Author Topic: Jamey Carroll - our leadoff answer?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Jamey Carroll - our leadoff answer?
« Topic Start: July 21, 2005, 11:01:46 AM »
Jamey's been tearing it up in his two-day stint as leadoff hitter.  3 for 6 with a walk, and 2 RBI.  And he's been doing it against right handed pitching for the most part, his achilles heel.

I say we ride this horse as far as it will take us.  Any naysayers?

Offline PC

« Reply #1: July 21, 2005, 11:07:11 AM »
The role of the leadoff hitter is to get on base.  You don't need a power hitter at leadoff.  And he isn't a power hitter and he gets on base a lot.

Jamey Carroll's game is perfectly suited to leadoff.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2: July 21, 2005, 11:23:48 AM »
And I dont know where the reasoning he cant play every day because he gets worn out, because he is small comes from.  But that is what people say.  It doesnt make sense to me

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #3: July 21, 2005, 01:25:51 PM »
I say go with it... And to answer Dave B's remark about not understanding the reasoning about his getting worn out. Its not reasoning per say, but more what the numbers have shown over the years when Carroll stays in the lineup too long. He doesn't start his season with the idea he needs to be in good enough shape to play every day. As a result, he wears down as he plays longer. Ideally, getting him 2 or 3 days off a week helps him stay sharp.

heads4daNats

JC as leadoff
« Reply #4: July 21, 2005, 01:38:53 PM »
Well, if we keep losing there won't be much need for him to be in shape. I say play him as much as possible, maybe he can play himself into shape by mid-August. Only reason not to bat him 1st is that he is the best bunter on the team, need someone to sacrifice.