Poll

Do you like the hiring of Davey Johnson for the next 1 1/2 years as manager of the Washington Nationals?

Yes
97 (78.2%)
No
27 (21.8%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Author Topic: Do you like the Davey Johnson hire?  (Read 41857 times)

Offline PC

Re: Do you like the Davey Johnson hire?
« Reply #750: August 18, 2011, 12:01:33 PM »
For those not in the no column, you do realize that Ian Desmond batted leadoff last night?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #751: August 18, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
For those not in the no column, you do realize that Ian Desmond batted leadoff last night?

Batting positions are not the issue. The fact that he is on the roster in the problem. The ongoing pushing of Desmond is annoying. The fact that Davey still feels the need to carry the organizational water for him is annoying. But they seem desparate to find a place where he will magically find an ability to hit at the major league level. It ain't gonna happen. So they can keep marketing to other team scouts with their BS and try and deal him to a sucker.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #752: August 18, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »

there isn't a real lead off hitter on the team, I have no problem with auditions for the role for the rest of the season

Offline PC

« Reply #753: August 18, 2011, 12:10:26 PM »
Batting positions are not the issue. The fact that he is on the roster in the problem. The ongoing pushing of Desmond is annoying. The fact that Davey still feels the need to carry the organizational water for him is annoying. But they seem desparate to find a place where he will magically find an ability to hit at the major league level. It ain't gonna happen. So they can keep marketing to other team scouts with their BS and try and deal him to a sucker.

But he's particularly bad at leadoff, a different level of bad and he's demonstrated that over and over again.

And leadoff hitter in a lineup is a special position because he has responsibility that other batters don't have.  They were ready to trade one of their only two good relievers to get someone who they thought was one.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #755: August 18, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »
PC. I agree. Desmond has no business at leadoff. Neither did Morgan. Who knows what they think they can do to change Desmond from the previous attempts to play him there. I just think he shouldn't be in the lineup at all. Hope this is a last gasp try before the callups and offseason.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #756: August 18, 2011, 12:21:07 PM »
PC. I agree. Desmond has no business at leadoff. Neither did Morgan. Who knows what they think they can do to change Desmond from the previous attempts to play him there. I just think he shouldn't be in the lineup at all. Hope this is a last gasp try before the callups and offseason.

I'd love to see what Antonelli and Lombo can do.  Would they bring them both up though? 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #757: August 18, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
I'd love to see what Antonelli and Lombo can do.  Would they bring them both up though? 

Lombo yes, but I doubt they ever give Antonelli a chance... even though he looks to be the better leadoff man of the two.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #758: August 18, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
Lombo yes, but I doubt they ever give Antonelli a chance... even though he looks to be the better leadoff man of the two.

Why not?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #759: August 18, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
Why not?

He doesn't have the buzz or the name recognition of Lombo.

Seems like a guy that Rizzo has already put in the organizational depth folder.

:shrug:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #760: August 18, 2011, 12:29:02 PM »
He doesn't have the buzz or the name recognition of Lombo.

Seems like a guy that Rizzo has already put in the organizational depth folder.

oh

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #761: August 18, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
Who knows... much like he's already deemed Desmond a big part of the future although his performance suggests otherwise... it seems once Mike forms an opinion, it doesn't change, ever.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #762: August 18, 2011, 12:30:36 PM »

The 40 man is full. If they bring up both Lombo , Antonelli , Milone and maybe Peacock we will have to cut the likes of Mock , Severino and other potential all-stars.

Offline PC

« Reply #763: August 18, 2011, 12:33:08 PM »
The 40 man is full. If they bring up both Lombo , Antonelli , Milone and maybe Peacock we will have to cut the likes of Mock , Severino and other potential all-stars.

Don't forget Adam Carr, the future Cy Young winner with the 6.63 ERA in Syracuse.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #764: August 18, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »
Don't forget Adam Carr, the future Cy Young winner with the 6.63 ERA in Syracuse.

I just went to the roster and was going to add him.LaRoche and Kimball could go to the 60 Day and we are still holding on to Stammen and Slaten. When Stras comes back look for someone to go on the 60 day.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #765: August 18, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
Serious question - why aren't LaRoche and Kimball on the 60 day dl?

Offline PC

« Reply #766: August 18, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »

Honestly,  I think it costs money because I can't think of any other reason.  It defies logic.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #767: August 18, 2011, 12:41:16 PM »

Smart ass reason? Lerners don't want to pay for the toner and paper to fax over the changes to the league office.

Real reason? Adding guys to the 40 man in their place costs money and in the end people end up getting DFA'd once everyone is healthy.

Of course, with the likes of Mock on the 40 man... a spring cleaning is long overdue... but don't expect one anytime soon.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #768: August 18, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
The only reason I ever thought was there for delaying the 60 day DL assignment as long as possible was to keep open the possibility of a trade. But other than that, I can't think of one unless there is some accounting advantage.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #769: August 18, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
Adding someone to the 40 man starts their arbitration clock, right? 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #770: August 18, 2011, 12:44:49 PM »
I think when added to the 40 man, you get a split contract with a higher minor leauge amount (Spinman could confirm this) where as if you're just a minor leaguer, you make a flat rate.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #771: August 18, 2011, 12:48:19 PM »

I know he has been horrible but could this just be the proverbial sophomore slump. I do not want him removed from the roster because of his abysmal offense this year. He is 35 points down from last year and his power numbers are horrid.. Let him come to ST next year and fight for his starting role..

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #772: August 18, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
I know he has been horrible but could this just be the proverbial sophomore slump. I do not want him removed from the roster because of his abysmal offense this year. He is 35 points down from last year and his power numbers are horrid.. Let him come to ST next year and fight for his starting role..

Well he does have the lowest OPS in the NL. That's a pretty bad sophomore slump.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #773: August 18, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
Well he does have the lowest OPS in the NL. That's a pretty bad sophomore slump.

I still think our idiotic move of throwing him in the leadoff slot to start the season (after not playing him there in ST) and putting pressure on him to change his approach boned him.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #774: August 18, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

It is just too bad the Nats don't have a Jose Constanza to replace him with.