Author Topic: Gio to Nats  (Read 40036 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Gio to Nats
« Reply #425: December 23, 2011, 12:40:25 PM »
If we somehow got Brian Roberts...you would be the worst of the SSS!  :lmao:

and nolan reimold and adam jones and jim johnson and jake arrieta and give daniel cabrera a 6 year/$240 million deal.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #426: December 23, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
and give daniel cabrera a 6 year/$240 million deal.

:rant:

Absolutely not! Thanks goodness we don't have to deal pitchers like Cabrera anymore. We actually have real, major league pitchers now.  :)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #427: December 23, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
So whatever happened to JimBo's claim that the Lerners blocked this trade? They must be pissed Rizzo went ahead and made the trade anyway.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #428: December 23, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »
So whatever happened to JimBo's claim that the Lerners blocked this trade? They must be pissed Rizzo went ahead and made the trade anyway.

According to Ladson it came down to whether they'd include A.J. Cole or Cole Kimball.  Another outlet said, the reason it took so long to get done was the discussion of the last player involved in Tommy Milone vs. another piece (Destin Hood/Eury Perez).

Who knows. 

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #429: December 23, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
I don't buy the Kimball vs Cole thing for obvious reasons.

Interesting about Hood/Perez vs Milone.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #430: December 23, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I don't buy the Kimball vs Cole thing for obvious reasons.

Interesting about Hood/Perez vs Milone.

that's what Ladson had in his article (not just his twitter).  Whether you buy it or not, that's what he has listed.  (not saying he's right/wrong)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #431: December 23, 2011, 01:14:15 PM »
Maybe it was other cole + hood or aj + milone?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #432: December 23, 2011, 01:15:31 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/how-good-is-gio-gonzalez/

Cameron not a huge fan of Gonzalez, but doesn't think it's a terrible trade either.

This was a good article.  Hopefully he's able to iron out his control issues and becomes a true ace.  Even if he doesn't, he should be a solid pitcher for us. 

We did give up less than the Reds gave up for Latos and I think Latos is a more of an injury risk (and I think more of a headcase), so I'm warming up to this trade.

Offline blue911

« Reply #433: December 23, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/how-good-is-gio-gonzalez/

Cameron not a huge fan of Gonzalez, but doesn't think it's a terrible trade either.

Cameron hates him cause he isn't a shortstop.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #434: December 23, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »

Pretty sure that's not what he said.

But don't let the fact that people can change their minds get in the way of your crusade! ;)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #435: December 23, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »
Saw this on an Oakland forum

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #436: December 23, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »

But don't let the fact that people can change their minds get in the way of your crusade! ;)

Really?

Bowden said Lerners holding up trade because moving prospects wasn't part of the plan. A.K.A. cheap labor

Anuthig involving Cole is too much anyways. Hopefully deal gets shut down.

OMG. Dude just called in to Bowden asking about Boswell's column.

Bowden said Lerners holding up Gio deal.

Also said Boswell is getting his info either from Rizzo or someone above him.

Bowden says Lerners are not spending money on big league product.

Says they're waiting a year or two more years to spend.

No. I'm not kidding.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #437: December 23, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »
Really?

Yes, really.  Or can't you read your own quotes?  Hold-ING, hold-ING, hold-ING.

Not even sure what the last quote has to do with anything.  A few years of arbitration negotiation with Gio is a drop in the bucket compared to what Buerhle signed for.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #438: December 23, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »
Chief,

interested in how the traffic was yesterday on the forum with the news?  Did it rank up there as one of the more popular days? 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #439: December 23, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »
Chief,

interested in how the traffic was yesterday on the forum with the news?  Did it rank up there as one of the more popular days? 

Most posts this month.  Second most views.  You can check out the stats for yourself if you want:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?action=stats

(down at the bottom, click to expand years/months)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #440: December 23, 2011, 01:53:08 PM »
Most posts this month.  Second most views.  You can check out the stats for yourself if you want:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?action=stats

(down at the bottom, click to expand years/months)

got ya, just didn't know if there was anything crazy on your end with server-wise and traffic.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #441: December 23, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »

Not even sure what the last quote has to do with anything.  A few years of arbitration negotiation with Gio is a drop in the bucket compared to what Buerhle signed for.

