Author Topic: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread  (Read 71738 times)

Offline kirubel94

Re: The Official 2011 MLB Mock Draft Thread
« Reply #400: April 13, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »
have any of you guys considered bubba starling.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #401: April 13, 2011, 03:41:31 PM »

As Brian said not the Rizzo type and way too much risk to use our first pick on. He'd be an interesting choice with the 23rd pick if he falls due to signability. Callis gave a great chat today that is filled with a ton of draft stuff. Here's something interesting he said about the 2nd tier prospects:

JD Sussman (Bullpen Banter): Jim, I like to look at at players in tiers. Assuming that Cole and Rendon are tier one, where does the second tier of players end? Rather, how many players would be a suitable choice for the third overall pick this year?

Jim Callis: That second tier goes down to 13-15 on the Top 50 right now, with Jungmann and Barnes and Purke (if healthy) worth at least being considered for the No. 3 choice.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1302706433

Not too many people are talking about Barnes with our first pick but he's already used to pitching in the cold weather and has great stuff.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #402: April 13, 2011, 03:46:35 PM »
lalalalalalalalala can't hear you!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #403: April 13, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »
6, 23, 34
We'll probably go signability on atleast two of those picks. :|

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #404: April 13, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
not sure if serious.

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #405: April 13, 2011, 04:57:59 PM »
right now im hoping sonny gray , hultzen , or jed bradley , hopefully its gray.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #406: April 13, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »

yeah because we signed jayson werth for 126 million.  the lerners will start chipping away at that number by drafting a guy who will sign for 1.8 million instead of 2.5. 

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #407: April 13, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
right now im hoping sonny gray , hultzen , or jed bradley , hopefully its gray.

I'm hoping for one of the lefties - Hultzen or Bradley.  Hultzen seems like he could come in and pitch almost immediately - a lefty low nineties plus great control is always a recipe for success. 

Offline RD

« Reply #408: April 13, 2011, 11:55:32 PM »

Doubt he'll be on our list at 6.

He's a high risk pick, for many reasons. For one, he's going to command HUGE money because of his football ability. Not only will that drive his price up, but since the team can spread it over future years, there's usually a little extra on top of the amount. Donavan Tate signed for $6mill plus. Starling is probably a better baseball player AND better football player. Its going to take AT LEAST $6mill to get him signed.

Then of course, he's raw as a baseball player. Not only is that more of the Bowden regime, it's just flat out hard to take such a risk at 6. If he doesn't pan out, we've wasteda  prime pick in a great draft. I know there's always a chance for a player to bust, but Starling's lack of experience make him even more of a risk.

Then when you factor in that there should be some big time arms on the board, it's really hard to see him on their board.

I happen to think KC will take a long, hard look at him or possibly even Lindor. They've got a fantastic system, but its built mostly on arms. A position player makes a lot of sense to them, moreso than a college arm. Maybe they go an HS arm to being filtering in younger talent into their system, but I doubt they go a college arm since they have aslew of guys on the brink of the majors as is.

Still like Purke and Gray the most on ability andu pside, but I know Purke has slid. So Gray is tops on my list right now. If he's gone, its looking like Hultzen and/or Bradley would provide good value, the way they are rising. Still wonder why Jungmann appears to be sliding, when he's having his best season and can crank it up to the mid 90's. I guess its more of a couple guys rising, but he seems to have fallen out of the top 6-8 picks, and I still think he's right in that group.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #409: April 14, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/the_nationals_draft_haul_for_losing_adam_dunn/2011/04/14/AFxhXZdD_blog.html?wprss=nationals-journal

Kilgore kicks off the local media discussion of the MLB draft.  Not much there other tahn going over the draft order and which picks we have.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #410: April 18, 2011, 11:44:08 AM »
Matt Purke has fallen way down the charts. Velocity missing. He freaked himself.  I called that crap

Bauer keeps dominating meanwhile.

Trevor Bauer has had some sensational games in a UCLA uniform. He's thrown one-hitters and he's struck out 17 before. He's won in the Regionals, the Super Regional and at the College World Series. As good as he's been though, he may not have ever been better than he was on Saturday afternoon at Jackie Robinson Stadium. The junior tossed a complete game four-hitter and struck out 13 to become UCLA's all-time wins leader in the Bruins' 4-0 victory over Arizona to even the series. That sets up a Sunday's rubber match in a key Pac-10 series for the Bruins, who are now 18-12 overall and 8-3 in the Pac-10.

Right from the outset, Bauer was clicking. Going up against the Pac-10's best offense and one of the best in the country, Bauer made them look helpless. Only two Wildcats made it to second base all game and Bauer's 13 punch outs means that he has now struck out at least 10 in eight of his nine starts this season. Most impressive was how strong Bauer was at the end of the game. He touched 95 mph in the seventh inning and was still sitting at 92 mph in the ninth inning. It was that type of stuff that allowed Bauer to retire the final 11 batters he faced to pick up his second consecutive complete game. As good as his fastball was though, it was Bauer's curveball that was unhittable all afternoon and helped Bauer add UCLA all-time wins leader to the all-time strike out crown he already claimed earlier this season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #411: April 18, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »
Matt Purke has fallen way down the charts. Velocity missing. He freaked himself.  I called that crap

I'm going to need to see verification on that claim.

Offline RD

« Reply #412: April 18, 2011, 11:56:40 AM »
Purke velocity isn't missing. It's not just not consistently there.

