Author Topic: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2  (Read 9971 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Nationals vs Phillies, Game 2
« Reply #325: August 21, 2011, 11:19:06 AM »
PNC Bank, is headquartered in Piitsburgh, NOT Philadelphia, as reported by Phil Wood. 

Did he really say that PNC is headquartered in Philly?    He needs to stick to pre-1971 baseball if he did.    That way, I'm too lazy to find out if he's BS'ing us on that too!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #326: August 21, 2011, 11:21:31 AM »
Are Flyer fans able to take over the Verizon Center?

They used to, but not to the extent that the aforementioned Penguins/Sabres/Wings support did - the last few visits, however, have seen quite a diminished orange-and-black presence.

Back in CapCentre days, though, it was another story. When the Capitals franchise was formed in 1974, the Flyers were coming off one Stanley Cup and were on their way to another...and as tickets were, then as now, difficult to get in Philly (Flyers fans have been, as a rule, quite loyal - even when lean times hit in the early 90's they still sold well), they'd organise bus trips to Landover and CapCentre would be truly Spectrum South - Ron Weber, the former longtime Caps broadcaster, would frequently reminisce about the sea of orange and black and how it was actually dangerous to root for the Caps at those visits.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #327: August 21, 2011, 11:28:19 AM »
Back in CapCentre days, though, it was another story. When the Capitals franchise was formed in 1974, the Flyers were coming off one Stanley Cup and were on their way to another...and as tickets were, then as now, difficult to get in Philly (Flyers fans have been, as a rule, quite loyal - even when lean times hit in the early 90's they still sold well), they'd organise bus trips to Landover and CapCentre would be truly Spectrum South - Ron Weber, the former longtime Caps broadcaster, would frequently reminisce about the sea of orange and black and how it was actually dangerous to root for the Caps at those visits.

Really enjoyed those days (but not the losing).   A group of us had ST behind the goal, four rows up on the aisle.   I think they were $26 per seat.   Beer was like $3 ...

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #328: August 21, 2011, 11:29:30 AM »
[...]ATTENDANCE at this match: 44,685 - A NATIONALS PARK RECORD
(Standing room only sales helped)

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.) :uk: (Image removed from quote.)

The Nats Park record for a three-match series was, of course, the 2009 Red Sox series which drew an aggragate 125,032...with an aggregate of 82,526 sold for the first two fixtures of the current series, an attendance of 42,506 will be needed to equal the record.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #329: August 21, 2011, 11:34:33 AM »
You mean it beat the Strasburg Debut?  I find that hard to believe.   :shock:

A friend of mine 2 hours before game could only find a standing room only seat.  Again, another 6 buses at the park!   >:(

Bird Crap fell on my shoulder around the 6th inning or so.  When I left to get it cleaned up, Zim got thrown out at home.  I guess it would be an omen of how the rest of the night would go!   :roll:

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #330: August 21, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
You mean it beat the Strasburg Debut?  I find that hard to believe.   :shock:[...]

That was 40,315 - in fact there would be a later Strasnburg debut that would outdraw it ever so slightly (White Sox on Friday 18th June with 40,325).

I've got all the Nats Park fixtures through the years ranked by attendance, but unfortunately it's on my office computer.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #331: August 21, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
This will be the first and likely the last time you hear me say something positive about Phillies fans.
I highly approve of the ovation for the WWII Vet who threw the first pitch at last night's game, and they all stood and showed some love for the military members in the 4th inning.  At many Nats games I have been to it seems like half the crowd just sits there during this. 

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #332: August 21, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
You're right about that!  I guess we all come together to support a hero.  I didn't hear all his accolades but I believe he was in Korea also!  Spent time in a POW camp?  If Philly fans would boo him, they really would be lower than slime!

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #333: August 21, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »
I've never seen a crowd not applaud the vets, and given the bogus obsession philly people have about being working class heroes (despite having no claim to that whatsoever), nothing else would be expected. The bigger the crowd, the louder the ovation. Also, philly fans are all a bunch of overgrown teenage beta males. They're all followers, like the little dog who follows spike around in the cartoons. They all just go with the pack. No matter what it was as soon as it looked like the rest of the crowd was cheering they were all going to follow suit.

Regarding the WWII vet, I think the Nats PR department deserves to get bashed. They introduced that guy and then he was stuck standing by himself out on the mound for minutes not knowing what to do while being ignored. It was sad. Finally the umps went out and shook is hand and chatted with him. He just looked like some lonely guy standing out there like nobody cared. Epic fail by the Nats game operations team.

Offline IronPig

« Reply #334: August 21, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »
I've never seen a crowd not applaud the vets, and given the bogus obsession philly people have about being working class heroes (despite having no claim to that whatsoever), nothing else would be expected. The bigger the crowd, the louder the ovation. Also, philly fans are all a bunch of overgrown teenage beta males. They're all followers, like the little dog who follows spike around in the cartoons. They all just go with the pack. No matter what it was as soon as it looked like the rest of the crowd was cheering they were all going to follow suit.

Regarding the WWII vet, I think the Nats PR department deserves to get bashed. They introduced that guy and then he was stuck standing by himself out on the mound for minutes not knowing what to do while being ignored. It was sad. Finally the umps went out and shook is hand and chatted with him. He just looked like some lonely guy standing out there like nobody cared. Epic fail by the Nats game operations team.

Wait, are you saying that no one cheered for the Vet last night? i hope you aren't cause people were quite loud for him.

Hey I get it, when the Phillies were bad and the Mets fans took over our park all the time I hated it, but not all Phillies fans are oafs, etc.

Offline NC Nats Fan

« Reply #335: August 21, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
Wait, are you saying that no one cheered for the Vet last night? i hope you aren't cause people were quite loud for him.

Hey I get it, when the Phillies were bad and the Mets fans took over our park all the time I hated it, but not all Phillies fans are oafs, etc.

Yes they are. Phuck them.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.