Author Topic: WTF? The Diamondbacks Stole Our Uniforms!  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
WTF? The Diamondbacks Stole Our Uniforms!
« Topic Start: November 09, 2006, 09:22:24 PM »
Diamondbacks dump purple and teal for red threads
ESPN.com news services
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2655144

What's hot in the Arizona desert for next spring?

Purple and teal are out. Sedona red, Sonoran sand and black are in.

The change comes months after the Diamondbacks, after consulting with fans and designers, decided to ditch the purple and teal duds for what the team deemed a more modern look.

Gone are the pinstripes and vest jerseys. In their place are uniforms with Sedona red, Sonoran sand (a variant of beige) and black, and lettering in a typeface that brings 80's heavy metal bands to mind. And the snake in the team's "D" logo has been made more angular and aggressive-looking.

The Diamondbacks will wear white at home, gray on the road and black third jerseys.

Why the change? Team president Derrick Hall told the Arizona Republic that fans either loved or hated the the old purple and turquoise colors -- and it was the first change Major League Baseball suggested when it approached the team about a different look.

"You're just not going to get everybody to wear purple for whatever reason," Hall said.

Designer Greg Fisher of Phoenix-based Campbell Fisher Design told the newspaper that red, sand and black palette are more fashion-forward, as well as more acceptable colors to men and women. But he said sports marketing was a more important factor than red's popularity on fashion show runways this fall.

"You're just not going to get everybody to wear purple for whatever reason."
--D-backs team president Derrick Hall.
"We wanted to give the new look more energy and excitement, to work from a merchandising standpoint as well as a uniform standpoint," said Fisher, whose firm also designed the old Diamondback uniforms. The team had worn purple and turquoise since it first took the field in 1998.

First baseman Conor Jackson, who helped model the new uniforms, said he likes them.

"Personally, I wasn't a big fan of the purple," he told the Republic. "But the team won a World Series in those colors and they were there with [Jerry] Colangelo from the start, but it's kind of a new era and you've got to have a new look."

The Diamondbacks have a lot of baseball company in the red zone. The Red Sox, Cardinals, Reds and Angels have always worn red; the Phillies, Twins, Nationals, Indians, Braves, and Astros wear it now as a primary or third color; and the White Sox and Rangers have used it as a primary color in the past.[/img]

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #1: November 09, 2006, 09:30:39 PM »
LOL thats funny as hell. Very original *sarcasm*

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #2: November 09, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »
Wow.  Not cool.  At all.

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #3: November 09, 2006, 10:05:41 PM »
And didn't notice it, but your right( That guy looks like a drunken Zimmerman)....

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #4: November 09, 2006, 10:19:46 PM »
Yeeesh.  I liked their purple and teal unis.  Oh well, what the hell do I know.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5: November 09, 2006, 10:59:49 PM »
Quote from: "natsfan7"
That guy looks like a drunken Zimmerman
:shock:  :lol:

DCNATS

« Reply #6: November 10, 2006, 02:16:51 AM »
I want to know if the shoes come with the uniform.

DCNATS

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: November 10, 2006, 04:55:25 AM »
Wow what a rip-off.

But I guess we can only complain so loudly, I mean its' not like red and white are so terribly original anyway...

« Reply #8: November 10, 2006, 09:06:56 AM »
I am guessing that is their "home" uniforms.  What are their away colors?

Red and White aren't terribly original yes but the style and way they are presented on the uniform is.  I mean, I look at this at first glance and I think Nats.  Ugh, makes me sick.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #9: November 10, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
I think what annoys me the most is that the article puts the Nats in the "now uses" group instead of the "has always used" group.  Yet another jab at our Montreal heritage.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: November 10, 2006, 10:17:28 AM »
Livo did not look good in teal - kind of like Idi Amin in one of his satin robes.  

Now if someone can just do something about the rest of those dreadful vest uniforms around the league...

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #11: November 10, 2006, 10:31:25 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
I think what annoys me the most is that the article puts the Nats in the "now uses" group instead of the "has always used" group.  Yet another jab at our Montreal heritage.

Why is that a jab?  Like it or not, it IS the Nats' heritage.  The other teams mentioned have "always" been that team, i.e. the Cardinals were never NOT the Cardinals.  It will take a generation or two to disconnect from the Montreal roots.  Heck, my father still can't get used to saying "Los Angeles Dodgers."  To him, they'll always be in Brooklyn.  

I have to disagree with the contention that some of the teams identified use red as thier primary color.  If you don't count everything but the socks and letters, I guess Red is the color for Boston -- come on, they have been dark blue with trim and socks since the 1930s.  The Angels?  They did not switch to Red until 2002.  

The D-Back Uniform is the Nats Uni with a sort of dried-blood color red, and a type face that looks like it belongs in the credits to a Dracula movie.  Yeesh!  

I am holding out hope that a future version of the Nats home uniform goes back to a cursive script for the team name (to match the "curly W" on the hat) or use the curly W as an emblem in the upper left hand corner, like the Tigers and White Sox use thier logos.

AuRevoirExpos

« Reply #12: November 10, 2006, 04:50:51 PM »
I actually really like the new D'Backs uniform. They've apparently put some thought into in, and the fans were even consulted.

It's pretty smart even if it is similar to the Nats....."Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: November 11, 2006, 12:32:56 AM »
Quote from: "soxfan59"
Quote from: "The Chief"

Why is that a jab?  Like it or not, it IS the Nats' heritage.  The other teams mentioned have "always" been that team, i.e. the Cardinals were never NOT the Cardinals.  It will take a generation or two to disconnect from the Montreal roots.  Heck, my father still can't get used to saying "Los Angeles Dodgers."  To him, they'll always be in Brooklyn.  

I have to disagree with the contention that some of the teams identified use red as thier primary color.  If you don't count everything but the socks and letters, I guess Red is the color for Boston -- come on, they have been dark blue with trim and socks since the 1930s.  The Angels?  They did not switch to Red until 2002.  

The D-Back Uniform is the Nats Uni with a sort of dried-blood color red, and a type face that looks like it belongs in the credits to a Dracula movie.  Yeesh!  

I am holding out hope that a future version of the Nats home uniform goes back to a cursive script for the team name (to match the "curly W" on the hat) or use the curly W as an emblem in the upper left hand corner, like the Tigers and White Sox use thier logos.

I just meant that the Washington Nationals have always worn red.  The Montreal Expos did not.  The Washington Nationals are not the Montreal Expos.  They were created from the Montreal Expos, but they are not the Montreal Expos, or they'd be called the Montreal Expos and still be playing in Montreal.  Thusly, the Washington Nationals have always worn red.  It's a distinction that I feel was made unnecessarily by the writer, as if to say "The Nationals are not really a team, they're just the Expos in DC, and haven't always worn red."

That's all.  I have no problem with our Montreal heritage, but it seems like a lot of people OUTSIDE the organization/fanbase like to constantly use it as fodder.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #14: November 13, 2006, 11:05:58 PM »
I hate it. I loved the D-Backs unique unis. Ya, those unis do look a lot like ours. Which makes me even more upset. The Purple n' teal was different, and you could tell a D-Backs hat/uni when you saw it!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: November 14, 2006, 08:44:21 AM »
Charlie Steiner (XM Radio) was hammering a Diamondbacks sportswriter yesterday, on why their uniforms looked so much like the Nationals' unis.  The guy was stammering, while Steiner (who is a Dodgers radio guy) was saying "go ahead, let's see some tapdancing".

So it's not just us.