Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 9435 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Fishing
« Reply #100: July 19, 2016, 08:30:04 AM »
Diving into unknown waters can sometime negate the ability to swim.

True, if it were Mather Gorge I'd acknowledge the point in this case but the tidal Potomac doesn't really hold any special dangers unless you impale yourself on a metal spike sticking out of a sunken barge.  The Mount Vernon area doesn't really hold any nasties to my knowledge.  I think he forgot he didn't know how to swim.  Kind of a weak rescue attempt too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #101: July 19, 2016, 08:31:17 AM »
True, if it were Mather Gorge I'd acknowledge the point in this case but the tidal Potomac doesn't really hold any special dangers unless you impale yourself on a metal spike sticking out of a sunken barge.  The Mount Vernon area doesn't really hold any nasties to my knowledge.  I think he forgot he didn't know how to swim.  Kind of a weak rescue attempt too.

It read like a CF event from all quarters.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #102: July 19, 2016, 08:42:52 AM »
Phrasing, man. Phrasing.

:-[

I've dived for a couple of rods. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #103: September 18, 2017, 12:51:25 PM »
I was on the escalator the other day headin' to the Park.    A guy in front of me had a tee shirt on with "The Periodic Table of Lures and Flies" on the back.      I thought about you and bluestreak   ....   yunz were the only fishermen that came to mind.   In fact, I said in a pretty loud voice  ....  "bluestreak".     Didn't turn around.    Figured he didn't wanna acknowledge me or it wasn't bluestreak.     :)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104: September 18, 2017, 03:35:31 PM »
I was on the escalator the other day headin' to the Park.    A guy in front of me had a tee shirt on with "The Periodic Table of Lures and Flies" on the back.      I thought about you and bluestreak   ....   yunz were the only fishermen that came to mind.   In fact, I said in a pretty loud voice  ....  "bluestreak".     Didn't turn around.    Figured he didn't wanna acknowledge me or it wasn't bluestreak.     :)

It wasn’t me.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #105: September 18, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

Bluestreak fishes?

I'm considering heading down to Mallows Bay Sunday.  Ought to be some barnacle crusted bass out in the wrecks, and some snakehead moms guarding their nests atop the grass beds in the back.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #106: September 18, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »

:lmao:  this cracks me up, that's going to be me next Saturday just randomly saying "mitlen?" "Frau?" "tomterp?" "spidey?" seeing if I know anyone hahahaha

Offline mitlen

« Reply #107: September 18, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
Bluestreak fishes?

I'm considering heading down to Mallows Bay Sunday.  Ought to be some barnacle crusted bass out in the wrecks, and some snakehead moms guarding their nests atop the grass beds in the back.

I thought I read somewhere that he tied flies with his Grandfather.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #108: September 18, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
:lmao:  this cracks me up, that's going to be me next Saturday just randomly saying "mitlen?" "Frau?" "tomterp?" "spidey?" seeing if I know anyone hahahaha

First game I ever attended with the "gang" was with blue911.     He sent me my ticket so I met him at the Park.    I had no idea what he looked like.    So I'm sittin' there as people come by  ...  "Are you blue?"     "Are you blue?"    I used his given name as well and no one answered to that either.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #109: September 18, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
We know what you look like though.    We'll leave ya standin' on the Plaza by the Loft doin' your call outs.

haha I actually remember a pic of you so I'd probably be able to pick you out of the crowd, and VaRK and Mattionals I've already met but yea that leaves a bunch I'll be wondering to myself "Is that..."  :rofl:

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: September 18, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that he tied flies with his Grandfather.

