Author Topic: Workout Thread (aka I need a gym membership)  (Read 765 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Workout Thread (aka I need a gym membership)
« Topic Start: January 25, 2011, 02:36:26 AM »
Hey guys. I have been planning on working out sometime soon but finally I am actually making the steps necessary to get a plan.

Okay so, I am curious about some things before I start on a consistent workout path. I go to UMD so I am able to use their gyms, however, it would be some time out of the way to drive their and back (but still worth it). I also have a treadmill at home so that is another thing. Another option is downloading P90x or buying it from Craigslist or something... anyway:

Do you guys have a steady work out schedule? Any suggestions? I would like to start working out. I weigh about 155 (I have fluxated between 145-155 for the past 6 years) but I am starting to notice a pudgy-ness in my stomach... probably from alcohol. I would like to start working out. I want to try and do an easy amount of workouts that would help anyway.

What are some workout plans w/ or w/o P90x and gyms. I am going to start running for about 20 minutes a day ~ 2 miles and go from there. I want to keep this a steady pace. Should I go every day or every other day? What about pushups/situps... or lifting weights?

Please, some tips would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Workout Thread (aka I need a gym membership)
« Reply #1: January 25, 2011, 02:51:52 AM »
Get some sort of functioning cardio workout going first. That is absolutely vital.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2: January 25, 2011, 05:07:15 AM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,17005.0.html

I don't know if anything there would help, but we have a thread made by a great poster.  Some would say the greatest WNFF poster of all time ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #3: January 25, 2011, 01:00:50 PM »
First, you're probably right, it probably is the alcohol. :)

If you want cheap and portable resistance, the TNT cables from LifelineUSA.com are very potent, and cheap. Don't sneer at them. The black cable provides 100# of resistance. It's *not* a starting point - there's only one exercise I use it for (I use the 60# and 80# cable for others - you could probably do all of them with the 70# to start with). Is it ideal? No. Does it work and is it efficient? Yes.

You may also find this link interesting.

http://jasonferruggia.com/it-aint-strength-training-unless-youre-gettin-strong/

Sorry in advance for any popups you have to endure. Scroll down and read the part about walking and getting ripped. I don't "jog", I run at a semi-sprint for 200 paces, then walk for 200 paces. I think you only have so much life in your joints (I'm 51 - you will be too, someday, if you are lucky) so I try to maximize my workout and minimize the impact. I find jogging hurts my joints a lot more than sprinting or walking.

P90X might be awesome. I've often been tempted.

Hey guys. I have been planning on working out sometime soon but finally I am actually making the steps necessary to get a plan.

Okay so, I am curious about some things before I start on a consistent workout path. I go to UMD so I am able to use their gyms, however, it would be some time out of the way to drive their and back (but still worth it). I also have a treadmill at home so that is another thing. Another option is downloading P90x or buying it from Craigslist or something... anyway:

Do you guys have a steady work out schedule? Any suggestions? I would like to start working out. I weigh about 155 (I have fluxated between 145-155 for the past 6 years) but I am starting to notice a pudgy-ness in my stomach... probably from alcohol. I would like to start working out. I want to try and do an easy amount of workouts that would help anyway.

What are some workout plans w/ or w/o P90x and gyms. I am going to start running for about 20 minutes a day ~ 2 miles and go from there. I want to keep this a steady pace. Should I go every day or every other day? What about pushups/situps... or lifting weights?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: January 25, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »

I do situps and walk a few miles every day, my gut grows in winter when I don't walk as much, but shrinks in the spring. If you want to drink and eat, the pudginess is part if aging and changing metabolisms unless you start to seriously workout.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #5: January 25, 2011, 03:42:05 PM »

"I lift things up, and put them down."

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: January 25, 2011, 08:36:17 PM »
I do situps and walk a few miles every day, my gut grows in winter when I don't walk as much, but shrinks in the spring. If you want to drink and eat, the pudginess is part if aging and changing metabolisms unless you start to seriously workout.

