Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 173436 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2900: December 01, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »
My brother started The Irishman this AM.  It is 3.5 hours long.  I watched about an hour and half.  It is amazing.

DeNiro was on Colbert, and he explained that Scorcese had Pesci and DeNiro go through scenes from Goodfellas so they could cue in the CGI to restore they could de-age them via CGI for the scenes over a 30 year period.  DeNiro looks a little stiff when he walks, but otherwise it is not noticeable.  Pacino has a good Hoffa, too.  apparently, Scorcese has had this one in the works for 15 or so years, and initially they were going to cast other actors as the younger major characters until they hit on the de-aging.

FBI agents, prosecutors, reporters, and criminals who knew Frank Sheeran have said Sheeran’s confession—on which Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman is based—lacks credibility... When investigative reporter Dan Moldea bumped into De Niro in 2014, he warned the actor about adapting such a flimsy account of Hoffa’s death for the screen. “I told him, ‘Bob, you’re being conned...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/the-irishman-true-story-frank-sheeran

This includes DNA evidence to prove that Sheeran didn't do it.
 :pimp:
Scorsese is apparently now incapable of making a film with a running time under 2 hours. He should just go ahead and include a 12 minute scene smelling his own farts.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2901: December 01, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »
FBI agents, prosecutors, reporters, and criminals who knew Frank Sheeran have said Sheeran’s confession—on which Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman is based—lacks credibility... When investigative reporter Dan Moldea bumped into De Niro in 2014, he warned the actor about adapting such a flimsy account of Hoffa’s death for the screen. “I told him, ‘Bob, you’re being conned...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/the-irishman-true-story-frank-sheeran

This includes DNA evidence to prove that Sheeran didn't do it.
 :pimp:
Scorsese is apparently now incapable of making a film with a running time under 2 hours. He should just go ahead and include a 12 minute scene smelling his own farts.

:shrug: Mario Puzo is not exactly based in fact either- the movies are still great

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2902: December 01, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
There's an interesting cross-over between the Oliver Stone movie JFK and The Irishman.  David Ferrie is shown in The Irishman, he was played by Joe Pesci in JFK.

I have no issues with the run time of The Irishman, it's a long complex story.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2903: December 03, 2019, 08:49:54 AM »
Studio Ghibli just announced their movies will be available digitally later this month :clap:

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
« Reply #2904: December 03, 2019, 09:34:19 AM »
The Irishman was good but just way way WAY too long. Too much dragging on scenes that don't matter. And you can tell some of De Niro's acting has gone the way of the wind. Hard to believe Pesci looks like that now. Even at 76 I cant tell if that was make up or just how he is.

The Irishman or Ford v. Ferrari is the top pick for 2019 Boomer film of the year.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2905: December 03, 2019, 10:57:48 AM »
The Irishman was good but just way way WAY too long. Too much dragging on scenes that don't matter. And you can tell some of De Niro's acting has gone the way of the wind. Hard to believe Pesci looks like that now. Even at 76 I cant tell if that was make up or just how he is.

The Irishman or Ford v. Ferrari is the top pick for 2019 Boomer film of the year.
it could have been the CGI aging / deaging him.  Funny you said too long:  I saw the first hour/ hour and a half, posted how great it was, but the last 2 hours did drag.  I thought Pacino was mostly very good, but it just took to damn long to get to his final scene, and the aftermath was mostly worthless other than the scenes with Sheerans kids.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2906: December 03, 2019, 11:58:43 AM »
The Irishman was good but just way way WAY too long. Too much dragging on scenes that don't matter...
...Funny you said too long:  I saw the first hour/ hour and a half, posted how great it was, but the last 2 hours did drag.  I thought Pacino was mostly very good, but it just took to damn long to get to his final scene, and the aftermath was mostly worthless other than the scenes with Sheerans kids.

Martin Sorcese has gotten too full of himself as he's aged. He cannot edit out unneeded junk.

