Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 118428 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

If the worst thing they can say about Rizzo is that he is being overprotective of Stras, then I'm ok with that.

If you want worse,  how about he made a decision at a time when the team wasn't expected to compete and throughout the season as the initial assumption started to look wrong,  instead of being creative or flexible,  he further entrenched his position and made an appeal to authority as a justification,  and it just so happens that said authority wasn't actually consulted as this was happening

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
okay, call me stupid but...why would the surgeon be expected to conduct any type of study on recovery, wouldn't that be in the realm of a physical therapist?  He's a surgeon, he wants to cut....cutting fixes everything....

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
okay, call me stupid but...why would the surgeon be expected to conduct any type of study on recovery, wouldn't that be in the realm of a physical therapist?  He's a surgeon, he wants to cut....cutting fixes everything....

To get published?  :shrug:

Offline PC

If you want worse,  how about he made a decision at a time when the team wasn't expected to compete and throughout the season as the initial assumption started to look wrong,  instead of being creative or flexible,  he further entrenched his position and made an appeal to authority as a justification,  and it just so happens that said authority wasn't actually consulted as this was happening

Well, first he said Strasburg was going to be shut down, regardless of where the team was in the standings.  This was said in the spring so it didn't matter that the team was actually starting to win.

Also stated, they didn't want to "muck" around with his schedule because, I don't know why because, but whatever the reason, the stated position was that Strasburg was going to start as close to possible, every fifth day.

And I believe he spoke with Yocum when the surgery was done/during the rehab.  Nothing had changed in the realm of TJ surgery recovery over the last year.  There really was no reason to talk to him again.

I don't know if he was right but he was very consistent.  I can fault him for lots of things but not for doing what he said he was going to do.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Natitude: Where BiS is ok with that

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I'm driving home so I haven't read this latest news yet but I'll be fascinated to find out why Boras seems to be more on top of things than Rizzo.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Just win. Strasburg won't pitch until next season. That's done. Time to root for the team we have. They are good enough.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Nattitude - find a reason to hate on Rizzo and/or the Lerners. 

Nattitude - Nats are conspiring against and taking advantage their fans and/or are too dumb to conspire against and take advantage of their fans.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Yocum says one thing, Boras contradicts him, Rizzo hates answering clown questions, if I'm a Nats beat writer (and thank God I'm not), I'm running straight to Davey for the Nats response.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Quote from: Yocum
"I would like to correct the misimpression generated from today’s L.A. Times article, that I have not been a participant in discussions with the Washington Nationals regarding the recovery strategy for pitcher Stephen Strasburg.  In fact, I have been contacted repeatedly and have had numerous discussions with the Nationals GM Mike Rizzo and the team’s medical personnel, as recently as mid-August.  While the final decision was up to the team, as is standard practice, I was supportive of their decision and am comfortable that my medical advice was responsibly considered."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-strasburg-yocum-nationals-shutdown-20120913,0,5407151.story

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Figures, it read like a leading article. No context for the quotes, didn't make any sense.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Very strange, it appears that someone has "fixed" the problem of Rizzo not speaking with Yocum. The question now is whether Yocum's statement about the lack of medical data still stands.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Figures, it read like a leading article. No context for the quotes, didn't make any sense.

That's how I saw it too.  I'd love to see a transcript of the interview. 

Offline PebbleBall

The question now is whether Yocum's statement about the lack of medical data still stands.

That's been known all along.  In fact, there was a bit of controversy surrounding the decision.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
What a bunch of freaking conspiracy theorists.  I'll bet we have a crapload of 9/11 Truthers and Obama Birthers on this board.

Just shut up and watch baseball.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
You're right. Why would anyone believe quotes from Yocum about Yocum?

Offline HalfSmokes

its the latimes not bleacher report or deadspin- they are one of a handful of entities whose word you should be able to accept at face value- I'm waiting until the author or the editorial board responds to yokum's statement before discounting the original article

Offline PebbleBall

You're right. Why would anyone believe quotes from Yocum about Yocum?

"I would like to correct the misimpression generated from today’s L.A. Times article, that I have not been a participant in discussions with the Washington Nationals regarding the recovery strategy for pitcher Stephen Strasburg.  In fact, I have been contacted repeatedly and have had numerous discussions with the Nationals GM Mike Rizzo and the team’s medical personnel, as recently as mid-August.  While the final decision was up to the team, as is standard practice, I was supportive of their decision and am comfortable that my medical advice was responsibly considered."

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Newspapers get things wrong all the time. Conversely, people misunderstand what they're being asked all the time. I doubt there's some big conspiracy here

Adam Kilgore @AdamKilgoreWP
This seems plausible to me: Yocum thought he was asked if helped decide precisly when to shut down Strasburg, and a misunderstanding ensued.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Minty is talking about people ever believing the LA Times article.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Minty is talking about people ever believing the LA Times article.

Personally, I think everything you read in the news nowadays should be taken with a grain of salt. Cynical, I know, but in the world of sound bites, Twitter. social media, etc. people are misrepresented, misquoted and/or taken out of context ALL THE TIME ...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Personally, I think everything you read in the news nowadays should be taken with a grain of salt. Cynical, I know, but in the world of sound bites, Twitter. social media, etc. people are misrepresented, misquoted and/or taken out of context ALL THE TIME ...

So we should take the second article with an equal grain of salt! ;)

:P

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

So we should take the second article with an equal grain of salt! ;)

:P

:thumbs:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
its the latimes not bleacher report or deadspin- they are one of a handful of entities whose word you should be able to accept at face value- I'm waiting until the author or the editorial board responds to yokum's statement before discounting the original article

Read the article. The quotes from Yocum are terse and mean little without the leading paragraphs. The meat of the article is in the author's words, not Yocum's quotes.