Author Topic: Ramirez named NL Rookie of the Year  (Read 4115 times)

Offline PC

Ramirez named NL Rookie of the Year
« Topic Start: November 13, 2006, 02:24:56 PM »
11/13/2006 2:00 PM ET
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- To fully appreciate Hanley Ramirez's rookie season, some historical perspective is needed.

The gifted 22-year-old Marlins shortstop posted some first-year numbers that rival some of the game's all-time greats.

Consider, Ramirez is the first National League rookie ever to post 110-plus runs and 50-plus stolen bases. And he is the second Major League rookie since 1900 with 115-plus runs scored and 50-plus stolen bases. Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki accomplished the feat in 2001.

Ramirez joined the legendary Ernie Banks (19 in 1954) as the second rookie in NL history to log 17-plus homers while playing 100-plus games at shortstop. And he is the fifth MLB player since 1900 to collect 45-plus doubles and have 50-plus stolen bases. That exclusive club is occupied by Hall of Famers: Ty Cobb (47/83 in 1911), Tris Speaker (53/52 in 1912) and Lou Brock (46/62 in 1968). Rounding out the list is multiple All-Star Craig Biggio (51/50 in 1998).

Such lofty standards haven't gone unnoticed as Ramirez on Monday was tabbed the Jackie Robinson National League Rookie of the Year winner by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

In the closest NL vote since 1980, Ramirez was named the winner over Washington third baseman Ryan Zimmerman. In all, three of the top four choices were Marlins. Florida All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla was third, and right-handed pitcher Josh Johnson was fourth.

Going a step further, six of the 12 rookies who received votes were Marlins, marking the first time in league history one team has had that many contenders. Pitchers Scott Olsen and Anibal Sanchez and outfielder Josh Willingham each picked up one third-place vote.

Ramirez is the second Marlins player ever to claim the award. In the franchise's 2003 World Series championship season, pitcher Dontrelle Willis was presented the award.

Among a strong rookie field, Ramirez placed first on 14 of 32 ballots cast by two writers in each league city. He was listed second on 11 and third on two for a total of 105 points. Zimmerman, who batted .287 with 47 doubles, 20 home runs and 110 RBIs, received 10 first-place, 16-second and three third-place votes, for 101 points.

The four-point difference made 2006 the closest National League rookie vote since this system was adopted in 1980. The previous narrow margin was in 1982 when Steve Sax of the Dodgers beat out Johnny Ray of the Pirates. That year, Sax received 63 votes to Ray's 57.

Before 1980, writers voted for one player. In 1976, the National League featured its only rookie tie, as the award went to Butch Metzger of the Padres and Pat Zachry of the Reds.

Uggla received six first-place votes and finished third with 55 points. Johnson, who had a 12-7 record and 3.10 ERA, compiled 11 votes.

Leading off for the surprising Marlins, Ramirez batted .292 with 46 doubles, 11 triples, 17 home runs, 119 runs scored, 51 stolen bases and 59 RBIs.

Ramirez set team rookie records for batting average -- tying Jeff Conine's .292 in 1993 -- doubles, triples, hits (185) and runs scored.

His 46 doubles are second most by a Marlin, topped only by the 50 Miguel Cabrera posted this past season. His 119 runs scored are second in team history, and tied for fifth most in the National League.

Additionally, Ramirez had seven leadoff homers, tying Nomar Garciaparra (1997) for a Major League season rookie standard. His leadoff homer total is a Florida season and all-time record.

Setting the tempo at the top of the order, Ramirez was a major factor in the Marlins being arguably the most surprising team in the league in 2006.

Financially strapped because no new stadium plan is in place, the Marlins dramatically reduced payroll. Ramirez was brought in as part of the salary purge, coming to the Marlins along with Sanchez in the blockbuster deal that sent Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Red Sox.

Regarded as one of the league's top prospects during his Minor League career with Boston, Ramirez certainly lived up to expectations. As strong as his numbers were, his future appears even brighter.

Thrust into a leadership capacity, Ramirez was asked to assume a table-setter role at the top of the order along with playing shortstop. While he committed 26 errors, a number of those miscues were a result of inexperience.

Still, he also made a number of web-gem plays, including ranging up the middle and making a strong throw to rob Stephen Drew of a single in the seventh inning of Sanchez's no-hitter on Sept. 6 against the Diamondbacks.

Despite seeing so much action in his rookie year, Ramirez got stronger late in the season. In September and October, he batted .352 (43-for-122), and his average after the All-Star break was .319 with 11 home runs and 34 RBIs.

With so much upside, Ramirez projects to be a force for years to come.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Offline PC

« Reply #1: November 13, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »

« Reply #2: November 13, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »
I smell total bull****.

Offline PC

« Reply #3: November 13, 2006, 02:35:40 PM »
Zimmerman Loses Out on Rookie Honor

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 13, 2006; 2:18 PM

Washington Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmmerman, the most obvious building block in the franchise's long road back to competitiveness, today lost out to shortstop Hanley Ramirez of the Florida Marlins today in the race for the National League's Rookie of the Year award.

In the closest election in the NL since the current system was adopted in 1980, Ramirez placed first on 14 of 32 ballots cast by two members of the Baseball Writers Association of America in each NL city, second on 11 and third on two for 105 points, based on the 5-3-1 tabulation system. Zimmerman (.287, 47 2B, 20 HR, 110 RBI) appeared on more overall ballots (29-27) than Ramirez but finished with 101 points based on 10 first-place votes, 16 seconds and three thirds. The previous closest race had been in 1982 when the Los Angeles Dodgers' Steve Sax beat out the Pittsburgh Pirates' Johnny Ray, 63-57, in a race between second baseman.

Finishing third was Florida's Dan Uggla, a selection in last winter's Rule 5 draft, set a rookie record for home runs by a second baseman with 27. He was another reason the Marlins -- with baseball's lowest payroll at $15 million -- contended for a postseason berth well into September. Uggla hit .282 and drove in 90 runs, posting a higher slugging percentage than Zimmerman (.480 to .471) but a lower on-base percentage (.339 to .351).

Ramirez, 22, was acquired for pitcher Josh Beckett in an offseason trade with the Boston Red Sox last season. He hit .292 with 17 homers and 59 RBI, slugging .480 with a .353 on-base percentage. He stole 51 bases, third in the N.L., and scored 119 runs, the highest total for an N.L. rookie since Cincinnati's Vada Pinson scored 131 in 1959.

Zimmerman, 22, hit .287 with 20 homers and 110 RBI, the latter a total surpassed by only three rookies in N.L. history. When the season began, he was less than a year from his junior season at the University of Virginia, but he ended up showing surprising maturity during a season when he was perhaps the Nationals' most consistent hitter.

In what was expected all season to be a close race -- one which also included Florida pitcher Josh Johnson, Milwaukee first baseman Prince Fielder and Los Angeles outfielder Andre Ethier -- Zimmerman seemed to have two elements beyond pure offensive numbers working in his favor. Some within the organization already consider his defense to be Gold Glove-caliber, and his spectacular plays made him a regular on highlight shows. He also showed a flair for the dramatic, beating both the New York Yankees and the Marlins with game-ending home runs, two of the most memorable moments at RFK Stadium in an otherwise dreadful year for the Nationals.

Pitcher Justin Verlander won the award in the American League.

RECOUNT!  RECOUNT!!  RECOUNT!!!

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: November 13, 2006, 02:36:56 PM »
BEEE ESSS

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5: November 13, 2006, 03:23:20 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: November 13, 2006, 03:34:46 PM »
Horrible.. Hanley isn't even going to be as half as good as Ryan.

NatsCaps19

« Reply #7: November 13, 2006, 03:37:32 PM »
what a travashamockery

Hanley f-ing Ramirez???

