Author Topic: Washington Capitals (2011-12)  (Read 94333 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Washington Capitals 2011-2012 Thread
« Reply #475: January 11, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
I went to a Caps game way back when (my only ever pro sport game) and they gave you a free meal from Wendys or Taco Bell or some such place if the Caps won.  They didn't :|

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #476: January 11, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »
Ovie was a beast on that last possession.  Nothing to show for it, but wow.  Shots, passes, hits, steals, he was doing it all.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #477: January 11, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
They did that a Giant too, right?

I'm not too sure about Giant. I know Wendys for a fact, I also got them through my fathers work and brothers wife's work too.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #478: January 11, 2012, 09:58:39 PM »
Good win, now let's win the next 3 at home

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #479: January 11, 2012, 09:59:43 PM »
I meant I used to get them for free from Wendys, back when you could buy a meal and get tickets for free. Obviously not anymore.

A buddy's wife had season tickets. She used them for her job to give to potential clients. She would usually give me a game or two a week for free. My friend ended up divorcing her and she cut me off.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #480: January 11, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Nice game by Vokoun.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #481: January 11, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #482: January 12, 2012, 07:36:26 AM »
 Nice win. This new coach seems to be getting what he wants from the team in a short period of time. New coach - New blood - New possibilities. CAPS looking pretty good -I am definitely geared up to go to more games.  :yesyes:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #483: January 12, 2012, 08:09:50 AM »
Awsome game!

Offline Bloo

« Reply #484: January 12, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Congrats to Ovy and Wideman in making the All-Star Game!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #485: January 12, 2012, 05:26:03 PM »
They could use a little more offense. However, even though we were outshot, we might have had a slight edge in chances. Still a lot of puck fumbling going on. Effort seems to be there. Just need to be sharper

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #486: January 12, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »
Hendricks is The Crusher.  He won that fight hands down.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #487: January 13, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
great start! 2-0

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #488: January 13, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
Good job surviving tonight's game, Caps.

I'm still pretty confident at some point this team will turn it on and go on a good streak after Backstrom gets back on to the ice. Ovechkin is slowly turning it back on. I just don't understand what's wrong with the guy right now.

I'm confident we'll make the playoffs.However either way I'm ready to see McPhee go....

Dale Hunter is slowly growing on me as a legit coach and not just a interim.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #489: January 14, 2012, 12:51:13 AM »
Good job surviving tonight's game, Caps.

I'm still pretty confident at some point this team will turn it on and go on a good streak after Backstrom gets back on to the ice. Ovechkin is slowly turning it back on. I just don't understand what's wrong with the guy right now.

I'm confident we'll make the playoffs.However either way I'm ready to see McPhee go....

Dale Hunter is slowly growing on me as a legit coach and not just a interim.

there is some strange crap going on. part of me thinks there was an overcompensation to switch styles/systems. lost to the penguins/champs in seven games. even ly played series. maybe slightly outplayed. get a couple bounces and you win it. lost to the canadiens in seven games. crap happens. hot goalie. goal bogusly disallowed inthe beginning of the thrid period of game seven.  losing streak. change to a defensive style. steamroll the rangers. lose horrribly to tb.  ?????

we cashed in on some powerplays tonight but went loooooooooooooong stretches without a shot

maybe we were playing shutdown d. but it didnt seem so shutdown at times

i suppose any win is good if you are missing backstrom and green, but our lower lines need to be better than other teams lower lines. not really seeing it. got outshot but not necessarily outchanced.

i hope dale knows what he is doing and maybe the team is trying REALLY hard to sit on the lead while sacrificing offense. game would have been much less close had knuble not jerked off a puck that led to a goal

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #490: January 15, 2012, 12:40:38 AM »
I still don't understand why anyone wants McPhee out... He's a top three GM. It's not his fault the players keep screwing up- he's tried to mix it up and cut fat, but it apparently hasn't worked.

I believe in Dale Hunter as a coach. In the OHL his first season was terrible, but eh stayed on with the London Knights. 10 seasons later he became the winningest coach in OHL history. Tat tells me he needs a year to install his system, and that he makes excellent offseason decisions/preparations. I hope he keeps the job.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #491: January 15, 2012, 12:59:15 AM »
I still don't understand why anyone wants McPhee out... He's a top three GM. It's not his fault the players keep screwing up- he's tried to mix it up and cut fat, but it apparently hasn't worked.

I believe in Dale Hunter as a coach. In the OHL his first season was terrible, but eh stayed on with the London Knights. 10 seasons later he became the winningest coach in OHL history. Tat tells me he needs a year to install his system, and that he makes excellent offseason decisions/preparations. I hope he keeps the job.

Two playoff series wins in 12 years (I'm not counting 1998). He's made some big-time mistakes and for the most part his drafting outside of the first round has been extremely poor. I don't think McPhee needs to go right now, but let's see how the season ends. Poti's contract - terrible. Schultz's contract - terrible. Remember Nylander and all those awful years where our defense was made up of Doig and Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre? You can even argue he overpaid for Semin and Laich. I don't think he's a bad general manager but let's be real: a miracle run in 2008 thanks to Ovechkin (GMGM made some great moves at the deadline to help) saved his job, and he deserves to be on the chopping block. At what point does he not get the blame for an organization that cannot win? It IS his fault to an extent when he brings in players who can't get it done or gives players bad contracts. A general manager should be able to have some kind of pulse of the team and I fault him for believing in Bruce for as long as he did, though I think Ted had some influence on that as well.

He is not a top-three general manager. Not even close. The guy has won two playoff series in a decade! Ken Holland craps all over McPhee, as does Ray Shero. Both are incredibly superior, Boston's GM Chicarelli is also much better, and I give Glen Sather a lot of credit for building this current Rangers team that is pretty damn scary.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #492: January 15, 2012, 03:01:57 AM »
McPhee is not a top-three GM lol.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #493: January 15, 2012, 10:45:05 AM »
McPhee is not a top-three GM lol.

Gotta agree with this. No offense to GMGM, but I think it's time for a new direction.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #494: January 15, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
Caps move in to a tie for 1st place in the SE Division with a win over Carolina.  :clap:

Pros:
Orlov gets his first NHL goal
Vokoun with another solid effort. He actually saved the Caps in this one.

Cons:
Still can't get the puck out of their own end
Hurricanes outshot the Caps (Vokoun faced 44 shots)  :shock:

This team has to get better. They've won three in a row, but they've been outshot badly in those games and all three of the teams that they have played were coming in after playing the night before. That doesn't exactly instill confidence.

Also..Caps are missing Backstrom badly. Anyone heard anything about his possible return?

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #495: January 15, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »

Two playoff series wins in 12 years (I'm not counting 1998). He's made some big-time mistakes and for the most part his drafting outside of the first round has been extremely poor. I don't think McPhee needs to go right now, but let's see how the season ends. Poti's contract - terrible. Schultz's contract - terrible. Remember Nylander and all those awful years where our defense was made up of Doig and Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre? You can even argue he overpaid for Semin and Laich. I don't think he's a bad general manager but let's be real: a miracle run in 2008 thanks to Ovechkin (GMGM made some great moves at the deadline to help) saved his job, and he deserves to be on the chopping block. At what point does he not get the blame for an organization that cannot win? It IS his fault to an extent when he brings in players who can't get it done or gives players bad contracts. A general manager should be able to have some kind of pulse of the team and I fault him for believing in Bruce for as long as he did, though I think Ted had some influence on that as well.

He is not a top-three general manager. Not even close. The guy has won two playoff series in a decade! Ken Holland craps all over McPhee, as does Ray Shero. Both are incredibly superior, Boston's GM Chicarelli is also much better, and I give Glen Sather a lot of credit for building this current Rangers team that is pretty damn scary.

The team was rebuilding for 5 years. He can't be blamed for that stretch, as he actually got the team winning sooner than expected. Nylander was also not his fault- maybe you can blame him for sticking with Hanlon through the offseason, but Nylander was able to play Hanlon's style, not Boudreau's. This offseason the Caps had by far the best offseason of any team- which does not guarantee victory, but it does signify a good GM. You can argue sticking with Boudreau too long as well (though I don't agree). Schultz, believe it or not, had an excellent year before getting his contract. He led the league in +/- that year (granted he was playing on a loaded offensive team, but that means he didn't screw up very often either). Poti, I admit, was bad. But every GM makes bad decisions.

