Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 171583 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2850: November 03, 2019, 07:34:54 PM »
Saw this the other night on Netflix. About the music and the Laurel Canyon scene in LA during the Sixties. Great stuff.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/echo_in_the_canyon

Offline awbb

« Reply #2851: November 04, 2019, 02:27:14 PM »
I’m getting hyped for Ford v Ferrari.

My grandfather was a passing acquaintance of Ken Miles before he emigrated. My Dad claims he met him too but can’t remember anything about it!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Online Slateman

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2854: November 11, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
https://cosmicbook.news/george-lucas-saving-star-wars-test-screenings-disaster
Not a good sign for Star Wars

Thanks for saving me caring about how it all turns out (not sarcasm) :thumbs:

Offline GataNats

« Reply #2855: November 12, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »
There hasn’t been a SW movie worth seeing since RotJ

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2856: November 12, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
There hasn’t been a SW movie worth seeing since RotJ
Rogue 1 was pretty good.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2857: November 12, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
Rogue 1 was pretty good.
And RotJ was meh.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2858: November 20, 2019, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2859: November 20, 2019, 11:29:31 AM »
just got told I'm going to see Mr. Rogers this weekend.  Gotta figure out how to get the wife to go with me to Frozen 2 as well.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2860: November 20, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Ford vs. Ferrari this weekend. I was hoping to see Midway but it appears that the lady friend prefers vrooms over booms.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #2861: November 20, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
Looking forward to seeing Ford vs. Ferrari this weekend. I was hoping to see Midway but it appears that the lady friend prefers vrooms over booms.

Will probably also see Ford vs. Ferrari.  Had thought about seeing Midway.  I really like the '70s version, but I think the newer one is supposed to be underwhelming.  Probably a PPV at some point. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #2862: November 20, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »
Saw “Harriet” this weekend. Although I knew about her, most pictures I had seen were of her as an older woman. This movie brought her to life as a young vibrant woman determined to free as many people as she could. It gave a glimpse of what life was like during slavery, and made me appreciate all the more Tubman’s courage and ingenuity in not only escaping the first time, but what it must have taken to return to Maryland repeatedly to free others. It was made clear what dire consequences awaited her if she were caught and I was on the edge of my seat every time she led yet another group to safety. The movie also touches on her later life as a Union spy during the a Civil War, a Union army raid she led during that war, and her later work in the women’s suffrage movement.

The movie did take some dramatic license with the facts.  There were composite characters and some scenes that never actually happened.  There was also some heavy-handed directorial choices - at one point she literally rides off into the sunset on a white horse. But all in all it was a good movie that I can highly recommend.

If you’re interested in Harriet Tubman, take a day trip and check out the Harriet Tubman and Underground Railroad National Historical Park (run by NPS) near the Blackwater Refuge outside Cambridge, and also the privately run Harriet Tubman Museum and Educational Center in Cambridge. I’ve been to both and learned a lot about this remarkable woman.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2863: November 20, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »
Saw “Harriet” this weekend. Although I knew about her, most pictures I had seen were of her as an older woman. This movie brought her to life as a young vibrant woman determined to free as many people as she could. It gave a glimpse of what life was like during slavery, and made me appreciate all the more Tubman’s courage and ingenuity in not only escaping the first time, but what it must have taken to return to Maryland repeatedly to free others. It was made clear what dire consequences awaited her if she were caught and I was on the edge of my seat every time she led yet another group to safety. The movie also touches on her later life as a Union spy during the a Civil War, a Union army raid she led during that war, and her later work in the women’s suffrage movement.

The movie did take some dramatic license with the facts.  There were composite characters and some scenes that never actually happened.  There was also some heavy-handed directorial choices - at one point she literally rides off into the sunset on a white horse. But all in all it was a good movie that I can highly recommend.

If you’re interested in Harriet Tubman, take a day trip and check out the Harriet Tubman and Underground Railroad National Historical Park (run by NPS) near the Blackwater Refuge outside Cambridge, and also the privately run Harriet Tubman Museum and Educational Center in Cambridge. I’ve been to both and learned a lot about this remarkable woman.

As an added bonus, the idiot Studio Exec who wanted to cast Julia Roberts as Tubman was just laughed out of the room.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2864: November 20, 2019, 03:20:14 PM »
Will probably also see Ford vs. Ferrari.  Had thought about seeing Midway.  I really like the '70s version, but I think the newer one is supposed to be underwhelming.  Probably a PPV at some point. 

we visited the Ferrari museum in Modena last year, they showed a movie that touched a bit on Ferrari vs Ford, but I look forward to seeing this film.

Offline wj73

« Reply #2865: November 20, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
As an added bonus, the idiot Studio Exec who wanted to cast Julia Roberts as Tubman was just laughed out of the room.

OMG. I hadn’t heard this. I thought you were joking but then I looked it up and found out that really happened.   :smh:

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2866: November 20, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »

OMG. I hadn’t heard this. I thought you were joking but then I looked it up and found out that really happened.   :smh:

Yeah, honestly can't remember the last thing I heard that was more tone deaf and out of touch with reality. I'm sure there's something, but man this really takes the cake for stupid.

Online Slateman

« Reply #2867: November 20, 2019, 06:12:39 PM »

How does that even work ...?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #2868: November 20, 2019, 07:07:16 PM »
How does that even work ...?

A desire to make a profit.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #2869: November 21, 2019, 01:19:39 AM »
Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose it is possible he confused her with the other abolitionist named Harriet, Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Here is HBS at age 42, about a year after Uncle Tom's Cabin was published: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Alanson_Fisher_-_Harriet_Beecher_Stowe_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Offline GataNats

« Reply #2870: November 21, 2019, 01:45:59 AM »

No worse than casting Idris Elba(who I love) as Roland of Gilead in The Dark Tower

Online Slateman

« Reply #2871: November 21, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
No worse than casting Idris Elba(who I love) as Roland of Gilead in The Dark Tower
No, it's way worse. That's a made up character. Harriet Tubman was not only a real person, but also being black is sort of essential to her.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2872: November 21, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
No, it's way worse. That's a made up character. Harriet Tubman was not only a real person, but also being black is sort of essential to her.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #2873: November 21, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Saw a trailer. The dog is CGI. It's... well, it's awful.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2874: November 21, 2019, 12:09:39 PM »
Saw a trailer. The dog is CGI. It's... well, it's awful.

Hard to make a dog act, and even harder without having all the humane people up your ass with an army of lawyers.  I can't imagine a movie like "White Fang (1991)" gets made today.

All of that said, CGI still has a long way to go.  There's also the matter of heavy anthropomorphizing by a bunch of writers and animators who have no idea how a real dog behaves.  Not to mention Harrison Ford probably acting with a cardboard cutout or some weirdo in a spandex suit.