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #8: November 13, 2006, 04:00:15 PM »
I posted this in the other thread, but I'll throw it in here for this debate as well:

I understand that we're all pissed and a bit biased here, but do yourselves a favor and go to baseballreference.com and open a Ryan Zimmerman window and a Hanley Ramirez window and analyze the stats and tell me who the CLEAR winner is. When you look at the numbers, they seem to balance each other out:

Ramirez has the edge in:

Runs: 119 - 84
Average: .292 - .287
Hits: 185 - 176
Triples: 11 - 3
Steals: 51 - 11

Zimmerman has the edge in:

RBI: 110 - 59
HR: 20 - 17
Doubles: 47 - 46
BB: 61 - 56
K: 120 - 128

Defensively, Zimmerman had less errors but also had 250 or so fewer chances and the fielding percentage was a nominal .002 differential.

Compound that with the fact that Ramirez actually had a better slugging percentage than Zimmerman and you can see where this was truly a toss-up. Sure Zimm had 51 more RBI, but he spent a majority of the year in RBI spots in the line-up whereas Ramirez led-off the entire year (hence the reason he scored 35 more runs than Zimm did). Look at those numbers - other than Runs and RBI, they're all really close. What probably pushed Ramirez over Zimm was the historical achievements that I cited earlier in the Joe Frisaro article.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: November 13, 2006, 04:08:03 PM »
Quote from: "Minty Fresh"
Look at those numbers - other than Runs and RBI, they're all really close. What probably pushed Ramirez over Zimm was the historical achievements that I cited earlier in the Joe Frisaro article.
Nope your numbers are all wrong - it's a no brainer according to Ken.   :?

Offline PC

« Reply #10: November 13, 2006, 04:10:07 PM »
I'd like to know the writers who voted and how each of them voted, individually.  And I'd like an explanation from the three writers who didn't have Ryan on their ballot at all???  Of the 32 voters, three thought he was no higher than the 4th best rookie in the National League.  :x

I'll bet they were Florida writers...

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #11: November 13, 2006, 04:41:58 PM »
Ryan wuz ROBBED!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #12: November 13, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »
As Cartman would say, "This is BULL CRAP"

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #13: November 13, 2006, 05:40:53 PM »
This blows, but now I get to beat up the winner of my fantasy league, because during the year i said if zimmerman doesn't win ROY, I get to beat people up

« Reply #14: November 13, 2006, 07:48:35 PM »
Hanley Ramirez better soak it now because I have a strong feeling he is going to fade away in the coming seasons and be forgotten.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #15: November 13, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
There are some hanging chads in this shiyte...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: November 13, 2006, 09:58:30 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
There are some hanging chads in this shiyte...
Those are called dingleberries.  Which is a pretty good description of these voters actually.   :?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #17: November 13, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »
Yeah, and now we have to face the fish on opening day - blech.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #18: November 13, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
Well, this is a slap in the face for ESPN, who had Uggla "running away with the award, a clear winner, etc." for the ROY.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #19: November 13, 2006, 10:58:19 PM »
I realized today was the day they announced ROY honors, and i quickly went to Nationals.com. Only to read the headline that he finished second. I was in shock! I guess the clutch factor is not considered. Zimmerman had how many walk-off/game-winning hits? O well, Zimm is the face of this franchise for years to come. He will win many more important awards. Hopefully one of them in the near future, is world series MVP!

While I'm at it, Zimm' could've just as equally won the gold glove. They chose Rolen because of his reputation.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #20: November 13, 2006, 11:00:34 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
Yeah, and now we have to face the fish on opening day - blech.

I dont know about you, but the ROY scandal will make that game even more intriguing.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #21: November 14, 2006, 12:47:10 PM »
THATS SUCH BULL S*$@T

What a freaking rip off.........

I hate the powers at beeeeeeee...

F-them all...

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #22: November 14, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »
What a travesty!

It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries and a sham!