Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 82134 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #550: October 17, 2013, 12:32:03 PM »

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #551: October 17, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
Found part of the meteor that blew through Russia in February.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/10/16/pkg-russia-meteorite.cnn.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #552: October 17, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
did nasa ever get around to building this?

(Image removed from quote.)

Atari did the prototype.   :)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #556: October 27, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

My father has it in his will that I have to have his ashes spread in outer space. 

He did put a cost cap on it, so we'll have to see what sot of economy fares are available when the time comes...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #557: October 27, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »
My father has it in his will that I have to have his ashes spread in outer space. 

Put the ashes on the coffee table and get high.   ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #558: October 27, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
Keith Richards snorted his dad after all...

Offline Coladar

« Reply #559: November 05, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/China-calls-for-joint-efforts-after-Indias-Mars-mission/articleshow/25271361.cms

Been kind of in absentia of late, even missing the call out regarding the asteroid discovery weeks back (It got downgraded to non-threat with further NASA data.)

Anyways, I by happenstance clicked on that particular article about that particular space program on my Google New feed. Pure luck. That it would be the Times of India, versus any of a million wester news orgs. Partly my cause of posting were the comments on there - jesus, look at that. I'm definitely somewhat shocked for a few reasons - crazy negative Indian views of China. Craaaazy.

But also, more importantly, the pride in space. It warms my heart, or cockles, or whatever the case may be. Here, a nation crazy poor, spending (most say wasting) money in space. And its people couldn't be happier or more proud. Hell yeah!

The West, us, we could learn something here. If I see one more space article lamenting NASA's destruction via zero budget, and see idiots on farms say 'Why we go puttin' that money in space? We done need that money here! I need my guvermint checks!' A - Money spent on space is spent constructing and supporting missions. It goes to humans, on earth, for labor, resources and the like. There's a reason Reps from NASA districts are NASA crazy - NASA stimulates local economies by creating jobs and funnelling insane money for $10k toilet seats. Space creates jobs and wealth. Period.

But more importantly, the West has become so sickeningly ego-centric and entitled - space is freaking insane. It is... impossible. To put men in space? To send our technology billions of miles, have it land on foreign worlds  - and work?!? Every mission to space is an accomplishment worthy of worship - billions of years of life on this world, thousands of humans, and we, the first, to leave our world. It should be one of the primary driving forces for any nation, and the world as one, to explore and expand into space. It's not wastes of money, it's 'Holy crap, we did that? We're awesome!'

That we don't, that people don't care, or worse, oppose it, shows a critical flaw of our cultures or present day society. Everything in human history has led to us exploring space - it is a major hallmark of any species. Each mission is a miracle. Worse, the returns from these missions answer the most vital, important questions - how are we here, how is anything, and how does everything exist and work? Like, Kepler? Dead. There's crap all for missions coming to search for exoplanets, and alien life. One NASA project aimed at 2018 launch, and CHEOPS from ESA. That. Is. It. No other space exo-planet missions. We discover the very first planets elsewhere in the mid-90s, launch one mission (Kepler), and call it a day. Pathetic.

James Webb? A f****ing waste of $10 billion. Two decades. It won't launch until 2020 (2018 officially, guaranteed not til 2020-22.) For like a 6m scope in infrared? ESA has a 39 meter ground scope, first light 2020, for $1 billion. A proposed 100 meter ground scope, to cost about $2 billion, canceled as too expensive. crap, we should have an array of interferometers in space (bunch of scopes, combine their data digitally to make one big one.) Nothing. We sure as hell should be on Mars and the Moon. They did it in less than a decade. In 1969. Think about that. They didn't even have Walkman's yet - vinyl goddamn discs for music. And they walked on the moon a decade after first launching something, anything, into space. What we could do now? With our tech? Never mind the experience of already having been there, done that! And we haven't set foot on the moon in over forty years!!!

Titan, Europa, all very well could have life, living now, in our solar system. And not one mission to answer. Yesterday, news that there're probably billions of Earths, habitable rocky worlds, in our galaxyalone, and SETI struggles with funding to find other sentient, advanced species? If we found just one, one single other, it's game over - the technology and knowledge we'd gain with contact, even messages taking years to get a reply, would solve all our problems, immortality, answers to everything, etc. But we can't even be bothered with that.

So another crazy long rant, but the point is, I'm glad some folks somewhere today are excited and proud of space exploration. A shame it isn't us, or the West, and we'll pay the price and lose big time when China and India are colonizing the Moon and Mars and we're shutting our government down again. But at least someone's doing it. The most exciting part is the conflict - No USSR, no Apollo. China and India could be just what the doctor ordered to have two nations ignore spending trillions to explore space. One nation, absent a race, leads to stagnation, as we see today with NASA.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #560: November 05, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #561: November 05, 2013, 03:28:24 PM »
Having Dell tech support on the moon will require some complicated relay signals

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #562: November 05, 2013, 11:20:27 PM »
Having Dell tech support on the moon will require some complicated relay signals

bounce them off the monolith.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #563: November 12, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/27/lakes-saturn-moon-titan-photos_n_4167754.html

^^^
Why I'm so obsessed with us going to Titan over Mars, the Moon, etc.

The second black and white photo of the polar seas is almost breathtaking. To imagine all that dark area is stable surface liquids, and in our solar system...?

Granted, it's hella cold and that's liquid methane and ethane, not water, but one has to wonder if there might not just be life, microbial and unrecognizable, down there. Or the precursors at the very least (Proteins/whatever).

And yet we'll never find out, in all likelihood, with any mission answering that most basic and vital of questions (are we alone?) coming when we're all long six feet deep... and maybe not even then.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #564: November 19, 2013, 06:49:37 PM »
Wallops Island, VA liftoff between 7:30 PM and 9:30 PM tonight.    SE east sky from the DC area.    Should be good viewing outside or watch it on TV.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/media_flash.html#.Uov4sNI_sy4

Watched the earlier shot from a hill in the neighborhood.   Tonight's an indoor event.   :P

Schedule looks like 8:15 PM at this time.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #565: November 19, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
We have liftoff.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #566: November 20, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »
Was able to see it clearly from here. Too cool, thanks for the heads up.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #567: November 20, 2013, 08:49:19 AM »
Was able to see it clearly from here. Too cool, thanks for the heads up.

Right after liftoff on the NASA TV channel, I went out on the porch and was able to watch the 2nd stage ignite.   I've watched these shots my whole life (usually on TV) and it still amazes me.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #568: November 22, 2013, 02:22:02 PM »
So I've been obsessing over a new thing of late - ISON. That sucker looks like it might just live up to the hype... Get ready, we might have a daytime comet in two weeks.

A. It was incredibly disappointing for months and months. Next to no brightness increases. This is actually a good thing, because...

B. This past two weeks, it's increased exponentially. It isn't disappointing anymore.

Why is A. an even better thing than living up to expectations throughout? Less brightness, less stuff burned off. Probably has a rocky surface that kept the ices from evaporating as normal. In other words, it saved all that 'fuel stuff' until temps got hot enough to burn the rock. Meaning all that stuff it didn't burn off the past eight months, it'll burn off the next couple weeks. Probably.

C. Reports of "wings" had some saying it already broke up. It moved in range of the STEREO craft yesterday, and it is still in one piece.

Now here's the really wild thing - Sunday, it was moving 36 miles a second. Today? Almost 44 miles a second. There're 3600 seconds in an hour. That little rock has gained almost 32,000 mph in less than a week. At perihelion, Thursday, it should reach 600 miles per second. Temperatures of a million degrees. The Sun's full force of gravity. If a miracle happens and it survives, it should be spectacular.

Offline PC

« Reply #569: November 23, 2013, 12:55:46 PM »
Just saw Star Trek Into Darkness for the first time (likely my last Blockbuster rental, yes, I still had a Blockbuster account).

It wasn't bad.... though Benedict Cumberbatch doing his Ricardo Montalban impression was almost too much.  Kirk dying and Spock screaming "KHAN" was also too corny for my tastes.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #570: November 26, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
ISON is in trouble, it might be disintegrating as it nears the sun.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/tech/comet-ison-update/index.html

Offline mitlen

« Reply #571: November 28, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
ISON is in trouble, it might be disintegrating as it nears the sun.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/26/tech/comet-ison-update/index.html

Good news so far   ...  "Every indication is that Comet ISON is still intact as it makes its closest approach to the sun, experts taking part in a NASA Google Hangout said Thursday."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/27/us/ison-comet/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #572: November 28, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »
I'm hoping to see the SpaceX launch today if we finish dinner in time. Good view of the Vehicle Assembly Building from our nephew's neighborhood, so I expect we ought to be able to see the rocket if it goes off as scheduled.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #573: November 28, 2013, 02:57:29 PM »
a NASA Google hangout?  Oh well, guess I can't blame them for cozying up to private companies, lord knows the Feds aren't paying the bills these days.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #574: November 28, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
Not lookin' good:

"Comet ISON probably has not survived this journey," Karl Battams with the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory and the NASA Comet ISON Observing Campaign told the live video and chat update.    Experts said it appears ISON broke up into chunks and the sun evaporated it.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/27/us/ison-comet/index.html?hpt=hp_t2