I did have one or seven too many spiced egg nogs last night but as far as I can tell Bowden was clearly saying the Lerners were holding up the deal.

Regardless, you're right about people changing their minds. Just don't think the Lerners are very apt to do it, especially that quickly.

And the last quote came from Linty in the Gio thread - who quoted Bowden on XM talking about Gio.  I thought it was pretty pertinent to the topic.

Again, if not, I blame egg nog.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #442: December 23, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
From Jimbo's column on ESPN.  Clearly Rizzo had some obstacles to overcome.  This whole idea that "the board" has to approve everything is ridiculous. 

Quote from: Jim Bowden
Live arms are always good things, and getting one back with Gonzalez helped Washington GM Mike Rizzo convince his club's board of directors that this was a deal he had to make.

And from what I'm told, that was no easy feat. Word is that more than one member of the board was opposed to making this deal, but you have to give credit to Rizzo for standing up for what he thought was a good deal for his club.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #443: December 23, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
I did have one or seven too many spiced egg nogs last night but as far as I can tell Bowden was clearly saying the Lerners were holding up the deal.

Regardless, you're right about people changing their minds. Just don't think the Lerners are very apt to do it, especially that quickly.

And the last quote came from Linty in the Gio thread - who quoted Bowden on XM talking about Gio.  I thought it was pretty pertinent to the topic.

Again, if not, I blame egg nog.

I don't have a beef with you, Bowden definitely claimed the Lerners were holding things up.  My confusion is with Kevrock seemingly equating that to "Bowden said they blocked the deal" as if it were permanent and irrevocable.  I read it as "they're holding it up while Rizzo explains all the ins and outs to them" aka, meddling, which they've been accused of many times before.

Now I want egg nog....  dammit :lol:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #444: December 23, 2011, 02:08:10 PM »

I don't really understand this response. I'm curious if there was any disagreement at the "board level" or if JimBo was getting bad information. The deal was completed like 80 minutes after he said that IIRC.

I'm not even sure what crusade I would be starting with this one. My post was not anti-Lerner or pro-Lerner. It was just pro-snark.

I don't have a beef with you, Bowden definitely claimed the Lerners were holding things up.  My confusion is with Kevrock seemingly equating that to "Bowden said they blocked the deal" as if it were permanent and irrevocable.  I read it as "they're holding it up while Rizzo explains all the ins and outs to them" aka, meddling, which they've been accused of many times before.

Oh, okay. Well, I guess Linty's quotes could be read that way as well. That's not how I read them yesterday, but it doesn't really matter.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #445: December 23, 2011, 02:09:31 PM »
I don't really understand this response. I'm curious if there was any disagreement at the "board level" or if JimBo was getting bad information. The deal was completed like 80 minutes after he said that IIRC.

I'm not even sure what crusade I would be starting with this one. My post was not anti-Lerner or pro-Lerner. It was just pro-snark.

I explained in the post immediately above.  The crusade bit was a joke since a lot of people here seem to be vehemently opposed to the idea that Bowden could possibly know anything or ever tell the truth.  Wasn't necessarily including you in that group, just casting a wide net :mg:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #446: December 23, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

Seems that Jimbo and Boz were getting the exact same info so it was certainly accurate, at least from the point of view of whoever was the source of the leak.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #447: December 23, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »
I replied immediate above with an edit. :D

I don't really have a problem with JimBo. He's one of the only media people consistently interested in us.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #448: December 23, 2011, 02:12:53 PM »
I replied immediate above with an edit. :D

NO YOU!!! :lol:

I don't really have a problem with JimBo. He's one of the only media people consistently interested in us.

Makes sense for him, since he's sure to know more about the Nats organization than any other.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #449: December 23, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »

With the recent telethon, I'd expect you to be in Rio with no internet connection.   

:poke: