Author Topic: Sheff to the Tigers  (Read 3094 times)

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Sheff to the Tigers
« Topic Start: November 10, 2006, 05:23:16 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061110&content_id=1738741&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

DETROIT -- The Tigers made the first big move of baseball's offseason on Friday, acquiring outfielder Gary Sheffield from the Yankees for three Minor League prospects. Upon the deal's completion, Sheffield and the Tigers agreed to a two-year contract extension that runs through the 2009 season.

In so doing, Detroit managed to acquire its top goal of the offseason, the run-producing bat it wanted to pump up the middle of a lineup that was better known for its balance than its power. Sheffield, who turns 38 next weekend, was limited to just 39 regular-season games this year due to injuries, but he had three consecutive 30-homer, 120-RBI seasons before that. He is also known for his ability to draw walks at the plate.

As much talent as Sheffield has, however, he was expendable to the Yankees, whose acquisition of Bobby Abreu last July to fill in for an injured Sheffield turned out to provide a replacement instead. Sheffield moved to first base once he returned from the disabled list, with mixed results. With one year and $13 million left on Sheffield's contract, the Yankees made no secret of offering him up on the trade market.

The Tigers acquiesced to one of Sheffield's requests and signed him to a two-year contract extension.

He comes to Detroit without the Tigers breaking up their vaunted pitching staff in return, but the price in Minor League pitching was high. Right-hander Humberto Sanchez -- considered the top pitching prospect in the organization -- goes to New York, as do Anthony Claggett and highly regarded relief prospect Kevin Whelan.

Sanchez was among the bigger names mentioned when the Tigers were shopping for a hitter at the July 31 trade deadline, but an elbow injury in late July essentially ended his season there. He went 5-3 with a 1.76 ERA in 11 starts at Double-A Erie before posting the same record with a 3.86 ERA at Triple-A Toledo.

Whelan saved 27 games for Class A Lakeland, going 4-1 with a 2.67 ERA in the process. Claggett went 7-2 with a 0.91 ERA and 14 saves for low Class A West Michigan.

This pisses me the **** off. If the yankees can land these pitchers for Sheffield, why couldn't we get something similar/better for Soriano. I'm angry.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #1: November 10, 2006, 06:53:40 PM »
Excuse my French, but, so?  Who the frig cares?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #2: November 10, 2006, 10:07:45 PM »
Hmm.....Sheff with the Tigers.  That's something I never saw coming.

Offline ColtonWillems

Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #3: November 11, 2006, 09:33:04 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Excuse my French, but, so?  Who the frig cares?

Well this is a baseball board, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the Trades, Transactions, and Rumors section of it, so I posted something that had to do with that. Maybe people who come to this board care, I don't know. But I figured I saw the trade, saw that it wasn't posted, and thought that I would enlighten the board and see how they felt about it.

Offline UMDNats

Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #4: November 11, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »
The prospects look legit for the Yankees. Yankees, IMO, fleeced the Tigers. A desperate move by a desperate team.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #5: November 11, 2006, 09:52:15 AM »
Nevermind  :wink:

Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #6: November 11, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
The prospects look legit for the Yankees. Yankees, IMO, fleeced the Tigers. A desperate move by a desperate team.

I'd have to agree.  A team that does a deal for anyone on the Yanks other than A-Rod or Jeter is completely nuts.  Tigers got sloppy on this one.  YOU DO NOT DEAL WITH THE NEW YORK YANKEES.  THEY DON'T WANT TO GIVE UP THE GOOD GOODS AND THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE ANYONE WOULD WANT.

I'd have to also agree with the assessment that if they could of gotten those prospects for Sheffield, then we should of been able to get Fort Knox for Soriano but it is the offseason and the pressure isn't as intense as when your in the middle of the season.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #7: November 11, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
Quote from: "ColtonWillems"
Well this is a baseball board, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the Trades, Transactions, and Rumors section of it, so I posted something that had to do with that.

Yes, this is the Trades, Transactions and Rumors section, but it's the "Washington Nationals Fan Forum Trades, Transactions and Rumors section" not the "Every other team in all of baseball" section. If a deal the Skankees, Tigers, Pads, or whoever else make effects the Nats in some way, I have no problem with it being posted, but to post on every trade that happens in baseball, then we might as well ask The Chief to change the name of the Forum to "MLB Fan Forum" because that's what it would turn into.

This is just my opinion, but unless a move another team makes has some kind of bearance (I just made up that word) to the Washington Nationals, I see no reason it being talked about or for this board. This Forum is not here to promote another team's actions, it's here so Washington Nationals fans to talk about the goings on in and around the Washington Nationals without the worry of trolls, spammers and the like. If it's not Nationals related, I don't think it belongs.

If people really want to include moves by other teams, then they should seriously consider asking The Chief to create a special section for just that purpose.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #8: November 11, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »
Nevermind  :wink:

Offline ColtonWillems

Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #9: November 11, 2006, 12:28:42 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Well this is a baseball board, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the Trades, Transactions, and Rumors section of it, so I posted something that had to do with that.

Yes, this is the Trades, Transactions and Rumors section, but it's the "Washington Nationals Fan Forum Trades, Transactions and Rumors section" not the "Every other team in all of baseball" section. If a deal the Skankees, Tigers, Pads, or whoever else make effects the Nats in some way, I have no problem with it being posted, but to post on every trade that happens in baseball, then we might as well ask The Chief to change the name of the Forum to "MLB Fan Forum" because that's what it would turn into.

This is just my opinion, but unless a move another team makes has some kind of bearance (I just made up that word) to the Washington Nationals, I see no reason it being talked about or for this board. This Forum is not here to promote another team's actions, it's here so Washington Nationals fans to talk about the goings on in and around the Washington Nationals without the worry of trolls, spammers and the like. If it's not Nationals related, I don't think it belongs.

If people really want to include moves by other teams, then they should seriously consider asking The Chief to create a special section for just that purpose.

My bad (I think). I'll go off-topic next time. I'm not the kind of person who gets into internet fights, not my thing.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #10: November 11, 2006, 12:49:38 PM »
I don't see what the big deal is, he related the trade to the Nats from the start: "If they can get that for Sheff, why couldn't we get etc etc for Soriano?"

I wish you guys wouldn't bicker, it's not like it's the end of the world one way or the other.  If you have disagreements about a thread or about the way the forum is laid out, I would encourage you to take it to private messages with each other and/or myself.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Sheff to the Tigers
« Reply #11: November 11, 2006, 01:26:46 PM »
My bad (I think). I'll go off-topic next time. I'm not the kind of person who gets into internet fights, not my thing.

Nay, my bad, I was so freaking PO'ed at the quote I let myself be blinded into not seeing your comment about being pissed off...

As for 2k6nats's responses to my comments, what I'm think is best left unsaid. After all, I wouldn't want to make Jesus cry...