Author Topic: ESPN.com – Jayson Stark – Most underrated players in the game  (Read 1477 times)

Offline PC

Third Base: Ryan Zimmerman

If you're a regular FanGraphs reader -- and we should probably start imposing heavy fines on anybody out there who isn't -- you know exactly where this item is going. If you're not, have some smelling salts handy. You're in for a big shock as we lay out FanGraphs' top four players in the major leagues last year in Wins Above Replacement:

Josh Hamilton (8.0), Joey Votto (7.4), Pujols (7.3) and (drumroll, please) Zimmerman (7.2).

So … do we have your attention yet? Thought so. If those WAR rankings are any judge (and clearly, they're onto something), it means Zimmerman had a better year -- if you factor in his bat and his top-of-the-charts third-base acrobatics -- than Miguel Cabrera, Jose Bautista, Evan Longoria, Troy Tulowitzki and, well, essentially everybody else. That was an excellent boost for his underratedness.

Add in that Zimmerman did all this in Washington -- remember that 80 percent of all Americans are pretty sure that no one other than Stephen Strasburg played in Washington last season -- and he was pretty much a lock for this team. Don't you think?

"For me, he's the best third baseman in the league right now," one scout said. "He's so much better than David Wright at this stage; it isn't even all that close."

....and  the one that got away... :?

First Base: Adam Dunn

Any time a guy can claim to be a famous human trivia answer, I find it dramatically increases his chances of making these prestigious All-Underrated lineups. So how 'bout this little trivia classic: Name the only player in baseball who has whomped at least 20 homers before the All-Star break in eight straight seasons.

Sorry. Time's up. That answer would be Dunn, naturally. OK, then how many All-Star teams has he made in those eight seasons? Unbelievably, that answer would be zero. And anybody who could pull that off has to be massively underrated, right?

"He's a lot better player than people think," one longtime scout said. "People think of him as a big clod, and he's not. He's not real good at first base, obviously. But he's not the only one. And the thing is, he doesn't just have power. He's got scary power."

One more emergency trivia bulletin: Who leads all major leaguers not named Albert Pujols in home runs since 2004? Right you are. Dunn (with 294). And only four guys are even within 50 of him. So clearly, this man is getting more underrated with every sentence.

Offline UMDNats

Laddie Burger scoffs at any list that doesn't include Ian Desmond and includes Adam Dunn.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
I don't consider of those guys to be underrated, with the possible exception of Cuddyer. Overlooked by the loser ESPN type people? Absolutely, but not especially underrated.

Offline Potomac Cannons

That's just a brutal list.

Online HalfSmokes

maybe I'm too much of a fan, but half the guys on that list are constantly talked about by baseball writers. ESPN might notice if they played for the yankees

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
ESPN is staffed by braindead chinchillas, especially when it comes to baseball.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Starlin Castro might be the most ridiculous one on there.  Pretty sure he was on ESPN every day for about 3 months.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Starlin Castro might be the most ridiculous one on there.  Pretty sure he was on ESPN every day for about 3 months.
Agreed. Someone like Cliff Pennington or Stephen Drew makes more sense.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.

Nothing is more ridiculous than Braun.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Nothing is more ridiculous than Braun.

He's the most overlooked Jewish outfielder playing in Wisconsin.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I'm surprised Clippard wasn't on the list.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Someone is actually trying to say he's underrated?!?!

Offline hammondsnats

i hope that's a joke?  Braun is one of my favorite players in baseball and gets the respect he deserves.  When you think Brewers it's Braun and Fielder.

Offline blue911

i hope that's a joke?  Braun is one of my favorite players in baseball and gets the respect he deserves.  When you think Brewers it's Braun and Fielder.

How many Jewish outfielders play for the Brewers?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
only because Gabe Kapler left town.

Offline PatsNats28

Or Yovani Gallardo.

Offline hammondsnats

hey i'm sure there are some at the high school/college level that are more overlooked than Braun 8)

Offline PANatsFan

only because Gabe Kapler left town.

All jokes :mg:
Someone is actually trying to say he's underrated?!?!

Except this sadly seems true.

Offline hammondsnats

Except this sadly seems true.

he's been to the last 3 all-star games and was rookie of the year in 2007 and finished in 3rd in mvp voting in 08.  he gets enough love.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Maybe his point is that coastal folks don't pay attention to him.  Was he selected as an OF for the All Star game or did the fans vote him in?  That may be part of it. MVP votes are not from fans.  

Edit - :doh: voted on 3 times.

Offline hammondsnats

Maybe his point is that coastal folks don't pay attention to him.  Was he selected as an OF for the All Star game or did the fans vote him in?  That may be part of it. MVP votes are not from fans. 

i dunno i think we are an educated fan base enough to give him his credit. 

i think enough baseball fans across the globe know who he is and what kind of player he is.  again i think he's one of the best and he's one of my favorites ... i just don't see how he is underrated.

Offline blue911

he's been to the last 3 all-star games and was rookie of the year in 2007 and finished in 3rd in mvp voting in 08.  he gets enough love.

MLB Network voted him the best leftfielder in the game. Easy to see why ESPN thinks he's underrated.

Online HalfSmokes

How did Joba not make this list?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
How did Joba not make this list?
He'd have a shot if it was based on attention per pound.

Offline PANatsFan

Yes, it is true that some dorkus said he was underrated on ESPN when he's really well-known :smh: