0 (0%)
A stranger who has called into any show Phil Wood hosts, for decades
19 (50%)
Other: (list below)
3 (7.9%)
Someone who likes to hear the sound of his own voice, on the air
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Nats Talk Live Saturday 10 AM-NOON on MASN, & other media  (Read 166863 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I hope he's right but the more likely scenario is that Grace might be a huge part of the dodgers' success against the Nats in the playoffs (should they meet).

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Jim (of Jim and Susan) called the morning show (Loverro and Russell on 106.7) and immediately started talking about his wife's (Susan) song.    Keeeeeeeeeeeeeriste they just can't get enough.    :smh:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Jim (of Jim and Susan) called the morning show (Loverro and Russell) and immediately started taking about his wife's (Susan) song.    Keeeeeeeeeeeeeriste they just can't get enough.    :smh:

Let's just be kind and say they are not very savvy at marketing.

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Nats Talk Live Saturday 10 AM-NOON on MASN
« Reply #1478: November 01, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

1-855-458-0300
or send email to:
NATSTALK@MASNSTUDIOS.com

Phil Wood said that they receive a lot more emails than telephone calls. You should be able to call in and get on the air.

Phil Wood says that you can send emails during the week for future Nats Talk shows at:
NatsChatAt10am@aol.com

I assume they'll have the show Saturday 10am-noon (in the Baltimore suburbs studio.) I don't know if they'll be in the 2:00 PM parade.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

This show is just awful to watch. Should be called “Phil Wood’s Random Useless Baseball History.”

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Hehehe - I don't find it to be so bad.  Maybe not 100% is worth watching, but there's some insights they discuss which make it worthwhile to watch.

This show is just awful to watch. Should be called “Phil Wood’s Random Useless Baseball History.”

Offline Chelsea_Phil

Naw, I could not disagree more wrt Rob Dibble’s post (and Dibble was a total arse).  The stories he provides are really interesting, like the one about the fake player who tried to get free food in Foggy Bottom.  That kind of story you will hear nowhere else.

Offline rileyn

I agree with Dibble.  Phil Wood is much better on the radio.  That set looks like it's from the early 70's. 

Offline Chelsea_Phil

The story was about the fake Zoilo Versailles, really cool story you would not hear from anyone other than Phil Wood.  I actually like the bare bones tv studio that Wood and Wallace do the show in.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

To clear things up, I respect Phil Wood greatly (but I feel he’s much better on the radio vs. TV). He’s obviously a great baseball historian. But the show is called “Nats Talk” and he always seem to be discussing the old days. MASN obviously doesn’t put any resources into the show as far as presentation and promotion; maybe if more people called or emailed in, they would talk more about the Nats. It’d be nice if the show included videos, interviews or something besides just looking at Phil and Mike to fill the two hours. Oh well.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
To clear things up, I respect Phil Wood greatly (but I feel he’s much better on the radio vs. TV). He’s obviously a great baseball historian. But the show is called “Nats Talk” and he always seem to be discussing the old days. MASN obviously doesn’t put any resources into the show as far as presentation and promotion; maybe if more people called or emailed in, they would talk more about the Nats. It’d be nice if the show included videos, interviews or something besides just looking at Phil and Mike to fill the two hours. Oh well.
It's a low budget operation.  At least today they discussed Donaldson and the third base situation.  According to Phil they get a lot of emails, and implies that he reads only a portion of them.  It's best to tape the show and fast forward through the boring parts...

...One interesting topic today was the height of the hypothetical automated strike zone.  How is measured?  I would think that it's not right to measure it real time, unless it could be done when the batter is walking to the plate.  Otherwise when there are bases loaded or when the pitcher is batting there would be an incentive to crouch down in order to increase your chances of walking.

Offline Dave in Fairfax

If you think Nats Talk is bad, try watching Wall to Wall Baseball with Tom Davis immediately after Nats Talk. Even if you are not interested in the Orioles per se, there are sometimes interesting discussions of matters of common concern like the strike zone or juicing the baseball, and Jim Duquette definitely has some good insider knowledge of the business side of baseball.

However ... , the commercial breaks are about twice as long as on Nats Talk, and sometimes feel longer than the segments themselves, with half the commercials being the same low-budget local commercials narrated by Tom Davis every break. And to drive home just how low-budget it is, even in the regular segments they throw in ads, with routine hyping of Dave Johnson's Mountain Branch gold course and a segment devoted to picking out items from the Weis Markets ad circular to tout.

Offline Duke of Earl

If you think Nats Talk is bad, try watching Wall to Wall Baseball with Tom Davis immediately after Nats Talk. Even if you are not interested in the Orioles per se, there are sometimes interesting discussions of matters of common concern like the strike zone or juicing the baseball, and Jim Duquette definitely has some good insider knowledge of the business side of baseball.

Yeah I have no interest in the Orioles and yet I watch Wall to Wall far more than I watch Nats talk, which is really hard to watch, because Mike Wallace is such a slob. Not that he doesn't have insight and interesting things to say, it's just too painful to listen to him talk.  (I do like Phil Wood.)

Offline NatNasty

Yeah I have no interest in the Orioles and yet I watch Wall to Wall far more than I watch Nats talk, which is really hard to watch, because Mike Wallace is such a slob. Not that he doesn't have insight and interesting things to say, it's just too painful to listen to him talk.  (I do like Phil Wood.)

My wife isn't a sports fan and never has an opinion on anything sports related.  Unless, of course, she walks in on me watching Nats Talk and Mike Wallace is talking.  I get the feeling she's not a big fan.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

So it appears MASN has canceled all their studio shows. Thought maybe the Saturday morning Nats and Os shows would be back with the season starting but I guess not. I wonder if Dan and Bo will do their shows from Nats Park even for road games.

Online machpost

Online Natsinpwc

Presumably Phil Wood has retired from his work with the Nats: https://clarksvillenow.com/local/baseball-broadcasting-and-rock-and-roll-with-phil-wood/
I wonder what his hair looks like in the pandemic?

Offline RobDibblesGhost

Presumably Phil Wood has retired from his work with the Nats: https://clarksvillenow.com/local/baseball-broadcasting-and-rock-and-roll-with-phil-wood/

The articles refers to him as “Legendary sports broadcaster Phil Wood“ so I don’t think they’re talking about the same guy...

Seriously, though, it sounds like Mike Wallace is gone too. I wonder if the show will come back once things settle down. I know MASN is reducing Tom Davis’ role on the Orioles side of things so he may be out as well.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Has anyone heard any reasoning why Nats Talk was canceled?  I mean, I watched the show so I understand why anyone would cancel it, but I was curious if they announced the full reason or if it just disappeared?

Online machpost

Has anyone heard any reasoning why Nats Talk was canceled?  I mean, I watched the show so I understand why anyone would cancel it, but I was curious if they announced the full reason or if it just disappeared?

I've never heard a single mention of it, nor have I heard any of the broadcasters even mention Phil Wood once this season. It's weird that they'd so unceremoniously part with arguably the most knowledgeable living person when it comes to Washington baseball.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
I've never heard a single mention of it, nor have I heard any of the broadcasters even mention Phil Wood once this season. It's weird that they'd so unceremoniously part with arguably the most knowledgeable living person when it comes to Washington baseball.nt
That's an interesting observation. Carpenter and Santangelo never mention Phil Wood in ANY year (they mention Mike Wallace sometimes, but that's the other Mike Wallace -- the equipment guy in the clubhouse).  I haven't been listening to our favorite radio broadcast team this year -- I'm surprised they didn't say something.

I hope both of them enjoy their retirement.  The Saturday morning show had run its course a long time ago.

Offline MtPleasantNatsFan

Brian Jones page boy circa his band, 1966

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
He probably cuts his bangs so he could see and now looks like the bassist in Spinal Tap

Offline RobDibblesGhost

I think the MASN studios have been closed since the start of the pandemic.  That’s why Dan and Bo were on the set at the park for every game instead of in a studio. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not though.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

I don't think that Os show is on either, is it?