Author Topic: Tablet PC thread (ITT: Tablet Gaming!)  (Read 5077 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Tablets are the future (Tablet PC thread)
« Reply #100: December 06, 2011, 05:19:51 PM »
I actually bought a fire specifically for what they 'take away'- I like that it's basically a kindle, browser, and has access to my amazon videos. Some people actually want a product tied to an ecosystem- to me my tablet isn't a computer, it's purely a conduit to my amazon content (primarily my kindle library) and a browser. I would never buy a similarly restricted computer (if mac pushes the app sore any stronger, I think my next desktop will be linux or windows), but I really don't want to even deal with knowing my tablet has an os- I just want to get to the content

Right.  I completely get that, and agree with it.  There are still a lot of problems with initial cost, purchase mobility, etc., but in theory we need more devices like the Fire.

I'm going straight command line from now on.

That's how I run the forum :P

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #101: December 06, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
There are still a lot of problems with initial cost, purchase mobility, etc., but in theory we need more devices like the Fire.

That's how I run the forum :P

that's my problem with the ipad- for $800 I want control over my device, for $200, I'm content to not have purchase mobility or any real access to my device (i.e. file structure, ability to install 3rd party apps...)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #102: December 06, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
I think we need to get to the point where the tablet itself is essentially a disposable commodity before they become truly ubiquitous.

Star Trek here we come :woop: :mg:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #103: December 06, 2011, 05:26:54 PM »
I could see amazon eventually giving them away to prime subscribers as the component prices drop

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #104: December 06, 2011, 06:06:43 PM »
What does a prime subscription go for, and what do you get? I can't get a really clear picture of that from the Amazon web site...

Does it get me the TV/video that Netflix/Hulu gets me?

I could see amazon eventually giving them away to prime subscribers as the component prices drop

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #105: December 06, 2011, 06:19:07 PM »
What does a prime subscription go for, and what do you get? I can't get a really clear picture of that from the Amazon web site...

From what I can tell Prime gets me an annual service charge, a lot more emails in my inbox, and free expedited shipping on items that already get delivered quickly.  I'm a member but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #106: December 06, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »

$79 per year, video library is similar to netflix, 2 day shipping on a lot of things, and one kindle book per month from a decent size pool of selections

Offline The Chief

« Reply #107: December 06, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
The real future is everybody being nickle-and-dimed to death by small charges from the hundreds of different services required to do anything.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #108: December 06, 2011, 06:34:12 PM »
The real future is everybody being nickle-and-dimed to death by small charges from the hundreds of different services required to do anything.

Like, for example, having to "donate" to keep a sports forum going?  :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #109: December 06, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »
Like, for example, having to "donate" to keep a sports forum going?  :P

No, that's completely voluntary.

Jerk ;)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #110: December 06, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
What does a prime subscription go for, and what do you get?

If you have a .edu account it's $39.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #111: December 06, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
If you have a .edu account it's $39.

Is that full access?  Because I got a free year with an edu address and it was only for the shipping stuff, no vids or books or anything.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #112: December 06, 2011, 07:55:18 PM »
Is that full access?  Because I got a free year with an edu address and it was only for the shipping stuff, no vids or books or anything.

It's full access if you pay the $39.  I did the six months for free but I finally broke down and did the $39 deal. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #113: December 07, 2011, 08:01:38 AM »
If I could end my netflix subscription, I would do it, but my kids stream video on their devices a lot, and Netflix doesn't seem to discriminate how many users are logged on to my Netflix ID. :) I'll have to check what percentage of their time is Netflix versus Hulu.

$79 per year, video library is similar to netflix, 2 day shipping on a lot of things, and one kindle book per month from a decent size pool of selections

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #115: December 10, 2011, 12:10:46 PM »
Now I'm thinking I should have bought one of the smaller tablets as I just bought one of these things to make it easy to chat in the car and I don't know if the Prime will fit in it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #116: December 10, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
I'm shocked they can sell that.
Now I'm thinking I should have bought one of the smaller tablets as I just bought one of these things to make it easy to chat in the car and I don't know if the Prime will fit in it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #117: December 11, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
Fire lovers should not read the bullets listed at the end of this blog entry:

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/amazon-kindle-fire-review-news-fired-android-2.3-ux-hottest-tablet-android.html

Fire users with connection problems should read this entry:

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/amazon-kindle-fire-wi-fi-internet-connections-dhcp-software-update-needed.html

Another Fire issue is covered in the entry below, kids hitting the one click purchase, but with my phone I handle that by having the kids put it in Airplane mode whenever they use it.

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/kindle-fire-fired-parents-4-1-click-toyed-unlocked-examined.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #118: December 11, 2011, 03:12:56 PM »

it's an $8 box, it still am more of a fan of the USB toaster personally.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #119: December 11, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »

No kidding. Although, I've seen a guy driving in high volume rush hour while reading a newspaper.  :?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: December 11, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »
Fire lovers should not read the bullets listed at the end of this blog entry:

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/amazon-kindle-fire-review-news-fired-android-2.3-ux-hottest-tablet-android.html

Fire users with connection problems should read this entry:

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/amazon-kindle-fire-wi-fi-internet-connections-dhcp-software-update-needed.html

Another Fire issue is covered in the entry below, kids hitting the one click purchase, but with my phone I handle that by having the kids put it in Airplane mode whenever they use it.

http://wirelessandmobilenews.com/2011/12/kindle-fire-fired-parents-4-1-click-toyed-unlocked-examined.html

damn $200 dollar tablet won't perform wont perform like a $600 glaaxy or $500 ipad, I'm shocked, shocked

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #121: December 11, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »

Halfsmokes is right, it's a prank box for Christmas gifts.  They also have a coffee maker that works in the shower.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #122: December 12, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
The device does do one thing well, he said. Shopping on Amazon is a breeze. “If I were given to conspiracy theories, I’d say that Amazon deliberately designed a poor Web browsing user experience to keep Fire users from shopping on competing sites,” Mr. Nielsen said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/As-Kindle-Fire-Faces-Critics-nytimes-3718699832.html

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #123: December 12, 2011, 08:32:14 PM »
5,000 reviews on amazon with a 4 star average- most people are happy with it. The tech writers who expected ipads for $200 seem to be the only ones disappointed

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #124: December 12, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
5,000 reviews on amazon with a 4 star average- most people are happy with it. The tech writers who expected ipads for $200 seem to be the only ones disappointed

This, this, and more of this. People who buy the Kindle looking for all the bullcrap an ipad gives you (like a camera! because you don't look like a freaking idiot taking a picture with your ipad in public, you douchebag) are the ones who don't like it. I absolutely love my Kindle and have gotten MORE than I expected from it.