Taxi Driver (1976) 1 hour and 53 minutes
Raging Bull (1980) 2 hours and 9 minutes
After Hours (1985, a good dark comedy) 1 hour and 37 minutes
Good Fellas (1990) 2 hours and 25 minutes
Gangs of New York (2002) 2 hours and 47 minutes.
The Departed (2006) 2 hours and 36 minutes.
The Irishman (2019 Netflix) 3 hours and 29 minutes

Gangs of New York could have easily had 20-30 minutes of unnecessary padding cut out. Scorcese said he was interested in certain historical incidents. He should have just made a separate 90-minute film on that, instead of dragging the film out.

With the basic premise of The Irishman fully debunked by DNA evidence, Scorcese should have changed the names of historical characters to fictional ones.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2907: December 03, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »
Studio Ghibli just announced their movies will be available digitally later this month :clap:

Did they say where? Cause that'd be something I would definitely love to have as an option.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2908: December 03, 2019, 08:41:29 PM »
Let my daughter pick a movie Saturday, Jo Jo Rabbit.  Decent, not in my wheelhouse but some decent footage of Americans overrunning Nazis in final war street fights.

Sunday was Midway - had just finished a great book on the battle so it was fun to see it on screen.  Very poor quality acting generally, the computer generated animation has a ways to go before it's realistic but they make progress.  I enjoyed it well enough, but am much more looking forward to 1917, which is coming soon and getting way better reviews.  I saw the preview and it looks right, very "Saving Private Ryan" like though set in WWI obviously.

Then at Anthem last night, the 2019 World Series documentary, best of the lot.  Best movie of 2019!    :whip: :clap: :thumbs: :woop: :nervous: :cheers: :worship: :minigunz: :babyshark:         :w:

Offline GataNats

« Reply #2909: December 04, 2019, 12:07:33 AM »
Wasn’t a single wasted minute in The Departed

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2910: December 07, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
Has anyone seen Richard Jewell?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2911: December 08, 2019, 02:25:14 PM »

I don’t think it comes out until this Friday but I am definitely going to see it. 

Saw Knives Out, didn’t love it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2912: December 08, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »

why? You with the FBI?

Online imref

« Reply #2913: December 30, 2019, 12:33:01 AM »
Saw knives out tonight. Fantastic movie.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #2914: December 30, 2019, 11:13:27 AM »
1917.  WWI, that was *real* soldiering. ;)

Online imref

« Reply #2915: December 30, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
1917.  WWI, that was *real* soldiering. ;)

Did you see it?  Have you seen They Shall Not Grow Old?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #2916: December 30, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
Did you see it?  Have you seen They Shall Not Grow Old?

No, not yet.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #2917: December 30, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
They Shall Not Grow Old is definitely worth seeing. Although I am a World War I historian, so I am biased. I have not yet seen 1917, though.

Movies set in World War I have a disappointing track record. I suppose there are a lot of bad World War II movies as well, but at least the quantity of World War II movies means it is easier to find quality ones and avoid the bad ones. The American Revolution also seems to lack quality film treatments.

Online imref

« Reply #2918: December 30, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
They Shall Not Grow Old is definitely worth seeing. Although I am a World War I historian, so I am biased. I have not yet seen 1917, though.

Movies set in World War I have a disappointing track record. I suppose there are a lot of bad World War II movies as well, but at least the quantity of World War II movies means it is easier to find quality ones and avoid the bad ones. The American Revolution also seems to lack quality film treatments.

They showed a 1917 preview in the theater last night and it was moving.  I can't wait to see it. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #2919: January 04, 2020, 02:31:34 PM »
Saw Knives Out. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Nothing heavy or pretentious - just a ripping good yarn. Lots of fun and it looks like the actors had a ball doing it.

Online imref

« Reply #2920: January 04, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »
Saw Knives Out. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Nothing heavy or pretentious - just a ripping good yarn. Lots of fun and it looks like the actors had a ball doing it.

:thumbs:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2921: January 31, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
American Made with Tom Cruise just started on FX. Love that movie.

Online imref

« Reply #2922: April 11, 2020, 10:01:54 PM »
Greatest Showman on FXM

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2923: April 15, 2020, 01:00:49 PM »
Had hoped to catch 1917 at Udvar Hazy's mega screen but had to settle for a Fios rental.  Solidly good.   Really enjoyed the cinematography.

Online imref

« Reply #2924: April 17, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »