Author Topic: Official Winter Meetings Gameday Thread (Day 4)  (Read 19537 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Official Winter Meetings Gameday Thread (Day 4)
« Topic Start: December 08, 2011, 07:33:04 AM »
Ok, so, yesterday didn't go so well.

There's CJ Wilson still to sign, maybe we're the Pujols mystery team and...

There's the Rule 5 Draft.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Official Winter Meetings Gameday Thread (Day 4)
« Reply #1: December 08, 2011, 07:39:52 AM »
Fielder please.

Offline zoom

« Reply #2: December 08, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
Anyone else thinking the Halos get Pujlos and then work a trade with Trumbo (and parts) to the Fish for Nalasco?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3: December 08, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
I'm surprised we aren't interested in CJ Wilson if the most years he'll get is five.

I'm not sure whether to be pleased or annoyed that RZO isn't having knee-jerk reactions to the fishies and trying to sign any major player he can.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: December 08, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »
Worst 0ffseason ever, and freak the Rule-5 draft. Time for Rizzo to draft another oft-injured reliever i.e. Terrell Young, Elvin Ramirez or trade the pick for worse crap i.e. Brian Bruney.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #5: December 08, 2011, 08:18:46 AM »
 Ya know Rizzo doesn't rush and he takes his time, and he is very secretive; but he needs to step up to the plate and offer some type of encouragement to all the Nats fans, that it won't be the same - ole-same -old.....comprehende....... :popcorn:

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #6: December 08, 2011, 08:21:21 AM »
Worst 0ffseason ever, and freak the Rule-5 draft. Time for Rizzo to draft another oft-injured reliever i.e. Terrell Young, Elvin Ramirez or trade the pick for worse crap i.e. Brian Bruney.
Freak your crappy attitude........you have no, and I mean NO Patience............but have a great day.... :thumbs:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #7: December 08, 2011, 08:29:43 AM »
I predict that a random deal that no one has even mentioned or though about will happen today for the Nats.

It fits with Rizzo's M.O.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: December 08, 2011, 08:43:39 AM »

How can this possibly be the worst when with the exception of the Werth deal this is absolutely typical?  Start with the GM setting high expectations followed by bids falling short and targeted players going elsewhere, ending up with the same payroll and no team depth.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: December 08, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
I predict that a random deal that no one has even mentioned or though about will happen today for the Nats.

It fits with Rizzo's M.O.
Signing bum OFer Brett Carroll?

According to a source, the #nats have signed OF Brett Carroll (formerly of the Marlins, Royals, Red Sox & Brewers orgs) to a minor lg. deal.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: December 08, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
boy i can't wait to make major moves in the rule 5 today!  going to change my whole outlook on the offseason!!!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #11: December 08, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
Expectations. That's what makes this the worst. We expected that they'd add necessary pieces. :(

How can this possibly be the worst when with the exception of the Werth deal this is absolutely typical?  Start with the GM setting high expectations followed by bids falling short and targeted players going elsewhere, ending up with the same payroll and no team depth.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: December 08, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Signing bum OFer Brett Carroll?

expect a long slow trudge to spring training sprinkled with intermittent announcements of one-year bench signings.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: December 08, 2011, 09:00:38 AM »
apologies if this was posted already, but there's a story on MLB.com that the Mets were looking at trading Bobby Parnell.  He'd slot in pretty nicely into our rotation.

Parnell's average fastball sat at a blistering 97.2mph last season, and he posted a 3.64 ERA, 9.7 K/9, 4.1 BB/9, and 50.6% groundball rate in 59 1/3 innings.

And the Mets do need a SS.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #14: December 08, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
So many of you are so quick to dump on Rizzo for the Werth contract, but seem to want us to sign someone to a similarly bad deal for the sake of doing something. 

4 years and 58 mil is too much for Buerhle.
6 years and 106 is too much for Reyes
10 years and 220 is way too much for any 32 year old player (Pujols)
6 years is too much for any starting pitcher, much less a #3 (Wilson)

I want to see us improve, but I don’t want to throw another anchor contract on this team either.  We can get by with Werth’s, let’s not add to it.

Fielder is a guy that seems worth the big bucks, but his body concerns me.

I think we might be better off trying to pull a deal.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: December 08, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
apologies if this was posted already, but there's a story on MLB.com that the Mets were looking at trading Bobby Parnell.  He'd slot in pretty nicely into our rotation.

And the Mets do need a SS.

Bobby Parnell is HRod without the wicked curveball.  He failed, miserably I might add, as a starter for the Mess.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #16: December 08, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »
Agreed. But I want to see *something* happen. Something. Anything.
So many of you are so quick to dump on Rizzo for the Werth contract, but seem to want us to sign someone to a similarly bad deal for the sake of doing something. 

I want to see us improve, but I don’t want to throw another anchor contract on this team either.  We can get by with Werth’s, let’s not add to it.

Offline blue911

« Reply #17: December 08, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »
Bobby Parnell is HRod without the wicked curveball.  He failed, miserably I might add, as a starter for the Mess.

Oh course, I'd take him in a second. He could be our designated "Drill Utley" guy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: December 08, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »
Oh course, I'd take him in a second. He could be our designated "Drill Utley" guy.

You'd sign me to do that if I could still hit 85mph on the gun.  :lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: December 08, 2011, 09:16:56 AM »

Making smart moves is a given, the desire to see the team increase payroll certainly does not mean that we should throw out stupid money at every bum available.  But the biggest problem with the Werth deal is that now that old man Lerner has been burned once he is likely to be gun shy about pulling the trigger on another mega deal.  Same thing happened with Smiley.

Offline zoom

« Reply #20: December 08, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
I am still not convinced that Lerner is as influential as many think he is.  Rizzo is a scout, by nature.  I think (but have not proof) that he prefers scouting players he likes for a better price.  It was Rizzo that said no to Dunn, no Lerner.  I also think Rizzo's scout background leads to him overvaluing his prospects. 

re: Werth.  I think that was a combined effort (Rizzo and ownership) to make a splash and 'introduce' the team as 'players'. 

And, unfortunately, this is about the worst FA class that i can remember.  It seems apparent to me that the vast majority of teams are sitting on the sidelines this year.  The Fish appear to be outbidding themselves in many of these signings.

Just my .02.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: December 08, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »

i think Pujols might be the exception in your list, even if he's a 6 WAR player for the next few years, he could still be worth that sort of a contract, the key though is that you don't give him a no-trade so when he's 38 you can send him to an AL club to DH.

Offline imref

« Reply #22: December 08, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
Agreed. But I want to see *something* happen. Something. Anything.

announcing an 8/$160 million extension for Zimmerman would go along way toward placating the fan base.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: December 08, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
announcing an 8/$160 million extension for Zimmerman would go along way toward placating the fan base.

Meh.  You don't get credit for some crap you're supposed to do

-Chris Rock

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #24: December 08, 2011, 09:45:55 AM »
Meh.  You don't get credit for some crap you're supposed to do

-Chris Rock

I would be thrilled if they did that.  It would mean a lot in a lot of ways, and at this point, achieving "supposed to" would seem like a big step in the right direction.