Author Topic: Riggleman appearing on the Sports Junkies at 8:30 a.m.  (Read 2430 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Of course, and he's got an agent who should know that stuff inside and out, seems like a fairly obvious thing to ask about before doing something as drastic as quitting his job. 

The agent is too busy doing interviews/media spin.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I sure don't see him making the jump to the media.

This morning his agent said that there were already discussions in the works on media opportunities for Riggleman.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I wasn't comparing myself. My point was that he has obviously forgotten how great the game is to walk away from it mid-season because of a financial dispute, disrespecting the game itself on his way and spitting on one of the cardinal rules of the game.

But yeah, he's a real "baseball guy".

That's how I read your post, so maybe I interpreted that wrong. 

As MDS wrote, there was a lot more going on than a financial dispute, this was about his control of baseball decisions and respect from the players.  Riggleman made a very dumb move for very valid reasons.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
This morning his agent said that there were already discussions in the works on media opportunities for Riggleman.

That's what agents do.  :-)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
So is Rizzo, who is supposed to be hiring a new manager.  Take the blinders off, jackass.

Should the team ignore requests for comment from the media?  Seems like Rizzo should be able to take a few minutes to answer questions that the fan base will be asking.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
So is Rizzo, who is supposed to be hiring a new manager.  Take the blinders off, jackass.

Damn man... The more you post, the more deserving you are of at least a temporary break from these boards. I don't recall you being this irrational before, but you've totally fell off the deep end.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
That's what agents do.  :-)

Sure, I take it with the appropriate grain of salt.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Take the blinders off, jackass.

Excuse me?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
So is Rizzo, who is supposed to be hiring a new manager.  Take the blinders off, jackass.
Excuse me?
No, I don't think I will.

PPPPPPPPPPEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMM MMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAA  BAN!!!!!!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline houston-nat

No, I don't think I will.

In the words of David Koechner in Thank You for Smoking, "You're freaked, man."

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
So is Rizzo, who is supposed to be hiring a new manager.  Take the blinders off, jackass.

This kind of crap pisses me off.   We can disagree without calling people names.   You need to go pound your puddy my man.   You're all puckered up.

PS   Beers all around.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
This kind of crap pisses me off.   We can disagree without calling people names.   You need to go pound your puddy my man.   You're all puckered up.

PS   Beers all around.

:cheers:

Dude walking down the street outside my window wearing the Curly W cap!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Full context...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/jim-riggleman-talks-about-his-night-at-caddies/2011/06/24/AGujD9iH_blog.html

“Yeah, well, I was solving the world’s problems last night at Caddies,” Riggleman told the Junkies to much laughter. “I’ll tell you what, I had to get down there and let those girls get a look at me. There’s some beautiful young ladies in that place. Unbelievable. Chris and Dave I believe it is, the owners there, I went in there a while back and I was in there at a time when it was just pretty much me in there, visited with them. And I popped in there last night, they had a great crowd. Hey, I was big in there. My face is up on the screen and everything.”

“Nothing that doesn’t happen on every club,” Riggleman said. “I remember one time I was talking to Jim Leyland about this, I said you know, you take the starter out and they’re always mad you took em out, you didn’t let ‘em pitch through a situation and so forth. And it just so happens I leave our starters in more than just about anybody in baseball. They don’t think that, but our starters have a lot of innings, which means I must not have too quick a hook.

“But in talking to Leyland about it, he didn’t even let me finish the conversation. He says Hey, don’t even go there. He says You know what Rig, I tell ‘em hell with ‘em. I tell these pitchers ‘Hey, I’ve had this conversation a thousand times, don’t tell me about you should have been left in the ballgame, get out of my office, I don’t want to hear it.’

“And when you’re on a short leash, you have to hear it. You know, you have to allow them to vent and disrespect you a little bit and question why you took ‘em out, because you just don’t want that negativity going around your clubhouse. You’ve got to let them vent to you and all that instead of saying you know what, pitch better and you’ll pitch longer.

“So when you go the hard line with them, next thing you know they’re calling their agents, their agents are calling the GM — Jim disrespected me, he didn’t leave me in the game — and you’re losing games, so people start questioning....You know what, some of these people who question what you do can’t even spell manager, never mind act like one, you know?”

Offline R-Zim#11

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Well, after the Junkies interview... I think we can put to bed that one rumor about Riggs that floated around here a year or two ago.