Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 212221 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
It seems like The Os and MASN are just prolonging the inevitable. This will get settled, and Angelos will ahve to write a very big check.
well, he did stretch the thing out to impact the Nats cash flow all the way through the JZ/Desi era.

Offline R-Zim#11

well, he did stretch the thing out to impact the Nats cash flow all the way through the JZ/Desi era.

I wonder if the Nats will have recourse to regain lost revenues--considering there is another reset coming up in 2017, I think.

Online HalfSmokes

I wonder what the interest rate on that money is- certainly something more than zero- maybe the lerners just view it as a nice bond that will eventually be cashed out to pay scherzer :shrug:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
In the meantime, should we all boycott watching MASN ?

Only to watch the Nats. The rest of the time that channel is nonexistent.

Offline whytev

Get MLB.TV or Extra Innings on your cable plan and watch the other teams broadcast?

That's actually a pretty good idea.

Offline Ray D

Boycotts don't accomplish anything unless the entity being boycotted is affected; they have to lose money as a result of the boycott for it to be meaningful. So the only way that boycotting MASN is meaningful is if you don't pay for it.  But with these bundled packages, that's impossible, if you're going to get the game from another cable network.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Boycotts don't accomplish anything unless the entity being boycotted is affected; they have to lose money as a result of the boycott for it to be meaningful. So the only way that boycotting MASN is meaningful is if you don't pay for it.  But with these bundled packages, that's impossible, if you're going to get the game from another cable network.

Boycott the sponsors.

Offline Natsinpwc

Boycott the sponsors.
I don't go to any Orioles games.  :)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
With Charlie and Dave doing Nats radio broadcasts of outstanding quality on clear FM radio, who needs MASN and the Angelos shills who work for it? I've stuck 100% with the radio since day one and don't believe I've missed a thing.

Offline R-Zim#11

With Charlie and Dave doing Nats radio broadcasts of outstanding quality on clear FM radio, who needs MASN and the Angelos shills who work for it? I've stuck 100% with the radio since day one and don't believe I've missed a thing.

FP is highly entertaining. I really like his insights as well--I am really looking forward to his Dusty Baker stories.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
You missed Debbi Taylor's cutting commentary on the BBQ options at Shea

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Yes. I read the finding...which was surprisingly easy to follow. Clear.

and...back to 2012. Judge suggested that the teams find a neutral arbitrator. Should take a bit of time for Angelos and the Lerners to agree...
MLB should fix the process for selecting the membership of the RSDC (the committee that decided the TV Revenue adjustment), and state that the members of the RSDC should not be division members of the teams in dispute. It'd be more transparent if it was the Astros, Twins and Rockies for this case.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
back to arbitration (unless the nats appeal). Everything substantive about the award withstood scrutiny - angelos won because the Nats and MLB have the same law firm. 
Not only the same law firm, but the 4 attorneys that represented the Nats, worked on 27 of the 30 most recent Proskauer/MLB cases.

One of things that the judge hinted at, was, if they had chose 4 other attorneys, who hadn't worked nearly ALL of the MLB cases, that could have satisfied the judge on the impartiality issue.

One of the other things In there that seemed strange, was that the Orioles/MASN kept saying that Proskauer was biased, and MLB said that Proskauer was not, but stated that MASN would not be limited in using that as a future objection.

Offline nfotiu

It seems like The Os and MASN are just prolonging the inevitable. This will get settled, and Angelos will ahve to write a very big check.
Angelos may be trying to wait out the RSN bubble, which is probably getting ready to pop or at least start significantly leak soon.  TW losing 100 million/year on the Dodgers deal, and ESPN suddenly in trouble with declining subscriber revenue are a couple pretty ominous signs for the sports rights market.  I'd expect any other teams coming up for rights renewal in the next couple years won't get nearly the lucrative deals that have happened over the last couple years.

Offline Natsinpwc

Angelos may be trying to wait out the RSN bubble, which is probably getting ready to pop or at least start significantly leak soon.  TW losing 100 million/year on the Dodgers deal, and ESPN suddenly in trouble with declining subscriber revenue are a couple pretty ominous signs for the sports rights market.  I'd expect any other teams coming up for rights renewal in the next couple years won't get nearly the lucrative deals that have happened over the last couple years.
I think he's stalling in hopes of finding a way to still be in charge of the Orioles (and MASN) once he passes away.

Offline DPMOmaha

I like being able to watch the games. Now that technology has made that super easy and quite affordable, you are able to watch every pitch of every game. With MLB.TV, you can overlay C&D and get the pretty pictures, it's what I did most games and it was awesome. Best of both worlds.

Offline Natsinpwc

I like being able to watch the games. Now that technology has made that super easy and quite affordable, you are able to watch every pitch of every game. With MLB.TV, you can overlay C&D and get the pretty pictures, it's what I did most games and it was awesome. Best of both worlds.
If you're in the DMV the games are blacked out here on MLB.

Offline DPMOmaha

If you're in the DMV the games are blacked out here on MLB.
That blows.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
That blows.

(1) Ah, then "just" move to NYC. Get MASN plus the Nets / Mets games. I for sure will watch the first Mets game. It's in KC...the Royals will raise the World Series flag.

(2) If RSN's fade, won;t MASN still owe the Nats back money, money for the payments the Orioles would not allow?

NYC RSN's: YES carries Yankee games, SNY carries the Mets, and MSG (i think) still carries the Rangers and Knicks. Islanders and Nets are hard to find. A single team RSN does not seem viable,

Offline dshawg77

It's funny because Angelos won't spend that $. Except for Loria, worst owner in MLB.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
there's now a book about the MASN saga:

http://www.lawyerball.com/

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Barely reported, but the Nats have appealed the judge's decision to throw out the arbiter's ruling. So now both sides have appealed with one year left before the second five year reset point.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Barely reported, but the Nats have appealed the judge's decision to throw out the arbiter's ruling. So now both sides have appealed with one year left before the second five year reset point.

This seems nuts. Just get another set of lawyers for the arbitration and collect the money. Do we have a lawyer or two who could explain?