Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 77670 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch
« Reply #575: August 15, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
I can't.

That's less than a year of Jason Marquis for many years of control of Matt Purke.

Well worth the gamble.

again if you're going to be pathetic when it comes to spending on major league talent ( :lmao: @ $60 million in a major market), then you HAVE to go the extra mile in spending on the picks.  especially when you go out in public and tell the world you're going to build a winner through the draft.

ah, to have owners and a think tank that would like to balance getting free agents and building through your farm.  it's a shame we don't.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #576: August 15, 2011, 12:48:02 PM »
We also have many years of Yunesky Maya.  :stir:

That too.

Purke is worth the investment... regardless if it's 5 million or 7 million.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #577: August 15, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
you need to think about that amount spread over the time Purke is here

if he signs for say $4M and he spends 2 seasons in the minors and then 6 seasons with Nationals, you're talking $500K/year ...roughly an arb eligible guy's salary

Offline RD

« Reply #578: August 15, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
Im all for getting Purke done. Im as big a fan of his as anyone on this board. However, there is a line to be drawn. He does have some mechanical issues, which seem to be at the root of the injury. He has to work on those. If he doesn't iron them out, and keeps getting hurt or becomes such a headcase constantly messing with his mechanics is a real possibility.

I get that there are different break downs on how the contract works out in terms of a major league deal and just a signing bonus. Im fine putting in work and going in the $4mill range. That doesn't mean you go get him at all cost. That doesn't mean you go to $6-7mill to get it done. If they do, Ill be happy. Its not my money and I want him to be a National. But, it's totally understandable if they don't go that high to get it done. He does bring some risk to the equation.

Offline blue911

« Reply #579: August 15, 2011, 01:07:09 PM »
you need to think about that amount spread over the time Purke is here

if he signs for say $4M and he spends 2 seasons in the minors and then 6 seasons with Nationals, you're talking $500K/year ...roughly an arb eligible guy's salary

This has always been my argument. 

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #580: August 15, 2011, 01:09:23 PM »
I'm not advocating giving him whatever he asks for either. Whatever Rizzo deems a reasonable ceiling ($3, $4, $6M), I'll leave that to him. Work within those parameters and try to get a deal done. But walk away if it exceeds your ceiling.

I was just putting the numbers in perspective. I'd rather see the Nats spend $1M/year on Purke's upside than 'wasting' it on someone like Matt Stairs or Kevin Mench

Offline RD

« Reply #581: August 15, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
I'm not advocating giving him whatever he asks for either. Whatever Rizzo deems a reasonable ceiling ($3, $4, $6M), I'll leave that to him. Work within those parameters and try to get a deal done. But walk away if it exceeds your ceiling.

I was just putting the numbers in perspective. I'd rather see the Nats spend $1M/year on Purke's upside than 'wasting' it on someone like Matt Stairs or Kevin Mench

I get that. I just think its pretty ridiculous to compare it to people like Maya and Marquis and say if you pay them this amount, you might as well pay Purke that. That same premise would then apply to Buchanon, Tobias, and Mooneyham, all projected top round talents.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #582: August 15, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
I get that. I just think its pretty ridiculous to compare it to people like Maya and Marquis and say if you pay them this amount, you might as well pay Purke that. That same premise would then apply to Buchanon, Tobias, and Mooneyham, all projected top round talents.

The thing is that I'm always going to be the guy calling for the Nationals to spend $15-20M in the draft whenever possible. I think there is enough value to be found in getting as much cheap/controllable talent as they can.

I agree that comparing it to Marquis' salary is specious (though Maya is somewhat debatable).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #583: August 15, 2011, 01:22:54 PM »
From Goldstein/BP:

Anthony Rendon, 3B, Nationals (Sixth overall)
This is one of the uglier negotiations among unsigned single-digit picks because you have the Boras factor and a player who expected to be taken with one of the first two picks. Even at sixth overall, Rendon was the first college hitter to come off the board, and he expects to be paid like that. Rendon’s final bonus figure may play a strong role in Washington's other unsigned picks, which I'll get to in a moment.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #584: August 15, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
In my mind, I've always thought Rendon would end up with Ackley money and I figure the Nationals and Boras will negotiate around that figure

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #585: August 15, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
Yeah I think Rendon is a given.  Purke is going to be interesting, Meyer should be a yes.  No clue on Goodwin.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #586: August 15, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
I bet the most money spent by a team on their entire draft this year won't cover half of Yu Darvish's posting fee.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #587: August 15, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
From Goldstein/BP:

I wouldn't be discouraged by that at all. It's just stating facts it's not like he's saying the Rendon Camp is having trouble negotiating with the Nats. Just that Rendon's going to require a large deal since he expected to go number 1.

Offline blue911

« Reply #588: August 15, 2011, 01:31:29 PM »
I'll be really surprised if Purke isn't signed.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #589: August 15, 2011, 01:35:18 PM »
I'll be really surprised if Purke isn't signed.
Why wouldn't he take the money? The odds of him going back to college, kicking ass, being 100% healthy, and being the #1 pick are not very good. There isn't too much for him to gain by going back to TCU.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #590: August 15, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
Why wouldn't he take the money? The odds of him going back to college, kicking ass, being 100% healthy, and being the #1 pick are not very good. There isn't too much for him to gain by going back to TCU.

He had $6M from Texas until MLB said no (Rangers were going through bankruptcy). From what I have heard/read, he is ultra-competitive and I'd have to believe it could be a challenge to get him to agree to less (though he never really had $6M).

That being said, I'd imagine if he is healthy like his camp is saying and the Nationals are in the $4M range as some have reported, he could jump on that, prove he's that good by getting to the majors and thriving and then earn the bigger money in free agency

Offline blue911

« Reply #591: August 15, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I don't think Rizzo spends a weekend in Houston if the sides weren't close

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #592: August 15, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
I don't think Rizzo spends a weekend in Houston if the sides weren't close

It's a lot better than a weekend in Dallas :spaz:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #593: August 15, 2011, 01:42:01 PM »
He had $6M from Texas until MLB said no (Rangers were going through bankruptcy). From what I have heard/read, he is ultra-competitive and I'd have to believe it could be a challenge to get him to agree to less (though he never really had $6M).

That being said, I'd imagine if he is healthy like his camp is saying and the Nationals are in the $4M range as some have reported, he could jump on that, prove he's that good by getting to the majors and thriving and then earn the bigger money in free agency

who knows if there will be a slotting system next year as well.  he should jump on a deal this season.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #594: August 15, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »
slotting system

YUCK. Hate that idea. Why does MLB need to protect themselves from themselves?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #595: August 15, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
who knows if there will be a slotting system next year as well.  he should jump on a deal this season.

Why would the MLBPA agree to it. It's not like the NFL where rookies are taking money away from vets... it really doesn't hurt the MLB players at all as to what a rookie is signed for.

Offline blue911

« Reply #596: August 15, 2011, 01:44:59 PM »
YUCK. Hate that idea. Why does MLB need to protect themselves from themselves?

Bud can't retire fast enough.

Offline NFA Brian

« Reply #597: August 15, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
Why would the MLBPA agree to it. It's not like the NFL where rookies are taking money away from vets... it really doesn't hurt the MLB players at all as to what a rookie is signed for.

and any player in the MLBPA that thinks that money not spent on draft picks is going to them is delusional

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #598: August 15, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »

They may agree to it in return for other concessions.

Baseball is the only sport where I generally support the league over the union. MLB's union has been voted the most powerful of all unions in America.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #599: August 15, 2011, 01:45:14 PM »
So what above slot deals do people think will get announced first? I think Rendon and Purke(if done) won't be announced till minutes before the deadline. Goodwin(who btw the pick ahead and after him has signed) I think will come out first. Then Turnbill and Meyer.