Here's an article which talks about the perplexing issue of him just being so up and down, even during the same game. Mentions him hitting 96 a couple times recently, then having it tail off.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2011/04/purkes-velocity-drop-raises-concerns/

Seems more like a consistency issue with his mechanics. I know I read before that he takes time off during the off season, and then his hiccup this year with the blister problems could have caused him to get into a funk, unable to repeat his mechanics. Somewhat of a concern, but a good coach can correct that. People are still raving about his competitiveness and ability to get people out, even without his best stuff. Those are plus traits.

I do think that if he doesn't re-establish himself over the next month, he be in a Renaudo type situation. With the talk of a more hard slot next year, people are still going to want to sign this year. So he may go out and try to re-establish himself in the Cape this summer if he can't get on track during the season, to try and drive his price back up. I think he's still a top 12 type of guy but signability concerns could push him down further if he doesn't get on track.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #413: April 18, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
keithlaw keithlaw
Neither. RT @sdnickhatton24: @keithlaw Speaking of Purke, is he still a top 5 guy? Or at least a top 10 guy?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/2011/04/purkes-velocity-drop-raises-concerns/

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #414: April 18, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
Seems more like a consistency issue with his mechanics.

First thought I had as well, but you would think a school like TCU can record their pitchers each game and look for mechanical inconsistencies, especially in a situation like this. I wonder if they have ruled out mechanics.

Offline RD

« Reply #415: April 18, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
First thought I had as well, but you would think a school like TCU can record their pitchers each game and look for mechanical inconsistencies, especially in a situation like this. I wonder if they have ruled out mechanics.

I dont think they would have ruled it out. Im merely speculating of course, because I havent seen the pitches that he's throwing 96 and the pitches when he's hitting 88. It just seems like if he's competing hard(which by all accounts, he is), theres no other reason for him to hit low-mid 90's then to fall off an inning later.

Im sure they are recording things. My coach did that in high school for us. Sometimes it's hard to learn in games that count, though. If you're out there, and reminding yourself of certain check points during your delivery, you're going to cause yourself problems. I had a year early on that I was constantly telling myself things throughout my delivery, and my control and velocity were all over the place. Got things ironed out in the off season, and my last two years of high school and through college, my mechanics were very consistent and I didn't have any more command issues or velocity inconsistencies.

Again, Im speculating. Im not an expert and don't have personal knowledge of what they are doing with Purke. Ive just pitched my entire life, and have experienced a lot of different things. So some things make me relate to the things Ive been through. Doesn't mean that's what Purke's going through of course. Don't want to make it sound like we're one and the same.

Offline RD

« Reply #416: April 18, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »

From the article I linked:

Even scouts with big-picture reservations about Purke's delivery or fastball command still agree that he's a premium talent with serious upside and great makeup.

Its clear he's fallen some. i havent argued that. I do make the case that therei s still time to correct it - if he sits 93-94 through the rest of the season and into the post season, he's going to push himself right back up. He has to turn it around now though.

But, the article clearly states that he's still a premium talent. Premium talent means top 10-15. Even in this deep draft, Id pull the trigger on him around 12 and work with him. He could slide further based on salary demands, but that doesn't mean he's any less of a talent. If he's hitting 92, 93, 96 over different starts, I dont think its an injury. It's just some type of thing thats impacting him from pitch to pitch and inning to inning. Key is finding out what that is.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #417: April 18, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »
yeah because we signed jayson werth for 126 million.  the lerners will start chipping away at that number by drafting a guy who will sign for 1.8 million instead of 2.5.  
I usually defend the Lerners so I'm not going Linty/hammonds. I'm just saying I don't trust us to make a big statement in this draft. Seems like they'll probably step back and draft slot guys. I don't think we'll pull a Cubs and draft a nobody from southern Arkansas, but I doubt we draft above slot talent and pay them the required money. Every year there's always atleast one guy like Zack Cox last year who drops because of signability issues.

Let's get some impact position talent, please!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #418: April 18, 2011, 08:33:03 PM »
I usually defend the Lerners so I'm not going Linty/hammonds. I'm just saying I don't trust us to make a big statement in this draft. Seems like they'll probably step back and draft slot guys. I don't think we'll pull a Cubs and draft a nobody from southern Arkansas, but I doubt we draft above slot talent and pay them the required money. Every year there's always atleast one guy like Zack Cox last year who drops because of signability issues.

This is a pretty reasonable post.

Offline RD

« Reply #419: April 18, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
The Nats have continued to spend on the draft the past few seasons. Even before Strasburg. People said that we wouldn't spend money on the open market after paying for Strasburg and Harper and we go get Werth. We've gone overslot for quite a few picks, outside of our first rounders over the years.
Off the top of my head: JP Ramirez, AJ Cole, Robbie Ray, Jack McGeary, Danny Espinosa, Brandon King, Adrian Nieto, and Marcus Jones.

There is no reason to believe the Nationals will skimp on paying for talent in the draft.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #420: April 18, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »

Why was my name brought up?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #421: April 18, 2011, 09:35:39 PM »
You're a leader of the LAC faction. Not an insult, just the truth.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #422: April 18, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
You're a leader of the LANC faction. Not an insult, just the truth.

I'm pretty sure I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the issue.

Now had you RiI, I'd agree with you.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #423: April 18, 2011, 09:37:17 PM »
You're a leader of the LAC faction. Not an insult, just the truth.

That's pretty insulting to Linty AND untrue.  Where the heck did you ever get that idea?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #424: April 18, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the issue.

Now had you RiI, I'd agree with you.

Agreed - except for maybe about Dunn, but that was clearly Kasten, and who cares about KIC?