Thanks. This post brought some motivation. I've been lucky with a fast metabolism my whole life so I was able to eat some crappy/fatty foods over the years and I wouldn't notice anything substantial - until now. I was going to start today but I took a nap after my classes today. I can still run seeing its only 8:30 but I just had dinner so I don't think it would be a good time for me to run anytime soon. If I don't start tonight, will definitely start tomorrow.

Question: Before I start going to the gym or buying bands, should I do sit ups and push ups at the same time as running? Like after I do my 20 minute+ run is it smart to do push ups and sit ups after that or should I do it earlier in the day? Thanks.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7: January 25, 2011, 08:58:45 PM »
Question: Before I start going to the gym or buying bands, should I do sit ups and push ups at the same time as running? Like after I do my 20 minute+ run is it smart to do push ups and sit ups after that or should I do it earlier in the day? Thanks.

the run might be better to do before the pushups. it might give you some more endorphin energy or something. it probably doesnt matter too much either way. do whatever you prefer

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #8: January 25, 2011, 09:03:21 PM »
I think it's all good. Pushups, situps and Hindu squats are a great workout that'll leave you exhausted and pumped (I mean, feeling pumped - it'll be a long time before you look pumped).
Thanks. This post brought some motivation. I've been lucky with a fast metabolism my whole life so I was able to eat some crappy/fatty foods over the years and I wouldn't notice anything substantial - until now. I was going to start today but I took a nap after my classes today. I can still run seeing its only 8:30 but I just had dinner so I don't think it would be a good time for me to run anytime soon. If I don't start tonight, will definitely start tomorrow.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #9: January 30, 2011, 12:37:19 AM »
Okay, I think I may have recruited some friends to go to the UMD gym a few times a week.

Does anyone know or have a link that could give me a workout schedule or something. I want to do ab works one day (i can probably do these at home) then do strength workouts at the gym. How many reps/sets should I do for abs? How many exercises? etc.

I've taken a couple classes in high school on lifting (plus some came with football workouts) but I've seemed to have forgotten the exact reps and crap. I miss those days. Really helped me stay in shape.

Offline heeman82

« Reply #10: February 06, 2011, 07:01:11 PM »
Free weights and free weights only.  3 sets of 8-12 reps per set with only basic exercises for the first 4-6 weeks.  After that you should try doing pyramids (8-6-4-2 reps).  Do your cardio work after lifting, as this will also help the lactic acid from settling and making you as sore the next day.  Forget the high-speed power bands and stuff--waste of money!
Go big or go home baby

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #11: February 06, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »
Free weights and free weights only.  3 sets of 8-12 reps per set with only basic exercises for the first 4-6 weeks.  After that you should try doing pyramids (8-6-4-2 reps).  Do your cardio work after lifting, as this will also help the lactic acid from settling and making you as sore the next day.  Forget the high-speed power bands and stuff--waste of money!
Go big or go home baby

I have a catch 22: My back is wrecked, but I need to work out my core to get it back in shape. I do miss lifting though - shoulder press is the best.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #12: February 06, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
I have a catch 22: My back is wrecked, but I need to work out my core to get it back in shape. I do miss lifting though - shoulder press is the best.

Same situation here.  I've got another 30-40lbs to drop.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: February 06, 2011, 07:08:40 PM »
Free weights and free weights only.  

Free weights have a flaw.  They rely upon gravity and thus only exercise muscles that can be used to lift them up.  I am really getting into using those cable things that you can position up high, and pulling them down at various angles and directions, essentially the reverse of gravity based exercises.  Incredible core workout- all around abs, lats, back, shoulders arms, even around the upper legs and hips.

Sure, free weights are indispensible, but those cable things are pretty awesome.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #14: February 06, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
I started P90x this week and I have bands instead of free weights (much cheaper). This is seriously a workout and its taking like 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day to do... I'm sure it'll speed up once I know (and can do) all of the workouts.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #15: February 06, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
I saw a review of P90x.  Basically if you work out on any program as often as you do on p90, you'll get a good result.