Holland is the best in the league. I would argue about Shero- His best players were inherited, and I attribute the Penguins' good play more to Bylsma than him. Thomas, by far the Bruins' best player, was around before Chiarelli came. McPhee is the only one of those who built his own team from scratch. Their failings in the postseason are more the fault of the coaching than of the GM. I think Hunter is the one to fix that problem. McPhee's hirings have been made with specifically the postseason in mind- an experienced D and former #1 pick in Hamrlik, a playoff player in Ward, and a great goalie in Vokoun who, don't look now, is carrying the team.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #496: January 15, 2012, 10:10:36 PM »
For a significant stretch of the early/mid 2000s, the only Cap anyone knew the name of was Kolzig.  Ah, the day of 4 for $20 "eagles nest" seats. 

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #497: January 15, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »
The team was rebuilding for 5 years. He can't be blamed for that stretch, as he actually got the team winning sooner than expected. Nylander was also not his fault- maybe you can blame him for sticking with Hanlon through the offseason, but Nylander was able to play Hanlon's style, not Boudreau's. This offseason the Caps had by far the best offseason of any team- which does not guarantee victory, but it does signify a good GM. You can argue sticking with Boudreau too long as well (though I don't agree). Schultz, believe it or not, had an excellent year before getting his contract. He led the league in +/- that year (granted he was playing on a loaded offensive team, but that means he didn't screw up very often either). Poti, I admit, was bad. But every GM makes bad decisions.

Holland is the best in the league. I would argue about Shero- His best players were inherited, and I attribute the Penguins' good play more to Bylsma than him. Thomas, by far the Bruins' best player, was around before Chiarelli came. McPhee is the only one of those who built his own team from scratch. Their failings in the postseason are more the fault of the coaching than of the GM. I think Hunter is the one to fix that problem. McPhee's hirings have been made with specifically the postseason in mind- an experienced D and former #1 pick in Hamrlik, a playoff player in Ward, and a great goalie in Vokoun who, don't look now, is carrying the team.

The biggest issue that I currently have with GMGM is the lack of a true second line center. It's inexcusable that we still haven't got that fixed. We knew that was a problem prior to the start of the 2010 season and it's still a problem. MarJo is not the answer at the 2C slot. How many times does something have to bite you in the ass before you get it fixed?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #498: January 15, 2012, 10:51:28 PM »

How the freak can he not be blamed? Are you serious? HE freakING BUILT THE TEAM THAT CAUSED US TO GET THE NUMBER ONE OVERALL PICK!!!!!!!! HE IS THE ONE WHO SIGNED JAGR, WHO HIRED CASSIDY (EVEN THOUGH EVERYONE KNEW HE WAS A CLOWN), WHO BUILT A DEFENSE THAT WAS WORSE THAN AHL TEAMS...HE TOOK A TEAM THAT WENT TO THE CUP IN 98 AND IN 5 YEARS MADE THEM THE WORST TEAM IN THE NHL!!! BUT ITS NOT HIS FAULT?? HOW???? Let's not forget that AMAZING!!!! trade that brought freaking Trevor Linden and Zubrus here that freaked a lot of crap up and a drafting history that is worse than the freaking Redskins for long stretches, ESPECIALLY in the late rounds.

How is Nylander not his fault? HE freakING SIGNED NYLANDER!!! Nylander for four years with a no-movement clause???? :lmao:

Schultz's +/- stat was bullcrap and everyone and their freaking cousin knew it. He was playing with the best line in the league and did little to contribute. McPhee gave him the deal anyways and now it's clear he was never worth it. And he's far from the worst contract we've given out.

I'm not even going to respond to the rest of your post because it is so inaccurate. I like a lot of what McPhee has done in the past 2 to 3 years but give me a break.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #499: January 15, 2012, 10:58:27 PM »
Schultz's +/- stat was bullcrap and everyone and their freaking cousin knew it. He was playing with the best line in the league and did little to contribute.

Schultz should be gone after this season, unless he gets traded at some point. Boudreau needs to share some of the blame for Schultz. The guy is just not that good, but Bruce had a freaking man crush on him..which translated to more ice time.

Hunter put an end to that bullcrap.  :clap: