Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 171551 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2925: May 08, 2020, 10:33:07 PM »
Watched Lincoln Lawyer tonight. Fantastic movie.

Offline imref

« Reply #2926: May 09, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »
Impractical Jokers movie was hilarious if you are a fan of the show.

Offline imref

« Reply #2927: June 19, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »
Jaws turns 45 this weekend.  Geez.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2928: June 19, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »
Jaws turns 45 this weekend.  Geez.
Nah. He’s 69

Offline imref

Offline imref

« Reply #2930: June 27, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »
Watched Just Mercy tonight. Fantastic, especially in light of current events. Highly recommended.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #2931: June 29, 2020, 07:31:29 AM »
Watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie for the first time in well over a decade yesterday. I had forgotten how long it is; I remember that the two sequels are overly long, but the first one is too. There are certainly some fun parts to it, but quite honestly, it’s largely dull as hell when Johnny Depp isn’t on screen. It’s kinda remarkable to think back on what a cultural phenomenon the first three movies were. A series of pirates movies was a huge deal in, of all times, the mid-2000s. Seems very improbable.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2932: June 29, 2020, 07:41:31 AM »
Watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie for the first time in well over a decade yesterday. I had forgotten how long it is; I remember that the two sequels are overly long, but the first one is too. There are certainly some fun parts to it, but quite honestly, it’s largely dull as hell when Johnny Depp isn’t on screen. It’s kinda remarkable to think back on what a cultural phenomenon the first three movies were. A series of pirates movies was a huge deal in, of all times, the mid-2000s. Seems very improbable.
Johnny Depp is the only reason to watch that movie. 2003 was the summer of Depp. He was just as good in Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Offline imref

« Reply #2933: July 03, 2020, 09:35:36 AM »
Hamilton on Disney+. Incredible.

Offline imref

« Reply #2934: July 07, 2020, 08:05:11 PM »
Have watched Hamilton twice and will watch again this weekend. Easily the best film/play I’ve ever seen.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2935: July 08, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
I didn't love Hamilton, there I said it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2936: July 08, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
Only good Hamilton was Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton!  That roughing the passer call was worse than any tuck rule! 

Offline imref

« Reply #2937: July 09, 2020, 02:04:33 PM »

did you at least like it? :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2938: July 09, 2020, 02:07:06 PM »

I saw 1776 on broadway in 1972 (ish). I don't think I'd like this new-fangled culturally appropriated version either.  :couch:

Offline imref

« Reply #2939: July 09, 2020, 02:18:46 PM »
I saw 1776 on broadway in 1972 (ish). I don't think I'd like this new-fangled culturally appropriated version either.  :couch:

FWIW, Hamilton takes very few liberties with the actual history. It is a meticulously researched production closely based on Ron Chernow's biographies of Hamilton and Washington. About the biggest creative liberty Miranda took was not noting that Angelic Schuyler was already married when she met Hamilton.  He has received some criticism as well by implying that Hamilton was an abolitionist though Hamilton wasn't outspoken on the subject and traded slaves in St. Croix as well as for relatives (and even Washington).

For me, one of the biggest take-aways is that it does a better job teaching people about the creation of our country than just about anything else I've ever seen.  It will be a staple of history classes for generations.  He also was willing to show the good, and bad, of every one of the major figures covered in the play.  Washington, for example, is treated as a complex figure who humbly discusses his previous failures on the battlefields in the French and Indian War and in the early days of the revolution.

Some do get worked up that the cast is largely of color, but Miranda's goal was to present the history of our country as it was by those who represent what it is today.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2940: July 09, 2020, 02:24:54 PM »
FWIW, Hamilton takes very few liberties with the actual history. It is a meticulously researched production closely based on Ron Chernow's biographies of Hamilton and Washington. About the biggest creative liberty Miranda took was not noting that Angelic Schuyler was already married when she met Hamilton.  He has received some criticism as well by implying that Hamilton was an abolitionist though Hamilton wasn't outspoken on the subject and traded slaves in St. Croix as well as for relatives (and even Washington).

For me, one of the biggest take-aways is that it does a better job teaching people about the creation of our country than just about anything else I've ever seen.  It will be a staple of history classes for generations.  He also was willing to show the good, and bad, of every one of the major figures covered in the play.  Washington, for example, is treated as a complex figure who humbly discusses his previous failures on the battlefields in the French and Indian War and in the early days of the revolution.

Some do get worked up that the cast is largely of color, but Miranda's goal was to present the history of our country as it was by those who represent what it is today.
Why did he choose to make it about Hamilton instead of Washington? 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2941: July 09, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »
to me Hamilton is the more compelling character, you also get to avoid the mythology built up around Washington 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2942: July 09, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
to me Hamilton is the more compelling character, you also get to avoid the mythology built up around Washington
George’s Dad:  George, did you chop down that cherry tree.

George:  Popeye did it.

Offline imref

« Reply #2943: July 09, 2020, 02:38:17 PM »
Why did he choose to make it about Hamilton instead of Washington? 

According to Miranda, he grabbed a copy of Ron Chernow's book to read on vacation. He had written a paper about Hamilton in high school and thought the book would be a big fat book for him to read on the beach.  In reading it he realized the similarities between Hamilton using his mind and writing to overcome his poverty and hip hop stars Miranda idolized.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #2944: July 09, 2020, 02:43:46 PM »
According to Miranda, he grabbed a copy of Ron Chernow's book to read on vacation. He had written a paper about Hamilton in high school and thought the book would be a big fat book for him to read on the beach.  In reading it he realized the similarities between Hamilton using his mind and writing to overcome his poverty and hip hop stars Miranda idolized.
Thanks. I will have to watch it sometime.

Offline imref

« Reply #2945: July 09, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »
Thanks. I will have to watch it sometime.

I've read the Chernow book (all 870 or so pages) as well. The play is the cliff notes. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #2946: July 09, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »

To me, the way Miranda handled the complexities of Washington are one of the highlights of the play.  He's introduced as a savior but then proceeds to sing about all his failings.  The scene in Act II when he tells Hamilton he's not running for a third term, and they proceed to argue and then work on his farewell address (which Hamilton largely wrote) is just perfect (and emotional) storytelling IMHO.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2947: July 09, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
i thought hamilton was great, super amazed at the performing talent of the cast and most of all the writing. writing musicals is so impressive to me. no idea how you do it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2948: July 09, 2020, 03:37:22 PM »
Okay. I'm rethinking it. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #2949: July 09, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »
i thought hamilton was great, super amazed at the performing talent of the cast and most of all the writing. writing musicals is so impressive to me. no idea how you do it.

it took him over a year to write the first song, and six years to write the whole thing.  The guy is an absolute genius (he was writing the music to Moana while doing Hamilton 8 times a week too).