Author Topic: Is Morse a part of this team's future?  (Read 6646 times)

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Is Morse a part of this team's future?
« Reply #25: June 14, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
If we decide to go hard after Fielder or Pujols, we should make Morse the center piece of an offer for Michael Bourn.

(Random idea of the day.)

Offline RD

« Reply #26: June 14, 2011, 08:56:22 PM »
Didn't have time to read everything but sure. Every gets caught up in filling the starters and forget that the bench is important.

Morse can play all infield and outfield corner spots. that type of versatility is fantastic. Not to mention he's showing he's a legit option if someone goes down at those spots for an extended period of time.

That much he's shown he's worth. If he can keep up the way he's playing, he's a solid starter and definitely a keeper. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: June 14, 2011, 10:48:17 PM »
Didn't have time to read everything but sure. Every gets caught up in filling the starters and forget that the bench is important.

Morse can play all infield and outfield corner spots. that type of versatility is fantastic. Not to mention he's showing he's a legit option if someone goes down at those spots for an extended period of time.

That much he's shown he's worth. If he can keep up the way he's playing, he's a solid starter and definitely a keeper. 

Well said.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #28: June 15, 2011, 08:50:54 AM »
He's still very inexpensive.  He had 3 years, 114 days service time coming into the year, so he has arb next year and the year after.  Even if he plays full time this year, coming off a $1.05 MM base, I don't think he is likely to go over $3MM and will likely be closer to $2 MM next year.  That is cheap for his quality bat.  I can't help but think he's a perfect fit for the Rays in that price range, who could DH him or use him at first (if Kotchman comes back to Earth).   Jake McGee will be the bait. hard throwing lefty starter converted to reliever.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #29: June 15, 2011, 08:53:42 AM »
Erm, is it wise to trade an everyday bat for a guy who would basically replace Sean Burnett?

Offline Sharp

« Reply #30: June 15, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »
After watching the Rays fleece team after team after team, I don't think I'd like to trade one of our more reliable bats for a reliever.

Offline natstime

« Reply #31: June 15, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
Erm, is it wise to trade an everyday bat for a guy who would basically replace Sean Burnett?

No!!!!! keep the bat.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: June 15, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »

Agreed. Trading Morse for a reliever is a negative to this team, even if the reliever is solid.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: June 15, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
No, it isn't wise to make that trade. I'm just saying thatt he irresistible piece of candy that Friedman will dangle before Rizzo is a hard throwing lefty who once was a top 20 prospect (before TJ surgery). 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: June 15, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »
I'll concede that I could be wrong, but I don't remember Church in either 2005 or 2006 having a stretch of games when he hit nearly as well as Morse has been hitting.

Church was on fire until he ran into the wall in Pittsburgh 6/22 making a terrific game saving catch.  He suffered some nagging injuries as a result and didn't ever quite get back to that level.  At the time he was hitting .325/.381/.544 for an OPS of .924    :shock:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=churcry01&t=b&year=2005

He sat out 3 weeks and declined thereafter.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #35: June 15, 2011, 09:27:51 AM »
No, it isn't wise to make that trade. I'm just saying thatt he irresistible piece of candy that Friedman will dangle before Rizzo is a hard throwing lefty who once was a top 20 prospect (before TJ surgery).  

I would hope that offer is quite flipping resistible.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: June 15, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
The Rays could deal Upton and McGee without adversely impacting their line up.  I am sure Rizzo would give them whatever they demand - Morse, Lombardozzi, Hood, a bullpen arm, and 2 pitching prospects who can be kept off the 40 man for a few years.  This would allow them to keep Guyer down until next year, go with Joyce, Desmond, Damon, Kotchman, and Morse in the OF /DH slots, with Ruggiano and Fuld as the back ups / defensive subs.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #37: June 15, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »
If Rizzo gives up that much for a guy with a .302 OBP this year and .322 last year I've lost all faith in him.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #38: June 15, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »
If Rizzo gives up that much for a guy with a .302 OBP this year and .322 last year I've lost all faith in him.

Agree.  That's way too much.  Especially for someone who will be a free agent soon.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: June 15, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »
at this point, given relative price and years under team control, Morse + very marginal prospect for Upton would seem fair to me

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #40: June 15, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
I'd actually rather have Morse than Upton at this point... I don't think Laynce Nix is a long term guy - I wonder what we could get for him in a trade?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41: June 15, 2011, 12:26:52 PM »
don't assume I'd like the deal, but also don't assume I have faith in Rizzo to resist. You and I see the .302 OBP, the fading power, the base stealing that relies only on raw speed.  Rizzo sees a buddy of Zimmerman who went #2 in the draft, was a BA top prospect, fantastic range and athleticism, smart guy who has had success in the majors and has won before.  He'll hear Friedman say something like he's worth multiple prospects, and that McGee throws harder than any lefty in our system, and say the combo is worth a ton.  He'll then say, you have a better player than Morse coming back next year in LaRoche, that Morse really should be in a DH league, that Lombardozzi is blocked, as is Hood, etc...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #42: June 15, 2011, 12:30:23 PM »
don't assume I'd like the deal, but also don't assume I have faith in Rizzo to resist. You and I see the .302 OBP, the fading power, the base stealing that relies only on raw speed.  Rizzo sees a buddy of Zimmerman who went #2 in the draft, was a BA top prospect, fantastic range and athleticism, smart guy who has had success in the majors and has won before.  He'll hear Friedman say something like he's worth multiple prospects, and that McGee throws harder than any lefty in our system, and say the combo is worth a ton.  He'll then say, you have a better player than Morse coming back next year in LaRoche, that Morse really should be in a DH league, that Lombardozzi is blocked, as is Hood, etc...

It's scary how easily you could just swap "Rizzo" for "Bowden" in that post :?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #43: June 15, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2011/06/how-will-the-nationals-handle-first-base-in-the-future.html

This was a good read on the Nats 2012 1B situation.  Ben G talks about Morse having a decent shot at staying at 1B or going back to LF but indicates the most likely result is trading him.

I'd be fine trading him if it results in us getting an ML quality CF for him.  I'd rather keep him as a bench bat if we can only get mediocre prospects - he'll have value to us in 2012 and 2013 as we're hopefully fighting for a wild card spot.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #44: June 15, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
He'll be traded.  Can't have him out-playing magic glove and getting egg on Rizzo's face.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #45: June 15, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
I thought just Riggleman hated Morse. :?

Offline chemist

• Cheering All Zimmermen
« Reply #46: June 15, 2011, 06:24:06 PM »
This thread makes me sad.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #47: June 15, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »
Why does Rizzo catch so much grief?  He's way better than anything we've had here.  Not perfect, but he's made some pretty savvy moves.  Some clunkers too, but that's pretty much true of every GM.

I see clear improvement from 2 years ago to last year to this year.  And I can see it getting better again next year.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #48: June 15, 2011, 06:44:33 PM »
Why does Rizzo catch so much grief?

Speaking only for myself, I'm being somewhat sarcastic with a dash of cynicism.  I just don't think Morse has a chance in hell of being the starting 1B next year.  Who is actually responsible for that (or to blame) is unimportant to me.  I just have a hunch that's how it's going to pan out.

Offline PC

« Reply #49: June 15, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »
I have NO confidence in this team's ability to judge talent (see Yunesky Maya) so I fully expect him to not have a part in this team's future.