Author Topic: Morneau recieves AL MVP honors  (Read 1320 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Morneau recieves AL MVP honors
« Topic Start: November 21, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061121&content_id=1744779&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MINNEAPOLIS -- Justin Morneau had some stiff competition when it came to earning American League Most Valuable Player honors, and that was just on his team.

But while the Twins had multiple candidates for the league's award, Morneau came out on top Tuesday as he was announced as this year's American League MVP.

Despite many people expecting Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter to win the award, Morneau's breakout season earned him the honor bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Morneau received 15 first-place votes, eight second-place votes, three third-place votes and two fourth-place votes for a total of 320 points. Jeter, the runner-up, received 12 first-place votes, 14 second-place votes and one fourth-place vote for 306 points.

Boston's David Ortiz finished third with 193 votes, and Frank Thomas finished fourth with 174.

All Morneau did in 2006 was to put together one of the best offensive seasons in Twins history. The first baseman hit .321 with 34 home runs, 97 runs scored and 130 RBIs, ranking second only to Ortiz, who led the AL with 137 RBIs. He was the first Twins player to hit 30 or more home runs in a season since 1987, and his 130 RBIs rank second best in team history to Harmon Killebrew's 140 in 1969.

Well earned.  I honestly would have hated it if Jeter had won.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1: November 21, 2006, 07:23:29 PM »
I'm really made because, in my fantasy baseball league, and I picked him up to fill in for Pujols, but he didn't produce, so I traded him for pitching. And what do you know, he goes on fire the week after I trade him.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #2: November 21, 2006, 07:49:37 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
I'm really made because, in my fantasy baseball league, and I picked him up to fill in for Pujols, but he didn't produce, so I traded him for pitching. And what do you know, he goes on fire the week after I trade him.

That's the good (fun) and bad thing about fantasy baseball. I'm curious, what pitcher did you get in exchange?