

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
So, the MLB just approved the change in ownership control of the Orioles from Peter Angelos to John Angelos.

That would have been a good time to resolve this dispute.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-angelos-named-control-person-20201103-hc24jajfrrcxvefk2jqdopfeoi-story.html
MLB already did

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
MLB already did

Really?  Can you give me the short version?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
freak DC

Offline Natsinpwc

The Nats won but they lost.

Offline hotshot

But society was very different then.  The idea of driving between Balt & DC was considered a chore - not just something to do for fun.
The non-support of Baltimore fans for all teams named Washington had less to do with the drive than the fact that DC was considered a "white collar" area that looked down on "blue collar" Baltimore. A snobbish expression at the time was that "Baltimore is Washington's 'Brooklyn."

Another issue that rankled was that maps used by national weathermen often just showed DC- Philly-NYC-Boston, dismissing Bmore as not worthy of major city status.

And, yes, things have changed a lot in 50 years+. Much of Baltimore's blue collar industry no longer exists, to name one big thing. 

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I supported the original and expansion Senators. In baseball's hiatus from DC, I took my kids to Memorial Stadium a handful of times. Never could get into supporting the O's though. Always rooted for their opponent. It's a Baltimore-DC thing.

Absolutely the same here. When my kids were old enough, I took them to Met games and Yankee games, and cheered for Baltimore losses.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Interesting history. Growing up in the 80s and 90s, I felt the disdain from the Baltimore side. It was Angelos and Orioles fans claiming that we weren't big enough without Baltimore to be considered a market at all.

Went to Memorial and Camden as a kid. Never hated the Orioles, never adopted them either. I'd probably still be a friendly follower of the Orioles if Angelos had acted with more class.

Offline 1995hoo

I was born after the Senators left. I tried to get into watching the Orioles but never really did. Nothing personal against them, it was just hard to get into it since I couldn't really attend games, seeing as how as a kid I was dependent on my parents to be willing to take us to a game and they might have agreed to do that maybe once a year (plus Dad was not big on attending baseball games).

Last time I went to a game at Camden Yards was when the Nats were playing there maybe ten years ago. The crowd hostility towards anyone wearing Nats stuff was obvious and was similar to the way the trailer-trash aspect of the College Park football crowd acts—people getting in your face, screaming "Nats suck," etc. (as an aside, it's unclear why sports fans in Maryland think constantly saying "you suck" somehow makes them superior to you). Of course, they then didn't know what to say when I replied, "I guess Baltimore fans are the experts on bad baseball." I also found it amusing, and rather pathetic, how bitter some of them are in saying the Orioles should be DC's team, when many Baltimore folks pined for football and would never have accepted the Redskins as Baltimore's team. (Of course, I do recognize some of the fundamental differences between a football team that plays eight regular-season home games a year, almost all on weekends, and a baseball team that plays 81 regular-season home games a year, most of them on weeknights.)

But the way I see it is, Angelos made his stupid comment about there being no real baseball fans in DC, so I'm quite happy not to give him any of my ticket or concession stand money.

Offline welch

When the Browns were bought and were moved to Baltimore, my dad explained that Baltimore was a bush-league town with bush-league fans. I remember that Baltimore fans used to pull out white handkerchiefs (yes, Baltimore fans had them) when an opposing pitcher was taken out. Baltimore fans called them "crying towels".

Yes, Clark Griffith allowed the Hoffbergers to put the Browns in Nats' territory. However, Griff got them back. He traded Gil Coan to Baltimore for the 1948 Rookie of the Year, who had been one of Bill Veeck's favorites. An outfielder with a bad shoulder, a guy named Roy Sievers. Home run champ, 1957, Washington's first power-hitter since Goose Gosselin.

Offline Five Banners

When the Browns were bought and were moved to Baltimore, my dad explained that Baltimore was a bush-league town with bush-league fans. I remember that Baltimore fans used to pull out white handkerchiefs (yes, Baltimore fans had them) when an opposing pitcher was taken out. Baltimore fans called them "crying towels".

Yes, Clark Griffith allowed the Hoffbergers to put the Browns in Nats' territory. However, Griff got them back. He traded Gil Coan to Baltimore for the 1948 Rookie of the Year, who had been one of Bill Veeck's favorites. An outfielder with a bad shoulder, a guy named Roy Sievers. Home run champ, 1957, Washington's first power-hitter since Goose Gossage.

Guessing Goose Goslin is the guy

Offline welch

Guessing Goose Goslin is the guy

Corrected. Called "typing too fast".

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Verizon issuing refunds due to regional sports networks not being able to broadcast games due to the pandemic:

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/announcements/regional-sports-network-refund

Offline welch

For some context: DC in the 1950s and earlier was middle-class / lower middle class town when most people worked civil service jobs for the US government. The Washington Post ran a regular column by Bill Gold called "The District Line", which talked about which agency was hiring and GS-this or that. There were no rich people since there was no industry and, therefore no big deal owners. (People who did not work civil service, like my family, worked for PEPCO or C&P Telephone, or Capital / DC Transit.

Baltimore had blue collar workers, like DC, but also had owners of sizable companies. That was the beer people, the Hoffbergers. DC's only business, to repeat, was the Federal Government, and no government worker commanded the money that a Baltimore millionaire did.

That must have lasted into the 1980s. My old company, GE Information Services, moved to Bethesda because management found that there were more computer programmers around Washington than anyplace else. They gathered to work for the government, and our big boss, Warner Sinback, stunned senior GE management when he showed that DC was a higher-tech place than Phoenix, where the entire computer division had been.

It took a while, but other tech companies saw the same thing that Sinback and GE saw.

That is, it seems to me that Baltimore is envious of the advantage their city once had. So be it. Maybe the Orioles should move back to St Louis. "Browns, come home!"