Yes. You are correct. But I haven’t gone in a while.  Long while.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #111: September 18, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »
for those of you into trout fishing, Virginia Trout Heritage day is April 7, 2018.  There will be around a dozen stocked rivers and ponds in various locations around the state.  Last year's list is here:  https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout/trout-heritage-day/

We've run scouting events at Graves Mountain Lodge near Culpepper in years past.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #112: April 22, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
Broke my favorite rod today   :rant:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #113: April 23, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »
Broke my favorite rod today   :rant:

There are a handful of popular ways to break a rod, most of which I have tried.

stick it in a whirling ceiling fan
car door
step on it
And new for the post 2010 era, using braided line that is stronger than the rod's ability to withstand it.  This is how I broke my last one.    :rant:

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #114: April 23, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »
There are a handful of popular ways to break a rod, most of which I have tried.

stick it in a whirling ceiling fan
car door
step on it
And new for the post 2010 era, using braided line that is stronger than the rod's ability to withstand it.  This is how I broke my last one.    :rant:

Ding Ding.  We have a winner!

I think it was the rod I bought to replace one that got caught it a overhanging tree limb while canoeing on the James.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #115: April 23, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
Ding Ding.  We have a winner!

I think it was the rod I bought to replace one that got caught it a overhanging tree limb222 while canoeing on the James.

Ah, of course, I should have thought of that possibility as well.  Not that I've broken a rod in such circumstances, but I've had to disentangle from many a mess.  With current flowing, or a fish on a line.  Surprising that I haven't had one broken or, more likely, pulled out of the boat while the boat heads downstream.

So let's adjust the list.  And to be clear, we're not including broken guides, as they are eminently replaceable.  I have also thought of two more that have happened to me, the last one while I was on my 2013 Wyoming backcountry trip.  While I had a spinning rod for my son that I could have used, I really wanted to fly fish as much as possible and this was initially distressing.  However, I cut off the fragment of fiberglass above the next guide wrap, allowing me to fish with a rod a little over 8 feet (versus the 9' I started with) and I really didn't have much problem with the line wrapping around the protruding guide foot & tip.  I did lose some casting distance.

I also broke one while poking a snagged lure free but I've also saved a heck of a lot of lures that way so think I've come out ahead so far.

-Stick it in a whirling ceiling fan
-Car door
-Step on it
-Using braided line that is stronger than the rod's ability to withstand it.
-Getting caught in overhanging brush
-Breaking the tip section trying to poke a lure free from a submerged snag
-Stumbling and bumbling along and poking the tip into a submerged boulder.  (I was rock hopping along the edge of Trail Lake WY because the shoreline was too densely vegetated, lost my balance and snapped off the tip without realizing it until I made it back to camp)

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #116: October 29, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
Baseball is over. Fall fishing has been going. Anyone else braving cold temps bank fishing like me?

Yesterday I hit Becks Pond in North Delaware. Got fish with Night  crawlers. I got no hits on top water frogs or chatter baits. I may hit Lumps Pond this coming weekend.

Offline Panther Modern

• Hitting is not about muscle. It's simple physics.
« Reply #117: October 30, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »
Baseball is over. Fall fishing has been going. Anyone else braving cold temps bank fishing like me?

Yesterday I hit Becks Pond in North Delaware. Got fish with Night  crawlers. I got no hits on top water frogs or chatter baits. I may hit Lumps Pond this coming weekend.

I'm not fishing, but I'm sure as crap enjoying this weather.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #118: November 04, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »

Good pickerel weather now.

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #119: November 05, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »
Good pickerel weather now.

This is the time of year I buy new reels and rods. I’m looking right now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #120: November 05, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
This is the time of year I buy new reels and rods. I’m looking right now.

What are you in the market for?

Offline Greg_SRT

• Fun while it lasted
« Reply #121: November 08, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
What are you in the market for?

Thinking I’m gonna buy a Shimano DC 150 reels I keep hearing about.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #124: April 05, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/04/03/whoa-man-catches-pound-striped-bass-potomac-river-washington/?utm_term=.d4d17a44d669

That's a nice rock!   I've heard of 10-15 lb fish commonly being caught in Fletcher's Boat House area, but that one was really nice. 

Some years ago a fish passage was constructed in Brookmont Dam, primarily to allow American shad to access their historical spawning areas (all the way up to Great Falls) but I haven't heard any notice of rock making it up past the dam.  Them being anadromous too, like shad.