Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 174311 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2725: November 07, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
Free Solo is a really good movie with the last 15 minutes being just absolutely astounding, amazing, gasp inducing just crazy crazy good.

Not a single chance I will watch this.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2726: November 07, 2018, 05:12:48 PM »
I see an Oscar nomination in Rami Malek's future. The boy's hitting his stride, especially after nabbing an Emmy for Mr. Robot.

He was absolutely incredible-forget just nomination that guy needs to flat out win every award there is to win.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2727: November 07, 2018, 05:14:37 PM »
Not a single chance I will watch this.

:lol: it is INTENSE, especially the last 15 minutes I mean you know what happens and I was still breathless at times :panic:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2728: November 07, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
:lol: it is INTENSE, especially the last 15 minutes I mean you know what happens and I was still breathless at times :panic:

You liked "American Pie".     :poke:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2729: November 07, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
You liked "American Pie".     :poke:

you betcha! For singing along in the car that's a good one :mg:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2730: November 07, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »
you betcha! For singing along in the car that's a good one :mg:

Chevrolet?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2731: November 07, 2018, 05:28:13 PM »
Chevrolet?

Just the mention of that makes me think of those awful commercials and they keep making more :bang:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2732: November 07, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
Just the mention of that makes me think of those awful commercials and they keep making more :bang:

Drove my Acura to the levee
And watched the poor people fish.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2733: November 07, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
Drove my Acura to the levee
And watched the poor people fish.

:spit:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #2735: November 07, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »
He was absolutely incredible-forget just nomination that guy needs to flat out win every award there is to win.

You should watch him in "Mr. Robot."

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2736: November 10, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
Saw “A Star is Born” today.  Wow. Amazing movie.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #2737: November 10, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
Saw it 40 years ago. Terrible.  :D

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2738: November 10, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
Saw it 40 years ago. Terrible.  :D

Haven't seen any of the four releases.   

Offline imref

« Reply #2739: November 10, 2018, 06:18:54 PM »
Haven't seen any of the four releases.   

From what I read, this was much more true to the 1937 original.  I didn't see the Streisand-Kristofferson version but the few reviews of the new one I read earlier said the 1976 one was awful.  This move was fantastic on a lot of different levels, and I can't speak much. more about it without ruining it.  I will say the music was incredible.  All the concert scenes in the movie were performed live by Gaga and Cooper.

Trailer here:

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #2740: November 10, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »

Great movie. Sad ending :(

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2741: November 10, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
Bohemian Rhapsody was AMAZING!! Go see it, all of you!

Agreed...no IMAX, but wonderful just the same...so well done...

We saw Jeff Dunham onstage on Thursday night; Jerry Seinfeld on stage on Friday night, and Bohemian Rhapsody tonight.  We enjoyed tonight the best of all 3...

Offline wj73

« Reply #2742: November 10, 2018, 09:21:21 PM »

I got dragged out to see it a few weeks ago. I did not enjoy it.  The acting was fantastic- I’m so ignorant of pop culture that I didn’t even know who the female lead was till the closing credits - I just kept thinking that she was a fantastic actress. It was really well-done. The characters were so real, and you just ached for them.  And the songs were great.

But, I had an alcoholic aunt who lived nearby while I was growing up, and I can’t tell you how many birthday parties, Thanksgivings, Christmases, and just regular occasions like Saturday dinners were ruined because of her need to get drunk and be the center of attention. I was mildly nauseous throughout the movie because I’d seen it all before. That scene at the Grammys where he peed on himself and stumbled onstage to ruin her moment brought back too many memories. Then he chooses suicide as the easy way out for him, leaving her to deal with the inevitable guilt of the survivor. He needed to man up and either keep sober or move away. When she visited him at the treatment center she even asked if he was coming home. She recognized that his returning to the same environment could be too triggering, so he had her understanding if he chose to move away. He could have remained supportive and encouraging at a distance, and not risked f-ing up her career like the agent feared.  But no, he had to be the final center of attention by committing suicide.  I guess it was a good realistic movie, because it accurately portrayed life with an addict. I lived it. I don’t need to pay ten bucks to see it. 

Offline imref

« Reply #2743: November 10, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks for your take wj73. It was a very emotional movie. I’m sure it was very tough on anyone who has dealt with those issues.

Offline wj73

« Reply #2744: November 11, 2018, 12:52:51 PM »
Thanks for your take wj73. It was a very emotional movie. I’m sure it was very tough on anyone who has dealt with those issues.

I’d never seen any of the previous versions so I went in cold with no idea of what it was all about.  I guess that’s what makes it a good movie in that it was powerful enough to make me think about stuff I haven’t thought about much in decades. The group I saw it with loved it, and we all used up a lot of Kleenex that day. I suspect it will get a lot of awards.

Offline Panther Modern

« Reply #2745: November 11, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
I saw Bohemian Rhapsody tonight and really enjoyed it: 3.5/5. Rami Malek deserves an Oscar nod. Amazing acting.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2746: November 11, 2018, 09:05:16 PM »
I hated A Star is Born. The more it went in the worse Gaga’s acting got, Bradley was terrific as usual but I felt zero chemistry between the characters and the songs were completely forgettable. I do not understand how anyone felt anything leaving about this movie, even the scene with the dog felt contrived.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2747: November 11, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »
I got dragged out to see it a few weeks ago. I did not enjoy it.  The acting was fantastic- I’m so ignorant of pop culture that I didn’t even know who the female lead was till the closing credits - I just kept thinking that she was a fantastic actress. It was really well-done. The characters were so real, and you just ached for them.  And the songs were great.

But, I had an alcoholic aunt who lived nearby while I was growing up, and I can’t tell you how many birthday parties, Thanksgivings, Christmases, and just regular occasions like Saturday dinners were ruined because of her need to get drunk and be the center of attention. I was mildly nauseous throughout the movie because I’d seen it all before. That scene at the Grammys where he peed on himself and stumbled onstage to ruin her moment brought back too many memories. Then he chooses suicide as the easy way out for him, leaving her to deal with the inevitable guilt of the survivor. He needed to man up and either keep sober or move away. When she visited him at the treatment center she even asked if he was coming home. She recognized that his returning to the same environment could be too triggering, so he had her understanding if he chose to move away. He could have remained supportive and encouraging at a distance, and not risked f-ing up her career like the agent feared.  But no, he had to be the final center of attention by committing suicide.  I guess it was a good realistic movie, because it accurately portrayed life with an addict. I lived it. I don’t need to pay ten bucks to see it. 

Didn’t you find the fact she continued on with her speech while he’s stumbling up to the podium beyond ridiculous??  Anyone used to dealing with an addict would’ve seen that coming a mile away and cut that speech down to a simple “thank you” and gotten the hell offstage.  And why bother with all the ear testing nonsense? I thought that would mean something but nope it was just forgotten about. I really really don’t get this movie, like at all.

Offline imref

« Reply #2748: November 11, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
I hated A Star is Born. The more it went in the worse Gaga’s acting got, Bradley was terrific as usual but I felt zero chemistry between the characters and the songs were completely forgettable. I do not understand how anyone felt anything leaving about this movie, even the scene with the dog felt contrived.

To each their own I guess.  My wife and I had roughly the opposite reaction 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2749: November 11, 2018, 09:23:15 PM »
To each their own I guess.  My wife and I had roughly the opposite reaction 

Clearly everyone in the world did except me and my sister and we’re just really trying to figure out why we both missed all the feels on this one.  I guess nothing will ever compare to hearing Babs belt this out at the end of the ‘70’s version for us